P3-02 - Hostile Takeover Inc.

Ok, will play during the weekend.

Grow HO to 4 and get 2 settlers out for block C and production city. Get some culture in RO and MO, either a quick monument or slower library.

Tech, aesthetics I suppose. Other thoughts?

Any objections to OB with Roosy to quickly scout his lands? At this stage he won't settle behind our blocking lines yet, methinks. After scouting we can close borders again.

Roster
PaulusIII - Just played
Meiz - Skipped / On deck
nocho - UP
Pindrus
Loki Strikes
Ralph Jackson

Do you think Roosevelt will have Alpha by the time we hit aesthetics? It can be a bit unreliable with just 1 AI to wait for them to hit alpha. I might head there first myself, though it looks like we have all the basic worker/early military techs we need and we may still encounter a WB from across the channel.

I'd also take OB with FDR. Depending on how much room he has south of his current position it may be a long time before he'd think about crossing our borders to settle. If we can connect our road network with his it would be a win-win for self-research and trades, plus international trade fits the variant! We can always close borders if a settling party moves into our borders and it will most likely get bumped back out the way it came.

City names are great btw :) I don't know if I'll be founding any in my set though :( Perhaps in a later coordinated expansion of private operations. Maybe "Equipment Assembly Center" for Production dot? Perhaps too long...

Do you think Roosevelt will have Alpha by the time we hit aesthetics?
I can answer that question: no! I had a moment to play a set to keep this moving. Note to self: don't play on your little laptop with other applications opened. It hung halfway so had to reload from an autosave. In 1500 BC :rolleyes:. Luckily I usually play on my PC that handles things better.

The only thing I researched in my set was Aesthetics. Indeed, Roosy hasn't gotten to Alpha yet. I managed to settle two cities as planned.

City names are great btw :)
I tried to keep in style... I noticed city names can be only 15 chars, I never rename so didn't know.

So we are running five cities which can be conveniently abbreviated HO, RO, MO, TO and NO... :D
Tourist Office was founded first. We'll try to attract tourists world wide to this sunny seaside resort, with shiny white beaches and beautiful mountains in the backyard. You can visit our livestocks nearby and in a near future smoke the latest and most halucinating herbs around :smoke::lol: (could have called it Amsterdam maybe to honour Paulus :mischief::)). The occasional river flooding shouldn't be mentioned in the brochures, though.

Just founded Naval Operations as well. A mighty merchant fleet will be built here one day.

I set research to fishing so we may actually build a boat. Scouting that island north of HO will be interesting (the tile Paulus pointed to is coast, so definitely there must be some land).

Note a barb warrior to the west of TO. I set an axeman to defend a worker there. Just whipped granary in TO and queued a monument next which is due in 1 with the overflow.

Our land:

I signed OB with Roosy. We still have that deal active but could be cancelled at wish.

His lands:

Roosy has wheat on offer which can be traded for gold. Wouldn't necessarily do that, we don't need extra health yet, while Roosy could use the happy. We're not the ones for crappy deals like that!

Meiz can't play till Monday so Pindrus is up.

Attachments

• CEO Shaka BC-1000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    126.7 KB · Views: 69
See it but am at work currently. Seems like there isn't too much pressure to play with Meiz out until Mon., though we could get another set in too. I will likely play tomorrow (hopefully before you folks on the other side of the pond hit the hay) as with my inaugural SG turnset I'd like to take time to play carefully, though we seem to be in a comfortable situation in-game.

Couple thoughts just looking at the report:

-Wow, those gold mines really help, I would usually be crawling along with 5 cities pre-libraries, pre-currency, but 18bpt, -3gpt @ 50% is nice!

-I will probably cut the slider to 0% research and wait a couple turns until the libraries come in before turning it back on to take advantage of the % modifier. Also probably time to get cooking on a few GS while slow-building some settlers/workers at happy caps. Food is short and our cap has so much :hammers: so I might grow the scientist at Riverside with the grass cows + cottages. Philo bulb may be the first time religion is seen on the capitalist continent.

-Without opening the save it's hard to count, but it looks like we will need to hire some landscaping contractors and construction teams. Probably will aim to get 2-3 more workers and possible settle another city (any preferences for the next site? I'll post some after opening the save).

-I'm not clear where to go for techs. Probably good to pick up fishing as queued and sailing, as we won't want to bother trading for these later. We can explore, hook up fish, and get routes with the Americans (though our road network looks to be just 2 worker turns short of being connected!)

-Medium term we are just planning to fill out the rest of our side of the continent (+that NE landmass possibly) and push on to post-lib. Perhaps we can have a preliminary demonstration of the military-industrial complex against our weak American neighbors before scaling it to an intercontinental level, sort of like the Spanish Civil War.

