[GS] People always quit

Lily_Lancer

Deity
Screen Shot 2019-10-29 at 6.02.02 PM.png

People always quit on MP games, why?

Attached is an example, only 1 other players haven't quit until T75, however he still quits on T75. Leaving me alone.

Really looking for players who don't quit to enjoy the MP fun.

Last edited:
We play in LAN with friends, but even there it is sometimes difficult to play to the end. Sometimes people complain about the starting area or they simply have work to do.

Maybe you should also try to play with friends locally? Strategy games like civilization take too long for online multiplayer.

View attachment 537997
People always quit on MP games, why?

Attached is an example, only 1 other players haven't quit until T75, however he still quits on T75. Leaving me alone.

Really looking for players who don't quit to enjoy the MP fun.

Yeah it's difficilt to finish a game. I often play with my friends in LAN (usually we are 6 players).
However I'm available if you wanna play.

I've tried MP with civ V years ago and had the same frustration. My schedule isn't right for it either, I'd probably have to quit before the mid-game to do something I have to do (most likely kids or work...).

Looking at the stats though, I think some of the others got a bit frustrated playing against you. You outrank them in almost all stats by a lot. Save to say you 'won' here. ;-)

Yes you won another MP game because you were way ahead of anyone else, that is why people quit, but you know that.
This is what happens in MP games when people lose like when someone gets to bombers first. But you know that too.
Because you post the picture I guess you are after congratulations. Well done for winning.
A great chopping start combined with Iron, nitre, horses, spices, looks like you had everything you could possibly need.

Last edited:
Play against people of your skill level or give yourself a difficulty handicap. I don't tend to quit but your lead here is extreme.

I'd wager rushing a Domination victory is only fun for the one who's pulling it off.

I understand the frustration, but also the choice of the others to quit what's most certainly not a 15-minute game.

I don't understand this thread!?
I used to play with the NQ Group and they never quit and have or had a ranking system.
You basically get banned if you quit without good reason or too often.
They also had plenty of top players.
I played thousand upon thousands of hours of MP Civ IV and Civ V.
I played about 1000 hours of Civ VI Vanilla and RF with the NQ Group and never seen much of a Quitting Problem.

Random Pick Up Games are about a 20-1 shot of everyone quitting by turn 50 or so.
I would play Random MP games for 12 hours a day and might get 1 great game for the day.
I am pretty sure everyone involved in MP knows that.

The problem with MP is what @Victoria was hinting about.
The Land Balance is a huge issue.
Some players will get a horrid start and others will have everything.
They do Re-Roll if someone is in the snow and or the map gets voted to re-roll.
Land is a major factor in MP.
You also have a problem with collusion in MP.
Many players have played for years and years with each other and basically collude.
It can not really be policed.

MP is what it is and it has plenty of merit and fun but it has a huge frustration level as well.
It is what it is and I gave up on it over a year ago.

Another major problem is certain players will stalemate war with you no matter what lol.
That just knocks both of you out of the running at times.

The last I checked with the NQ Group they seemed to have moved the site and Philly wasn't playing anymore.
Red Phoenix and some other known names were still at the top of the rankings.
@Tabarnak has been playing online for years and most likely has current information.
I seen the NQ room up the other day in random MP games.
They like to recruit in that room iirc.
@CanuckSoldier has been running one of the groups since Civ III iirc... he would most likely still have all the information needed.
Last I seen they still had a Discord Channel.

Lastly... you are a top player @Lily_Lancer so you are going to win many games by turn 75 and go through many games where everyone is quitting.
I think you know that though?
Usually what happens is in stubborn games it will come down to 2 or 3 versus 1.
I used to watch Filthy Robot play MP games on youtube and fight off double teams in the late game... things get silly at a certain point sometimes.
Usually what happens is by turn 100 everyone votes what the finish placement will be so everyone can play another game.
If they can't get a decision they will play on but by turn 100 most games are decided for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place.
Many of those players play 8, 10, 12 or more hours a day lol.

Some of my information may be obsolete though as I really did give up Civ in general for a year or two now.
Just starting back up again as I got the itch.

Edit: Just checking around and it seems they are still going strong...
Civ Players League as I forgot about that.
https://discordapp.com/channels/291751672106188800/368928122219003904

They have an FFA Leaderboard currently up to date as well.

Last edited:
I hoped the MP world got better since civ3. Many more people are online now, the connection problem is also much better, but reading this, it seems nothing improved much, which is shame. I think civ is absolutely great for multiplaying, but you really have to have time for it.
Having bad start is not excuse. There are alliances one could form with stronger, isn't it one of the advantages of the game? Have some imagination. Do your best to improve that horrid land that you got.

@Fluphen Azine That NQ group seems something right up my alley. Do you think there are more such groups? I'd give everything to be able to play a real game with right people, I don't mind playing 8 or more hours a day. I even have Discord which I never used, but also never deleted.

That NQ group seems something right up my alley. Do you think there are more such groups? I'd give everything to be able to play a real game with right people, I don't mind playing 8 or more hours a day. I even have Discord which I never used, but also never deleted.

I know a few years back they had a split with a player named Song who started his own group but I noticed many players went back to the CPL. I do think a few other groups exist but for the most part CPL is the best NQ Group that I know of for FFA and other games. It is fun and additive but sometimes you will go through crashes and re-rolls but that is all part of playing MP. 8 hours a day seems like a good start :)

Sometimes the bad starts are really bad with all snow and tundra only. Your neighbor usually won't ally with you because you are most likely too easy to roll. They vote on it so majority wins out for the most part.

Thanks @Fluphen Azine . I checked the CPL, there are currently 248 players in game, which means about 30+ games if 8 people per game. It is better than before, but I guess there should be more games so that my chance of finding a good game is good.
I'll browse now these forums and google, and maybe check Filthy Robot's videos. I'm out of trends. If you know other web centers where civilization is played, and I don't mind if it's Civ VI, (I could even play Civ 3) let me know.
I also have Discord. I know nothing about it, but I think I've got it few years back because of this game specifically. Is it helpfull in playing?

Quitting is made worse when they gift all their cities or declare war on Australia before they do. Hooo boy I had some poor sports over the weekend.

Quitting is made worse when they gift all their cities or declare war on Australia before they do. Hooo boy I had some poor sports over the weekend.
Wow, a standard civ player should really have a good sense not to do it. In fact, I don't see why it shouldn't be simply banned by all players.

Top Bottom