• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

OpFlash/Armed

Esckey

Deity
Okay so Bohemia and Codemasters had a falling out and now both make very similar games to Operation Flashpoint (OpFlash Dragon Rising and Armed Assualt)

Which of the two new ones is more like Operation Flashpoint(which I loved) and which of the two is the all round best?

From reading a few reviews it seems that Arma is considered the better game, despite being buggy as hell.

I've only played ArmA, and it is very similar to the original Operation Flashpoint. It was, as Pugwash said, very buggy, though I haven't played it post-patching process.

I've no first-hand knowledge of Dragon Rising

Dragon Rising is said to be more of a COD4 clone. If you want something like the original ofp, buy ARMA or ARMA2, don't buy DR.

ARMA was patched many times and is relatively stable now. ARMA2 still needs some patches which they are working on now.

Arma 2 is better than OFPDR, bugs aside.

OFPDR is pretty linear game where you can't even change your weapons. IT often requires you walk about a KM to an objective where you could be one-shotted by an enemy and have to reload a checkpoint.

Arma 2 has issues with scripts not firing right in missions and crappy team AI.

It's too bad they parted ways, both games lack something the other game has. Arma 2 is using the same command menu they had in OFP1 where as OFPDR has a nice radial menu. OFPDR's vehicles suck but Arma 2's are very good.

The engine in Arma 2 is much better suited to handle the environments in both games. OFPDR's looks very rough around the edges and has 64 entity limit, so bodies disappear constantly. Arma 2's engine can handle massive battles with no bodies disappearing.

Like I said, separated both games are lackluster. Combined they could be excellent games.

I don't think that Bohemia and Codemasters will work together again any time soon.c

Buy ARMA 2

ARMA is definitely the spiritual successor to the first Operation Flashpoint. I have yet to try OFP 2 though.

Operation Boring.

Run 3 kms to be shot in the forehead 300 mts away from your target.

Not-a-fun-game.

Well learn to play the game then!

Top Bottom