-If we got out a quick settler we could possibly steal the crab/marble spot S of Philly, but that is probably wishful thinking and may not really be worth the maintenance, border conflict, and precarious strategic position.

Anyhow, comments/thoughts are welcome. While I have appreciated the brevity, I will probably be more detailed in my report so that everyone can pick apart my gameplay.

Finally! With copper and nearby foreigner, we should definitely do an axe rush! Wait... why are you all looking me like that...? ;)

I'm just glad we are Shaka in this situation and not playing as poor FDR! WHEOOHN in 2500 BC :crazyeye: !

Maybe I'd settle the jungle hill NE of HO first to pick up rice fish and dye. Or else around stone/clam.

Right now we're actually just working 1 gold mine although 2 are hooked up. When MO grows it can work 2. It's building a worker now though, which will be nr 5. Can indeed use a couple more probably. Those Ikhandas are nice for cutting down the maintenance a bit by the way.

Tech, I'd suggest fishing-sailing-literature.

Roosy has bronze by the way as he has axemen. Probably in one of the tiles I accidentally left in the fog.

Tech situation looks good, but remind me again why we haven't killed Roosey? I mean if hes around now lets keep him around to outsource research of monarchy and alphabet, but after that I vote he dies... call it Arms Research.

Also if we go lit for GL why don't we grab that marble spot by Philadelphia? It has a clam for food so it is marginally more useful than just a marble colony. It will seriously help our build time, and therefore research/GP generation

4. The free market will not bet on a war without proper funding of the economy. (We are not allowed to run aggressive wars before we found our first corporation. This to prevent us from overrunning the world before we start our pro-corporate policies - hey, we're playing Shaka, so steamrolling opponents might not be out of the question.)

We hadn't quite come to a consensus here, but based on our start it seems like we can grab enough land without a war, so my interpretation was that we were adhering to this 4th principle of the variant.

Summary:
Tech path went Fishing>Sailing>Poly>Lit (4 turns til completion)

Roosevelt already had a settler who had been gunning for our Naval Ops site, so he got the marble (and completed the Oracle, likely taking MC). Instead we founded on the clam/stone spot.

Quiet building set: 3 Libraries up, getting out a couple more workers and more settlers underway. Not much military built as barbs are under control, but will need a few more for garrisons. HE should be unlocked within a turn or two.

Turn-by-Turn (When interesting things happened...)

IT (1000 BC)

Minor stuff:
-Swith MO to work both mines, now breaking even @50%, 22bpt. Otherwise we'd have to change the slider and fishing would be in 4. Change back after worker for growth to stabilize @ 4 pop working rice, grass horse, gold mine x2.

-Change queued monument in TO to library. It can work riverside cottages until it can be whipped again.

t76 (975 BC)
-Now really you will scare away the tourists wearing those filthy rags! That will not do. Flawless victory.

-2 pop :whip: Riverside's library. No whip in HO with only a plains cow and farms for food.

t77 (950 BC)
-Riverside Library > Impi (not much else to build).

-Looks like Naval Ops was planted just in time. Roosy will likely get the Marble spot though.

-No other signs of possible overseas acquisitions yet...

t78 (925 BC)
-We know that there are fish in those waters! Now lets figure out how to go get em.

-Another barbarian warrior is enticed by the spas of TO. He meets a similar fate.
-A nice capitol Roosevelt has there. I guess an early rush would have been axe vs. axe.

t80 (875 BC)
-HO Library > Settler

-MO Worker > Axe, citizen back on the horses for growth in 3.
-With the wild cattle rounded up, Naval Ops gets underway.

-More barbarians seek to disturb the tranquility of TO.

-FDR seems to have chosen to circumnavigate our continent rather than disturb our future overseas branches.

-And there is also no land within range of that resource-less tile to the NE.

t82 (825 BC)
-I'll take those odds. 2 more XP to unlock the HE. Left unpromoted for now.

t83 (800 BC)
-Ah, the wind on my face! The sun sparkling off the water! On to Polytheism.

-RO Impi > Worker, working both cottages for just 1 turn off the worker.

t84 (775 BC)
-Great city placement there Roosevelt... :cringe: Well I'd rather have the Naval Ops spot than this marble one.

t85 (750 BC)
-GLHouse bidl. Hm, no Oracle, ToA or Pyramids yet either, so doesn't seem to be any real wonderhog here. Stonehenge is in Washington DC btw.

t86 (725 BC)
-This will not do, we need to keep those ecotourists happy!

