Pioneer/Colonist Puppet Option Proposal (DRAFT)

How does this proposal look?

• Great, keep it as is.

Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Good, but could use some tweaks.

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Bad, back to the drawing board.

Votes: 17 51.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Stalker0

Baller Magnus
this is a draft of a congress proposal I plan to submit, I wanted to circulate a draft version to get some initial feedback.

I have also included a poll. the poll is not official in anyway but gives me a feeling if I'm on the right track or if this needs a rethink.

Pioneer/Colonist can be Puppets....Game Option
@balparmak has written a modmod that allows your pioneer and colonist units when colonized, to either be a normal annexed city or a puppet. I think this is a great push for certain gameplays, but may not be popular with all styles, so the idea is to allow as a game option.

Two New Starting Game Options
  • Pioneer can puppet: Makes it where a city founded by a pioneer can be either a puppet or a normal city.
  • Colonist can puppet: Makes it where a city founded by a colonist can be either a puppet or a normal city.

Note: This would have no impact to the Venice civilization.

I don't want to bloat the game options menu with small tweaks. An option can be added to the database.

By default, proposed changes should be enabled.

I kinda disagree with it for thematical reasons.
In my understanding only a foreign entity can be a puppet. I can't imagine how you would take a part of your tribe/nation and then assign it a puppet status.
Feel free to correct me, maybe my imagination or historical knowledge is simply lacking.

I like that mod very much, cannot play without it anymore now.
It makes the "oversea colonies" feels much more like "colonies" now, which adds a big historical favor for me.

However, as far as I like it. I am neutral on this draft since we can already have that function via modmod.

puppet, but you can rush the buildings and buy units with gold in these cities.

I still dont know the maths/benefits for having puppets vs annex and just get annoyed when I dont have full control so cant give a good answer.
But as such I also dont really mind it.

Cool! I'm in favor as long as AI can use it too. Any reason why settlers would be an exception that still cannot found puppets?

I kinda disagree with it for thematical reasons.
In my understanding only a foreign entity can be a puppet. I can't imagine how you would take a part of your tribe/nation and then assign it a puppet status.
Feel free to correct me, maybe my imagination or historical knowledge is simply lacking.
So the way to think of it was like the various American colonies during the age of sail. Many of those colonies had governors from the parent country, and basically had laws and policies to serve the parent country's interest. So they were in effect a puppet of the parent country, they were there own thing, but were often forced to act against their own interests for the interest of the parent country.

Just make it Pioneer still settle like usual and Colonist settles puppets, with Colonist have instant Courthouse already built so you can annex it immediately (also to improve AI settling). You don't need to have extra options to bloat the menu.

I think this is a great idea, makes it so settling mid to late game strategic locations is less punishing for your science/culture because the city might not end up paying for itself at that part of the game. But you would still want to secure the strategic location.

What about just having two units available on some renaissance tech (maybe navigation), a Colonist and Pioneer. Colonists create "puppet" cities with their own governor (maybe text can be changed to "Colony"), maybe with the ability to still purchase stuff and Pioneers create normal cities like usual.

This is my change, but only for Colonist. Just copy it inside one of your mods.
SQL:
UPDATE  Units SET
        FoundColony = 3
        WHERE FoundLate = 1;

INSERT  INTO Unit_BuildOnFound (UnitType, BuildingClassType)
        SELECT Type, 'BUILDINGCLASS_COURTHOUSE' FROM Units
        WHERE FoundLate = 1;

UPDATE  Language_en_US SET
        Text = REPLACE(Text, 'Founds new Cities', 'Founds new [ICON_PUPPET] Puppet Cities')
        WHERE Tag IN (SELECT Help FROM Units WHERE Class = 'UNITCLASS_COLONIST');

Text = REPLACE(Text, 'cities built by Colonists', 'cities built by Colonists founded as [ICON_PUPPET] Puppet Cities,')
        WHERE Tag IN (SELECT Strategy FROM Units WHERE Class = 'UNITCLASS_COLONIST');

Text = REPLACE(Text, '[NEWLINE][ICON_BULLET] Council', '[NEWLINE][ICON_BULLET] Council[NEWLINE][ICON_BULLET] Courthouse')
        WHERE Tag IN (SELECT Strategy FROM Units WHERE Class = 'UNITCLASS_COLONIST');

Yes, and while we're on the topic, is there a way to have puppets not generate unhappiness?...

Yes, and while we're on the topic, is there a way to have puppets not generate unhappiness?...
No, it's because that's their entire point. You get some of their yields but get unhappiness in return. You also don't get an extra penalty for having lots of cities (tech, culture, tourism, etc.)

I don't know, in my experience the unhappiness is not worth it, but I might be wrong. For very strategic locations and very low yields I guess it would make sense.

I don't know, in my experience the unhappiness is not worth it, but I might be wrong. For very strategic locations and very low yields I guess it would make sense.
You gain Happiness from cities by working on Public Works repeatedly. Use it if you want to counter the unhappiness from puppets.

Top Bottom