Over the Reich - McMonkey vs. JPetroski

Allies Turn 15

-Le Havre port destroyed by B-17s
-Shore battery near Cherbourg shelled – I notice a bug where battleships get a remnant unit that spawns at the same time as the salvo. Not a game changer but will need to fix it eventually.
-2x Schutzen shelled and destroyed near Pas de Calais
-Schutzen straffed by aircraft north of Rouen, destroying it

Onboard radar is fixed in the events attached to this save.

This feature makes sense. Is it in the readme?

Sorry, I seem to have missed this. Please do what you need to do to make things equitable next turn (if you brought a construction crew from far away, figure out how much that cost you and give yourself something that will be fair/you would have done instead to make up the difference).

Attachments

• Allies15plusEvents.zip
    194.8 KB · Views: 37
Allies Turn 16

-1x Fw190 and 1x Me109 shot down over Cherbourg – many 109s reacting from lower (I believe) – this is a bug we’ll need to address as they should only bounce lower targets, not the other way around. 1 Spitfire is bounced and destroyed after I misjudge how many times the higher 109 had reacted.
-1x Panzer, 3x Schutzen, something stacked with it destroyed in Pas de Calais. Another Schutzen is damaged in Calais. Shore battery attacked with no effect.
-Stuttgart bombed but can’t destroy an urban center
-Shore battery near Cherbourg is shelled more but not destroyed

Attachments

• AlliesTurn16.zip
    116.6 KB · Views: 40
Allies Turn 17
-Stuttgart attacked. 1x Urban center destroyed for loss of 1 Stirling.
-Port destroyed at St. Nazaire
-Port destroyed at Nantes
-Factory near St. Nazaire brought to red but not destroyed
-3x U-Boats destroyed by naval and air action near Brest
-Shore battery destroyed near Cherbourg
-2x Light cruisers destroyed by shelling Cherbourg harbor
-Shore battery, radar, and Schutzen destroyed near Pas de Calais
-A second shore battery destroyed near Pas de Calais

**EVENTS UPDATE**
-I fixed an error where the battleship wasn't firing 2x per turn and was instead firing 1 shell and 1 unused unit. The intention was for the battleship to fire twice per turn and both of our battleships get the bonus going forward. I didn't make this change until after I completed my turn. I had the wrong integer for carrier (I reused the battleship one twice). This was causing the error.

Attachments

• 17plusEvents.zip
    198.3 KB · Views: 49
Things are stepping up a gear!

I'm sorry but it doesn't look like I'll be able to play today. I had a bit of an electrical emergency earlier this evening with a smell of electrical burning in my study. I worked out it was coming from the fuse box. Taking off the cover I found two of the wires arcing badly. I had to turn off the power while I worked out what to do. One of my friend's husbands is a sparky and I asked for his advice, saying it looked like possible loose wiring but it had melted some of the insulation on other cables. He was not available but gave me the confidence to tackle it myself. It turns out there was a very tight screw and when the new box was installed a few years back the screw was tightened up but was not actually contacting the cable and it may well have been doing this for a long time but less severely. I loosened the screw and then used some force to get it past the thread obstruction so that it held the wire tightly and cut off the burned insulation from the damaged cables and reconnected. This appears to have solved the issue, but it threw everything off kilter for the evening.

This has actually had a very positive & unexpected consequence. For ages my PC has been having issues when playing YouTube videos and various other programs where it would stutter, slow down & generally become a pain to work with. The issue seemed to come & go. I've tried all sorts of things to remedy the issue, including the re-installation of windows that led to the loss of my Civ2 archives. I have a hardline internet from room to room that uses the earth cable to transfer the broadband signal from my cable hub to the PC. I'm now convinced that this arcing (possibly very minor up until today) was having an effect on the internet connection as it had really started playing up over the past few days and now seems to be 100% again! I would never have guessed this was the issue if I lived a hundred lifetimes!

I'm on early shifts and I'm pretty tired now and don't have the focus to play a turn properly. Will catch up tomorrow afternoon when I can give it my full & enthusiastic attention.

No worries! I'm glad everything worked out. Those electrical gremlins can be a major pain so at least it's good to know what happened.

I had a similar problem with an outboard that was giving me some fits and something so simple as a loose connection was the culprit. Wish I had known from the start!

Axis Turn 17

Heavy Cruiser sunk by Naval Battery & Artillery off Cherbourg.

Destroyer sunk off Brest (U-Boat). Four Destroyers sunk in the Atlantic.

Three B17 crippled over St. Nazaire (one very tough one just didn't want to catch fire!)

Two Stirlings shot down over Stuttgart.

Attachments

• AxisTurn17.7z
    101 KB · Views: 33
Allies Turn 18

Well that escalated quickly...

