Panzer General

I played Battle for Wesnoth a bit, and I have to say: very elegant design.

I thought the decision to get rid of any kind of "attack strength" value and just have damage values and the probability of a strike succeeding being the terrain value of the defender was just brilliant. It encourages flanking and envelopment without neednig any specific mechanics to do so, and the night/day cycle gives the game a great temporal flow.

I just discovered that Civ5 will be adding Panzer General like features and think it's a great idea. Panzer General is one of my all time favorite series of games (I still play PG 3d once in a while). I've been working on a Civ4 mod for over a year that I call Civ4 Panzer General. It's getting close to an Alpha version, but I'm not sure what I should bother completing it now. It does have a more complex combat system then Civ5 appears to have, so maybe I'll finish it anyway.

Yeah I was wondering if the Xbox Live one is any good? Thought about downloading it and giving it a chance after I saw its what Civ V is based on. Not sure how different the Xbox Live one is from the original though.

The xbox pg is rather a board game. It's quite entertaining but it has NOTHING in common with the original PG. Plus it uses squares, not hexes ;)

PG 1 rocks!

I never played panzer generals either. I was too busy playing sid meiers gettysburg on Mplayer. that was the :):):):). wish sid would remake his civil war games.

Panzer General II is the first WWII strategy game I played and still play to this day.I love it.When I heard Civ 5 combat system was based off PG :eek:,I just can't get enough info on the game.I have already pre-ordered the game and can't wait to see the PG goodness inside Civ,what a great combo :drool:

Ah, the memories. PG and AG were the first games I bought when I got my PS One (my wife at the time had a bit of a fit when she found out how much it all cost). This thread inspired me to take a peek in the cupboard, and sure enough, there they are. Good thing I've still got my PS Two hooked up. :D

Civ with a PG style combat system could be splendid, but I hope they include (or mods later add) capable management tools. PG became really tough to manage in the later scenarios where you had many many units to coordinate, and to be successful in that system they have to be utilized/optimized just so.

YES!!! :woohoo:

I won Panzer General 2 on an online auction site today! Finally I will be able to play this classic that is so hard to find these days... :)

YES!!! :woohoo:

I won Panzer General 2 on an online auction site today! Finally I will be able to play this classic that is so hard to find these days... :)

You should have saved your money. All the PG games are abandonware and can be found (usually modded) on the interwebs for free. Forum rules prevent disclosing where, but Google is not so reticent.

Top Bottom