[R&F] Patch broke Civ VI

robincox

Warlord
Today a pretty large patch was downloaded when I started Civ, It took a while to install it anyway. When installed, I started the game and tried to play on a YNAMP map. The game crashed before loading whith the message that there were unsupported mods. So I disabled all community mods and restarted Civ. Still the game crashed on load even though I tried to start a normal dual sized map. This time also with a message that there were unsupported mods even though there was only Firaxis mods enabled. So I disabled all Firaxis mods, restarted Civ and started a duel sized normal map. It took for ever to load so I gave up and force closed Civ since I could not go back to main menue. Has anybody else experienced this due to the latest patch? Can I fix it or shall I just give up on this very unstable iteration of Civilization?

Yes same for me and I do not have ANY mods installed. I have re-installed the whole game from Steam but still having major issues with new and saved games. If a game actually loads, the UI (city header, notifications etc) are messed up. I have bought the new content but issues remain even if these are disabled.

Can I fix it or shall I just give up on this very unstable iteration of Civilization?
Don't give up because of one bad experience, post moved to technical help forum.

Lots of people playing ok so it's not a general instability problem.

I have the new patch installed and have had no issues so far (even in old save games)

Hello

It's the same here, with GS.
All the mods are desactivated, but i can't load a saved game, neither create a new one. Always "insupported mods". All the files were verified with steam, no pb.

I had weird problem when the game didnt launch from Steam's icon, but it launched from desktop's icon.

The game had ALL my mods so I unchecked the ones I didnt need.

But for those who have problem, there will surely be a hotfix, newly patched games tend to have problems..

Don't give up because of one bad experience, post moved to technical help forum.

Lots of people playing ok so it's not a general instability problem.
This is not the first time a patch has broken the game for me. An earlier patch for instance disabled the advanced menu for creating new games. Can I some how disable new patches and can I somehow revert the newest patch, so it works for me?

I have exactly the same issue: no mods installed but game won't launch due to mod error. I hope there will be a fix very soon, can't play at all now.

I can launch Civ 6, but none of the DLC or expansions are recognized in-game. According to steam all relevant files are installed. I've verified game files, even reinstalled the game but no dice. Guess I just can't play the new civs today. A bit disappointing.

I can launch Civ 6, but none of the DLC or expansions are recognized in-game. According to steam all relevant files are installed. I've verified game files, even reinstalled the game but no dice. Guess I just can't play the new civs today. A bit disappointing.

Are you getting any messages from your firewall? Norton was telling me it was blocking suspicious activity from Civ 6 and would only show vanilla Civs when it booted. When I turned off the firewall and restarted, all of my content was there.

Are you getting any messages from your firewall? Norton was telling me it was blocking suspicious activity from Civ 6 and would only show vanilla Civs when it booted. When I turned off the firewall and restarted, all of my content was there.
I only use the built-in Windows Defender for anti-virus/malware, and haven't gotten any notifications.

I can launch Civ 6, but none of the DLC or expansions are recognized in-game.

if you can play without the new civs, you're lucky

even the base game without the 2 extensions (RnF,GS) and without all the dlc crashes for me. Always the same message: "There was an error starting the game. We recommend disabling any mods and trying again. Error- One or more mods failed to load content" (in french, sure), even with the saved games

so, it's now totally impossible to play Civ VI

Been trying all sorts of workrounds since my last post here 12h ago. Re-installed game twice (after removing local files), updated NVidia drivers etc and if anything have made things even worse. Game now always crashes at game load screen with leader staring at me. Error messages galore have been sent into cyberspace. My other steam games work okay. Run out of ideas so no Civ VI for me at present.

PS:- turning off Windows Security does not help in my case.

Last edited:
Been trying all sorts of workrounds since my last post here 12h ago. Re-installed game twice (after removing local files), updated NVidia drivers etc and if anything have made things even worse. Game now always crashes at game load screen with leader staring at me. Error messages galore have been sent into cyberspace. My other steam games work okay. Run out of ideas so no Civ VI for me at present.

PS:- turning off Windows Security does not help in my case.

Done all of the same, and even sent a report to 2K over eight hours ago. Mine won't even start. It "launches" for five minutes then crashes. My ticket status for them is still Open, but I haven't heard anything. It looks like Civ VI is out for me too. Hope it gets fixed for you soon!

With the original base game, it launches but i have this screen
Capture.JPG
After that crashes and gives me this advice:

Unhandled Exception
Code: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION
Error reading address 0x18

Call Stack
-----------------------------------------------------
??? ! ??? ???, line 0
??? ! ??? ???, line 0

With the original base game, it launches but i have this screen
View attachment 556722
After that crashes and gives me this advice:
This is what happens to me now that I have disabled all DLC including all Firaxis DLC. I just didnt wait until it crashed, took a long time starting a duel map, so I just figured it had stopped working. I guess it would have crashed eventually for me too.

I get similar error reports. I have also filed a report to 2K. One odd thing I have noticed is that I can no longer alter the graphics resolution in the GS video options gamescreen, it defaults to whatever I have set in Windows. Tried setting Windows resulution to a lower level (1600 x 900 from 2560 x 1440) but no effect. Here's hoping for a fix to our Civ woes!

Hello, Same problem here, I fixed mine by lowering graphics from ultra to medium settings. I get the same error again if I set my graphics to higher. Game looks a potato but it works..

Hello, Same problem here, I fixed mine by lowering graphics from ultra to medium settings. I get the same error again if I set my graphics to higher. Game looks a potato but it works..
Good work! I tried this on even lower resolutions (down to 800 x 600) on my PC but no luck. It seems that the NVidia display driver is not initiating and the game defaults to MS basic display driver, which I guess is not up to the job on my PC.

Top Bottom