Pioneer/Combat Engineer

For the medieval period, you already have the Crusader with a Fortress Building flic, and in my custom scenarios, I normally have the unit functioning as the engineer unit, so you could start from there. What I would like to have is a Crusader unit that could build roads, mines, barricades, and maybe irrigate. And since I have the Knight Templar set not to go obsolete, it would be nice to also have the Crusader available to build railroads, airfields, outposts, and radar towers for the modern period. A modern combat engineer unit would be good as well.

In the Rise of Rome scenario that comes with the game, the Roman Legionary is capable of building fortresses and roads, so that could be a starting point for Ancient Era engineer units.

One of the things that the War in the Pacific scenario needs is a US SeaBee unit. As the Seabees were actually part of the Navy, they should look like sailors, not soldiers.

One of the things that the War in the Pacific scenario needs is a US SeaBee unit. As the Seabees were actually part of the Navy, they should look like sailors, not soldiers.
Agree about the need for historical accuracy. With units it helps to have pictures as well as written descriptions.

WW2 era:
Spoiler :
"Negro" US Navy Construction Battalion (WW2 era):

111th Naval construction Battalion at Normandy:

WW2 era recruiting posters:

Iwo Jima - 2 CBs in trench:

@ Camp Peary (1943):

Pearl Harbor (1944):

Viet Nam War era:
Spoiler :
CBMU at Khe San (1968):

NMCB survey team near Dai Giang River (1968)

Phu Bai (1967)

Contemporary era:
Spoiler :
Modern CB Battalion:

Construction at Guantanamo:

Equipment Operator 2nd Class during field excercises:

US Navy Amphibious Construction Battalion 1 setting up camp:
The majority of the WW2 & Viet Nam era photos are from the US Navy Seabee Museum group at Flickr. There are many more pictures there of them using heavy equipment and doing various types of construction by hand.

yes, ive been reading, so my question is this...

African Americans were, because of racial reasons, heavily included in these units, so...

I was wondering, if you made the unit an African American engineer bat unit, would that be considered a complement, or controversial?

I suppose you could make him a marine instead.

The segregation itself is considered a blot on the record of the period. But the achievements of the segregated units are considered a matter of pride, afaik. One of imperator1961's packs includes a "Buffalo Soldier" - a 19th c. African American cavalryman. Weren't any complaints, iirc. There's a lot of evidence in the above photos of the "combat" part of the combat engineering. If the unit has combat animations as well as worker ones then there are a lot of options for how people could use it.

Top Bottom