-3 destroyers and 2 other items destroyed , 1 destroyer lost in convoy zone
-1 U-Boat destroyed in convoy zone
-1x Fw190 shot down by P-38s in convoy zone
-2x Ju87 shot down by Spitfires and Hurricanes in convoy zone
-1x He111 shot down by Hurricanes in convoy zone
-1x He111 badly damaged by P-38 in convoy zone
-Artillery near Cherbourg destroyed
-Cherbourg shelled with no effect
-Stuttgart bombed and the urban center destroyed (note: stacking aircraft on these targets isn’t going to help you. Lua moves them automatically).
-Calais heavily shelled – 3 or 4 Schutzen destroyed

Attachments

• AlliesTurn18.zip
    117.5 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Well, @McMonkey since we are at about 10% in, any major issues with the game so far? Any type of unit you really wish you had?

Axis Turn 18

Five Destroyers sunk & one Light Cruiser damaged. Two U-Boats & one Destroyer lost.

Two Stirlings shot down over Stuttgart.

B17 south of Brest crippled but not destroyed despite multiple attacks. One tough SOB!

Attachments

• AxisTurn18.7z
    101.1 KB · Views: 52
Well, @McMonkey since we are at about 10% in, any major issues with the game so far? Any type of unit you really wish you had?

No issues so far. I'm getting quicker with my turns & getting a much better feel for the overall strategy. If I could start over I would do various things differently, but that's life. I love the rocket firing Me110. I'm a little concerned about how many Fw190s it just took me to just cripple one B17 but then I guess that's the luck of the dice roll. On other occasions, I've destroyed aircraft with a single light flak burst. A few dozen more U-Boats wouldn't hurt :lol: I'm enjoying it very much. It's so much better than the last version which I found a little tedious due to the clunky mechanics. It's probably too early to pass judgement on the overall balance, but in terms of managing my forces, it's pretty smooth.

Allies Turn 19
-Stuttgart is finished off
-3x Destroyers sunk
-1x U-Boat
-1x Fw200 Condor shot down by P-38s
-Factory at Brest attacked but not destroyed
Edit - forgot that I also shelled Calais heavily

Attachments

• Allies19.zip
    118.3 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Your next Fw190 - the A8, has airborne rockets with it and is a true bomber destroyer, just so you know!

Axis Turn 19

Light Cruiser sunk by artillery off Calais. Heavy Cruiser crippled, two U-Boats lost.

Light Cruiser sunk in the Atlantic (U-Boat).

Three Stirlings shot down over Stuttgart.

B17 destroyed by Flak 88 over Brest.

Attachments

• Axis19.7z
    101.4 KB · Views: 33
@Prof. Garfield, this error is being thrown. I dug around but coudln't figure out how to fix it. Any ideas?

Code:
Flak Train
D:\Test of Time\Scenario\OTR\events.lua:4368: bad argument #1 to 'hasTech' (civ.tribe expected, got civ.unit)
stack traceback:
    [C]: in function 'civ.hasTech'
    D:\Test of Time\Scenario\OTR\events.lua:4368: in upvalue 'areaDamageRollReactingFriendModifier'
    D:\Test of Time\Scenario\OTR\events.lua:4523: in local 'areaDamageToReactingUnit'
    D:\Test of Time\Scenario\OTR\reaction.lua:177: in upvalue 'individualReaction'
    D:\Test of Time\Scenario\OTR\reaction.lua:242: in function 'reaction.reaction'
    D:\Test of Time\Scenario\OTR\events.lua:4767: in upvalue 'primaryAttackReactionWrapper'
    D:\Test of Time\Scenario\OTR\events.lua:5601: in function <D:\Test of Time\Scenario\OTR\events.lua:5344>

Allies Turn 20
-Calais shelled and emptied of enemies
-2x U-Boat sunk in Convoy Zone
-Fw200 shot down by P-38s
-Factory destroyed near Brest (got a good roll), but since I got the code error below, I didn’t press attack on the shipyard too as not all of your defenses seem to be firing

@McMonkey - the error above shouldn't prevent you from playing your turn even before Garfield responds, but I will wait for a solution before I play my next turn. It seems to have compromised your reaction defenses with flak trains. I don't have any flak trains so there's no reason you can't play.

Attachments

• AlliesTurn20.zip
    117.8 KB · Views: 28
Garfield has already posted a fix - it is in the creation thread and you're tagged in it. I don't think that the fix would have impacted last turn (how likely is it that a reaction attack would have destroyed a B-17 in one shot?) so I think my solution of not attacking further is fair - you weren't able to target the first 17 and I didn't send 2 more to hit the nearby port (I don't think there is a need to replay).

Top Bottom