People keep saying "trade roads", but is it actually roads?

I just hope there's no squiggly roads this time... Civ II had it right with it's 6 (well, 4 back then) 'spokes' for every connection, converging at the middle of the hex (or tile, back then). Instantly readable, and not too unrealistic (you could still have the roads 'wiggle' a little bit along the way, as long as they follow the wider pattern).

Historically speaking it's the other way around, roads were usually built for other purposes and then trade went along them.

But it doesn't seem like a bad mechanic to me.

Agreed. For example Darius constrcuted the Royal road in the 5th century bc to aid communication around the emlire. It seems that the game design is trying to limit early movement of land units around the map but I still think the idea of being able to build an ancient super highway would be pretty cool

Agreed. For example Darius constrcuted the Royal road in the 5th century bc to aid communication around the emlire. It seems that the game design is trying to limit early movement of land units around the map but I still think the idea of being able to build an ancient super highway would be pretty cool

Well, they like to pound in the idea of Roman Roadbuilding--maybe instead of giving legions the ability to build roads, a Roman trait is that Rome's Ancient Roads provide a movement bonus similar to other Civs' more advanced ones.

Well, they like to pound in the idea of Roman Roadbuilding--maybe instead of giving legions the ability to build roads, a Roman trait is that Rome's Ancient Roads provide a movement bonus similar to other Civs' more advanced ones.

Actually, given that other civs can't manually build roads until the mid-game, if Rome's legionaries can build roads in the Classical era that would be a pretty big bonus.

Top Bottom