Penny-pinching misers?

Ferocitus

Deity
When haggling over prices of various commodities, do you try to get the very
last gold coin before the other party rejects your offer?

Do you sometimes take a lower price because you couldn't be bothered haggling
too much?

Do you sometimes think that it might be better not to squeeze them for too much
so that they have some left over to work against another of your (perhaps
stronger) enemies?

Do you do that in games of Civ too?

Sometimes I don't want to be bothered to change the parameters of the deal so I'll just accept once I think I've gotten "enough".

Generally I agree with the theme of your question, that in Civ 6 and in life, trade works best when it's win-win. Both sides get something they need/want, and not at an onerous price. In part, this can be affected by how desperate one side is to get something the other side has, obviously. Supply and demand.

Getting the best deal by shopping a spare luxury to multiple AI civs and haggling over price down to the last GP may waste a lot of real time with only limited impact in many situations--not that this hurts you in Civ 6--it just hits up against the constraints of how much time you have to devote to playing. I usually don't spend a lot of time on this because I haven't found it to make a big difference in gameplay, but maybe I'm missing something. I might press for the biggest advantage if I have the upper hand in war and they're suing for peace, especially if they started it.

I did it more in Civ5, I think, such as when I had a Gold resource, or a strategic resource in demand, to trade. Then shopping for the best deal could pay off.

Letting an AI civ "get the better of you" in trade--accepting their offer or even backing it down a notch (le.g. less gold from them per turn)--does help them like you better in certain situations. This is usually only worth doing if there's a particular reason you want that civ to like you better.

If you're playing Domination or they really hate you at say -200 (which can be seen by clicking Our Relationship on the other Civ's screen), letting them win a trade or two will not have any practical impact. But if Our Relationship is neutral or only slightly negative, doing this two or three times can flip the relationship up a level. Give them a gift, or give them two luxuries plus a small amount of gold to their one luxury, if you can afford the hit. Rinse and repeat every few turns, and of course, don't do anything else you know from their agenda that will tick them off.

Last edited:
Another problem with haggling besides making the game tedious is that due to various bugs and design flaws its possible to get ridiculously good deals that just make the game too easy. So for both reasons I have a self-imposed "no haggling" and "no trade initiating" rule with a few exceptions (open borders and spy recovery).

Even peace deals? I don't like to monkey around to get 1 or 2 more GPT for lux, but when I negotiate peace I usually want the farm.

Even peace deals? I don't like to monkey around to get 1 or 2 more GPT for lux, but when I negotiate peace I usually want the farm.

With the latest patch peace negotiation has been especially broken. One game I just asked for three extra cities and got them. It breaks the entire game. Domination just becomes the most powerful victory type by far, to the point where even if your goal is ultimately science or culture its still optimal just conquer whatever cities you can, get extremely favorable peace deals, and only then start on your theater or campus districts when you're in control of half the map and enemy civs have been subjugated.

The peace deals do now ruin the game, however to answer the thread...
I will push the best deal unless I want to get something like a friendship out of it.
In that case there is a modifier for giving the AI a favourable deal.
It's +1 to +10 depending on how good is the deal and seems to have a slight randomness to it

For example giving them a lux may be considered a bribe but selling them a lux for 1 gold will som etimes give you +6 or sometimes +7... selling them horses for 1 gold +9 or +10. Just an example but it's like that. It also degrades 1 per turn so you are using it to tip the balance. I just have not bothered so much after the patch

Top Bottom