-Chop into a monument at NavalOps

t87 (700 BC)
-Polytheism in, now that we know there are many gods out there, let us start writing some ballads (lit next).

-Whip to overflow into WB at NavalOps, 26 overflow + 4 production means our seafaring expeditions are underway... in 50 years.

t88 (675 BC)
-Worker > Settler in HO
-Found Sea Expeditions on clam/stone spot. I chose this because the resources are in the 1st ring and we don't yet have IW to chop out the jungles by the other spot. It steals MO's horses to get a WB out faster.

t89 (650 BC)
-Well, now you are more neatly dressed, but still, can't you read the sign? 9/10 XP

-Oh, what do you mean "What Sign?" As the lawyers can obviously see, this one--it was self-defense officer!

t90 (625 BC)
-The Americans build the Oracle. Likely they chose Metal Casting as no religion is founded. They still dont have Alphabet yet, so hard to know exactly. Would you like to build the Colossus for us Roosevelt?

-If lucky, our scout will see if there are possible expansion opportunities to the west as well. I believe there is another spear just 2W or 2W1N of the healing axe, so if we could fogbust to prevent future barb spawns that would remove that annoyance and open the HE.

-Keeping things tidy for the tourists.

-Spoiler for larger overview shots:
Spoiler :

Area north of Mine Ops. Not sure about city placements here. Not much food either way, probably just good to work a few cottages while slow-building basic infra.

Western Peninsula. We could combine the two southern cities and place one NW of the scout's position. Decent production city long-term, or we could have 2 mediocre branch offices and pick up the clams.

-Handing this off, not too much going on so played a bit over 10, which seems fine at this point of the game. Lit is in 4 @ 50% science, -2gpt w/20 in our banks' vaults (private banks' vaults of course!). All units are moved, shouldn't be any pathing.

Closing Thoughts

Any comments on my play are welcome.

We don't have masonry, so can't quarry the stone yet.

I forgot to 2x whip the library in TO :blush: I mean, I did lots of math and it worked out better to have it work its cottages to maturity...

Troops are a bit lacking. On his way out of America the scout saw 1-2 archers and 1-2 axes on FDR's border cities, so he doesn't seem to be preparing to attack, but with just the two of us we can't check WHEOOHN status. Need to be vigilant until we can get a shared religion, and Roosy can even declare @ pleased, though it isn't very likely.

Economy is holding up well as some cottages start to mature and we should start working all 3 mines soon. With the GLibrary coming in soon we should be able to fill out our continent and not have to worry about FDR sending settlers through.

I bet confucianism will be founded by the time we could conventionally reseaerch CoL. If we want a religion soonish we could take the Drama route. We would need (in no particular order) Drama, Meditation, Math, and Alpha. With dye it would also be nice to get theaters, as there are only 3 happy resources on our continent.

Where to put the GLibrary? I'm thinking in Riverside--it has 7 forests that can be chopped and has already started running a couple scientists. Also probably the best longer-term commerce city with lots of grasslands and a river.

Our continent has 12 Sushi resources! :woohoo: We should definitely be heading towards Medicine post-Lib (barring any unpleasantries of course). That's 6:food: from just what we can see in 625 BC.

Roster
PaulusIII
Meiz - Skipped / On deck
nocho
Pindrus - Just Played
Loki Strikes - Meiz is out until Monday, so you are next if you can get it before then.
Ralph Jackson

And here is the save.

Attachments

• CEO Shaka BC-0625.CivBeyondSwordSave
    141.3 KB · Views: 72
Yeah I can play Sunday I guess, looks good, I would go COL and bulb philo if we want a religion... if we don't get Confucian fine we get Tao, if we get Confucian than we still bulb Philo I would say for pacifism.

You can skip me and go on with the roster. So I'll play my first set hopefully after Paulus's second run :)

Grab the save, micro a little bit looks good, few comments on the signs, if we want to check the land to the NE of us we have to settle on the far north tip, means we would have to settle on the dye or else we couldn't build both cities due to 3 tile rule.

Research went lit - priesthood(in case Roosey got Monarchy and Alpha) - math - start currency

Basically spammed some workers and military leading to this situation at the end of my set
another 2-3 workers and we will be good I think

Midway through set I find out Roosey has Monarchy and trade him a gold for some wine as we need the happiness

Found Volcanic Office

Held off on any more settling during my set as our research was slogging and we have no really great cities to settle until iron working... so I have a settler fortified with a sign on him

End with Great Library in

Our glorious headquarters (meh... I spammed workers/military to grow out of here)
Realize I should have been working dye farm and was most of the time :smoke:

I think heroic epic should go here, library is a placeholder, we have an axeman with 10 xp waiting to be promoted, he is marked by a sign in the SW I reccomend next player promote him and build HE here)

Complete with great library, however we have a dilemma, both this city and the Tourist office are 7 turns from producing a GS, Riverside will outrace Tourist afterwards so we really want the GS out of Tourist, however IDK which city will produce it, Bug says Tourist... Anyway I would vote NE here next, probably switch back to the hammer config, I did not spend any turns with this configuration this was just for screenshot

Ran 2 scientists here most of my set to slow growth a bit while waiting for border pop, other city with 7 turns for GS...

