P**A

Manfred Belheim

Moaner Lisa
Am I allowed to ask how reposting (in your own words) one of the site rules constitutes PDMA? Or is even asking this, even in this forum, also PDMA yet again?

Maybe it's simpler to ask what isn't PDMA?

To have questions answered for specific incidents, please contact the moderator that took the action via the conversation function.

In general, the reason for PDMA rules is to keep threads focused on the subject of the thread and not allow it to be derailed into rules or moderator action discussions. Generally, it is our member's responsibility to report posts that they find to have broken the rules and let staff deal with rules issues. Stating the rules in threads may derail the thread into a rules discussion and is PDMA. Have also seen instances where stating rules is used to troll others.

The MA in question wasn't anything to do with me, so I didn't think PMing was really appropriate.

I understand the problem of threads being derailed with bickering about moderator actions, but I don't feel as though a sledgehammer-style rule that punishes people for even vaguely referring to the fact that moderators even exist is a very good idea.

I think all members know that moderators exist and that the way to get their attention is to report a post they think is a problem. Quoting a rule in a thread serves no purpose as staff may be unaware it is there or may take a while to see it. Reporting a post sends the report to a forum where the staff can see it immediately and, if they are online, can act on it if they feel it is needed.

And, as I said earlier, not all quotes of rules are always accurate or necessarily meant to be helpful. The greatest help members can be to the staff is to report the post.

Well that's all very well and good, but doesn't remotely answer the question as to how it constitutes PDMA. I mean there are very good reasons why I should wear a seatbelt whilst driving, but I wouldn't expect to get infracted for PDMA on CFC if I neglected to do so.

At the very least you could add "discussion of or statement of the rules" under the PDMA rule, so that at least it's in writing. The rule as it's written now doesn't even hint that that would count.

I get your point. The question is how long should the rules be and should every single incident that could happen be codified?

Could argue that posting rules in any thread, not about rules, being spam? But should I?

The rules are too long now and few people even bother reading them until they run afoul of them. For me the rules should be that everyone must be courteous, kind and civil in discussion. But then it will be, well, how do you define that? Making rules is a no win situation really. Someone will always want more definition. Others will complain that they are too oppressive. In more than 10-years of moderating on CFC, not sure I could find that place we could all meet and be happy with a rule set.

The spirit of the PDMA rules is to keep threads on topic. So let's do that and report what isn't on topic.

Top Bottom