PC requirement for Civ3 ?

Julien

Lord
I have a Pentium II 233Mhz, with 32 Mb RAM ; would it be enough to play Civ3 ?:(

in all honesty, cpu cycles are not a big deal most of the time. the ram is your problem. pickup another 64 or 128 megs (you can get it from best buy for about $0.50/meg) and you'll notice *everything* running faster.

Okay, if RAM is the main thing, would it run on my P200MMX 96MB RAM and Voodoo3 3000?

I've got games with higher specs that run okay on this spec, but I'd like to check before I go out and buy a new game when I don't really have excesses of money to spend.

Cheers.

Atchoo,

I run it on a Pentium 166 MMX o/ced to 188mhz, with 256 ram.

Runs fine - but be wary of long waits between turns (about 30 seconds to a minute) on large or huge.

Also, scrolling is slow, but then that's to be expected.

Regards
Kiy.

Atchoo,

No probs :) Just a hint, instead of using the mouse to scroll by going to the sides of the screen, it's a LOT quicker simply to left click on the square you want to go to, and it'll move anyway.

Hope this helps, and have fun!

Regards,
Kiy

skOtie

I seem to have a video problem. The video clip at the start works lovely, but everything else seems to have 50 versions of the screens across the page. I have tried the refresh rate changes suggested on this page and altering the Display Control Panel settings to no avail. Here are my details, if you can offer any help I would be very grateful;

Under System Tab:
Processor and Speed - Intel Pentium III 720Mhz

Total System Memory - 10GB
DirectX Version – 8.0

Video Card Name - Intel 82810 Graphics Controller Hardware version 003, file version 4.12.01.2656
Manufacturer - Intel
Approx. Total Memory - 5.0MB

Sound Card Name – AC’97 Sound Card 82801AA Hardware version 002, file version 4.90.2509.1
Manufacturer ID - 1

Cheers

:D

Would it be enough to play Civ 3. I have amd k6-2 333 Mhz overclocked to 366 Mhz. with 128 ram. How good the game will run?:p

Thanks for the tip as well :)

Gnid, considering it's running on a P166 I'd guess that it will run on your PC (which is above the min spec anyway afaik). My main concern was that it would perform a system check (I *hate* games that run them, it seems pointless), but if it is running on a P166 then I'm happy as the rest of my PC is above the requirements.

Of course running is one thing, being playable is another.

I myself am quite patient and so I can wait for a little while for the AI to move..... having that spec computer I'm used to everything being a little slow. :)

Just be warned - do not have any high expectations of it running at near-perfect speed. There *will* be slowdowns.

You have been warned :) With that said, enjoy the game!

Oh another tip - turn off the music - this frees up a ton of the CPU. This is becuase the music is in mp3 format, and decoding mp3s takes a lot of cpus, especially on lower spec pcs. So, turn it off, and turn off all animations in preferences.

Regards,
Kiy

Update: Gnid, Atchoo is right - your speed is higher than minimum spec anyway, so it'll run fine. :)

Top Bottom