The scout and axe that are out of our territory have all land barb spawns completely blocked.

Still waiting for Roosey to grab alphabet -.-

Demographics: Looks good first in land 2nd in pop who cares about the rest right?

Bug Log
Spoiler :

Logging by BUG Mod 3.6 [Build 1696] (BtS 3.13-3.17)
------------------------------------------------
Turn 90/500 (625 BC) [10-May-2009 13:01:38]

Turn 91/500 (600 BC) [10-May-2009 13:02:51]
50% Research: 41 per turn
0% Espionage: 4 per turn
50% Gold: -2 per turn, 18 in the bank

After End Turn:
Riverside Offic finishes: Worker
A Hamlet was built near Tourist Office

Turn 92/500 (575 BC) [10-May-2009 13:03:44]
50% Research: 42 per turn
50% Gold: -2 per turn, 16 in the bank
Riverside Offic begins: Axeman (12 turns)

After End Turn:
Group HO finishes: Settler
Naval Operation grows to size 2
Naval Operation finishes: Ikhanda

Other Player Actions:
While defending in the wild near Tourist Office, Hotel Cleaning Staff (3.40/5) defeats Barbarian Spearman (Prob Victory: 99.3%)

Turn 93/500 (550 BC) [10-May-2009 13:06:16]
50% Research: 40 per turn
50% Gold: -3 per turn, 13 in the bank
Group HO begins: Axeman (4 turns)
Naval Operation begins: Lighthouse (9 turns)
A Cottage was built near Tourist Office

After End Turn:
Tech research finished: Literature
Tourist Office grows to size 5

Other Player Actions:
Civics Change: Roosevelt(America) from 'Despotism' to 'Hereditary Rule'

Turn 94/500 (525 BC) [10-May-2009 13:08:06]
50% Research: 41 per turn
50% Gold: -3 per turn, 11 in the bank
Research begun: Priesthood (2 Turns)
A Mine was built near Mine Operation
Tourist Office begins: Ikhanda (10 turns)
Riverside Offic begins: The Great Library (117 turns)
Research begun: Priesthood (2 Turns)

After End Turn:
A Hamlet was built near Tourist Office

Turn 95/500 (500 BC) [10-May-2009 13:12:34]
50% Research: 34 per turn
50% Gold: -2 per turn, 8 in the bank
A Mine was built near Group HO

After End Turn:
Tech research finished: Priesthood
Group HO grows to size 6
Mine Operation finishes: Settler
Sea Expeditions finishes: Work Boat

Turn 96/500 (475 BC) [10-May-2009 13:13:26]
40% Research: 28 per turn
60% Gold: 1 per turn, 12 in the bank
Research begun: Mathematics (12 Turns)
Mine Operation begins: Axeman (5 turns)
Sea Expeditions begins: Granary (8 turns)
A Fishing Boats was built near Sea Expeditions
A Mine was built near Naval Operation
Sea Expeditions begins: Monument (30 turns)

After End Turn:
Group HO finishes: Axeman
Riverside Offic grows to size 5

Turn 97/500 (450 BC) [10-May-2009 13:18:35]
40% Research: 28 per turn
60% Gold: 2 per turn, 15 in the bank
Group HO begins: Worker (4 turns)

After End Turn:
Whip anger has decreased in Naval Operation
Tourist Office finishes: Library
Naval Operation's borders expand
Sea Expeditions grows to size 2

Turn 98/500 (425 BC) [10-May-2009 13:19:21]
40% Research: 33 per turn
60% Gold: 1 per turn, 15 in the bank
A Fishing Boats was built near Naval Operation

After End Turn:
The whip was applied in Sea Expeditions
Naval Operation grows to size 3
Sea Expeditions finishes: Monument

Turn 99/500 (400 BC) [10-May-2009 13:21:07]
40% Research: 37 per turn
60% Gold: 1 per turn, 17 in the bank
Sea Expeditions begins: Granary (30 turns)
Ulundi founded
Volcanic Office begins: Monument (15 turns)

