Partisans take to the hills!

Cuneiform

Warlord
I really hope something like this would come back for Civ 6. Especially if perhaps your city was taken over by a Civ with a Facist leaning Government/Civic Traits. But I've seen no evidence of it so far.

It gave you a second chance to take your city back, or at least cause some trouble for the invaders. So that if you've invested (and lost) most of your army in defending a city that has now fallen, you'll at least have some units to prevent a wholesale steam-rollering of the rest of your cities.

I could see it as a military policy. Something that encourages resistance fighting.. perhaps in combination with a homeland combat bonus.

Imo, this is a good idea. The amount and strength of appearing partisans should depend on both your own government (and its policies) as well as those of the invader's. Your relations with the enemy, as well as their global warmongering status, should also count in the calculation. Thus the strongest resistance would appear in case of a fascist, warmongering historical rival invading the cities of a peaceful democracy who's adopted the 'Citizens' Militia' policy (or whatever the name of the policy will be that's dedicated specifically to this effect).

Balanced rightly, the mechanic would add an additional challenge to all-out world conquest: as you razed and conquered more and more cities, inevitably racking up warmonger points in the process (unless dedicating a considerable amount of resources towards diplomatic mitigation), you'd find it harder and harder to keep going as the resistance mounted.

Combat bonus against cities would work but I doubt we should give to many bonuses for the defender then stuff like forts and city attacks are allready in the game.

I think you can get civic which give stuff like combat bonus inside your territory.

I think it would be best expressed as a combat bonus for cities you have owned before, or that you originally settled. That being said, I would NEVER pick that policy :p

If I remember correctly the feature appeared late in the game (or at least the Partisan unit did because they had a rifle).

That's exactly when you need them the most, because at that point in the time-line an aggressive Civ can not only have a large powerful army, but with post-Industrial units they are also quite mobile. So they can quickly be attacking the next city if their progress is not checked.

That being said, I would NEVER pick that policy :p
On its own it would be a silly ability/policy because it means you only benefit if you're already taking losses - while another policy might actually prevent losses in the first place.

However, it sounds like it'd be a good rider effect on a policy that buffs your units in defensive wars (e.g. combat bonuses in your own borders or defence bonus when attacked by a player who started a war against you).

On its own it would be a silly ability/policy because it means you only benefit if you're already taking losses - while another policy might actually prevent losses in the first place.

However, it sounds like it'd be a good rider effect on a policy that buffs your units in defensive wars (e.g. combat bonuses in your own borders or defence bonus when attacked by a player who started a war against you).

It'll be all about roleplaying!

Partisans were pretty nifty in 2, though gave the player an unfair advantage.

Maybe if partisans appeared as weak, no-attack 'cadres' that could do nothing but pillage until supplied by air or friendly units got close...

I've been playing War in the East, I understand if Civ6 don't want to go down that route :)

They were in 4 as well I believe, if you had a certain civic active. I see no reason not to do this again now that we get flexible policies back :)

Maybe if partisans appeared as weak, no-attack 'cadres' that could do nothing but pillage until supplied by air or friendly units got close..

The original Partisans had a fairly weak attack value (back when Attack/Defence were separate).

I think I've read that promotion paths will be more unique to individual unit classes, so these could quite easily be tailored to focus just on Pillage/Mobility. Or maybe even add a "hidden until adjacent" feature similar to Submarines.

Partisans were never meant to defend the player as they only appear after you've lost your city. Against any well-armed invader, they can only try and slow them a bit, or pillage roads to prevent quick reinforcement of the enemy. If you're relying on partisans for defense, you've already lost the war.

I'd prefer partisans that were strong but tied to their city.

This way you could get them
1. If you lost a city to conquest
2. If you 'gained' a city culturally (if the city flips to you, partisans are generated until they conquer the city for you, or the owner flips it back)

Moderator Action: Moved to Ideas & Suggestions

Partisans were never meant to defend the player as they only appear after you've lost your city. Against any well-armed invader, they can only try and slow them a bit, or pillage roads to prevent quick reinforcement of the enemy. If you're relying on partisans for defense, you've already lost the war.

It's still a defense mechanism that reduces the risk of leaving yourself exposed. Civ 5 had more than enough of that junk with just the too-high base strength of cities.

It doesn't necessarily have to work exactly like before. One way might be if Partisans spawned from a captured cities Encampment district, so it would be like ex-soldiers continuing to fight a guerilla campaign.

They would spawn just the one time and it obviously would not happen with every city, but at only those which had invested in an Encampment district.

How well developed the district is could increase Partisan numbers, on the other hand if the district was pillaged that could decrease Partisan numbers.

It doesn't necessarily have to work exactly like before. One way might be if Partisans spawned from a captured cities Encampment district, so it would be like ex-soldiers continuing to fight a guerilla campaign.

They would spawn just the one time and it obviously would not happen with every city, but at only those which had invested in an Encampment district.

How well developed the district is could increase Partisan numbers, on the other hand if the district was pillaged that could decrease Partisan numbers.

Wouldn't partisans be more effective / realistic if they emerged up in the boonies, away from military installations that any invading force would beeline for and where they could easily be corralled and destroyed?

Top Bottom