After End Turn:
Group HO finishes: Worker
Mine Operation finishes: Axeman
Naval Operation finishes: Lighthouse

Turn 100/500 (375 BC) [10-May-2009 13:24:13]
40% Research: 38 per turn
60% Gold: -8 per turn, 9 in the bank
Mine Operation begins: Axeman (4 turns)
Naval Operation begins: Axeman (5 turns)

After End Turn:
Riverside Offic's borders expand
Naval Operation grows to size 4

Turn 101/500 (350 BC) [10-May-2009 13:25:27]
30% Research: 32 per turn
70% Gold: 0 per turn, 10 in the bank

After End Turn:
Tourist Office grows to size 6

Turn 102/500 (325 BC) [10-May-2009 13:26:24]
30% Research: 29 per turn
70% Gold: 0 per turn, 11 in the bank

After End Turn:
Mine Operation finishes: Axeman
Tourist Office's borders expand
Sea Expeditions grows to size 2

Turn 103/500 (300 BC) [10-May-2009 13:27:04]
30% Research: 33 per turn
70% Gold: -1 per turn, 11 in the bank
Mine Operation begins: Chariot (3 turns)
A Mine was built near Riverside Offic
A Farm was built near Volcanic Office
A Cottage was built near Group HO

After End Turn:
Group HO finishes: Worker
Naval Operation grows to size 5
Naval Operation finishes: Axeman

Turn 104/500 (275 BC) [10-May-2009 13:28:06]
30% Research: 34 per turn
Group HO begins: Chariot (4 turns)
Naval Operation begins: Axeman (3 turns)

After End Turn:
Group HO finishes: Chariot

Turn 105/500 (250 BC) [10-May-2009 13:29:31]
Group HO begins: Chariot (4 turns)
A Farm was built near Riverside Offic
A Pasture was built near Tourist Office

After End Turn:
Tech research finished: Mathematics
Mine Operation finishes: Chariot
A Village was built near Tourist Office

Turn 106/500 (225 BC) [10-May-2009 13:30:48]
70% Gold: -1 per turn, 10 in the bank
Research begun: Currency (15 Turns)
Mine Operation begins: Axeman (4 turns)
Mine Operation begins: Worker (5 turns)
A Cottage was built near Group HO

After End Turn:
Group HO grows to size 7
Volcanic Office grows to size 2

Turn 107/500 (200 BC) [10-May-2009 13:31:57]
30% Research: 35 per turn
70% Gold: -1 per turn, 9 in the bank
Naval Operation begins: Axeman (3 turns)
Volcanic Office begins: Granary (15 turns)

After End Turn:
The whip was applied in Volcanic Office
Group HO finishes: Chariot
Mine Operation's borders expand
Naval Operation grows to size 6
Volcanic Office finishes: Monument

Turn 108/500 (175 BC) [10-May-2009 13:33:43]
20% Research: 25 per turn
80% Gold: 4 per turn, 17 in the bank
A Cottage was built near Riverside Offic

After End Turn:
Whip anger has decreased in Sea Expeditions
Riverside Offic finishes: The Great Library
Sea Expeditions's borders expand
Sea Expeditions finishes: Granary

Turn 109/500 (150 BC) [10-May-2009 13:34:22]
20% Research: 33 per turn
80% Gold: 3 per turn, 21 in the bank
Riverside Offic begins: National Epic (16 turns)
Naval Operation begins: Library (6 turns)
Sea Expeditions begins: Lighthouse (15 turns)

Attachments

• CEO Shaka BC-0150.CivBeyondSwordSave
    157 KB · Views: 74
Looks good, even better though with a save...

I'm afraid to start discussing city placement and crossing seas again with you Loki :), but there's no need to settle on the northern tip, as the tile previously marked was coast already, so no need to cross ocean tiles (there are 2 adjacent coast tiles).

That was quite the discussion you 2 had on that high seas map :) But yes, Nocho, here there is no need. Did we scout at all with the WB this set? It just popped at the end of my set and there would have been a few turns to explore before NavalOps popped its border and fishing boats were needed.

Nice to see the GLibrary come in Loki and nice to spot that trade, both for the :) and the diplo. We should definitely send out a WB (or galley at this point?) explorer and consider moving the cap to Riverside soon.

I moved it a bit but thought it was ocean so sent it back and improved the fish, operating on 5 hours of sleep, and yeah Nocho you are right here its coast no need to settle there.

Save attached

We need CoL soon. Our expenses are starting to run high (for instance in Tourist Office and Volcanic Office); otherwise, everything seems to be in order, because we're having enough BPT to keep R&D running.

Top Bottom