Pitboss BtS Newbie Questions

RuggeR29

Chieftain
First of all, thanks for taking the time to read my thread!

My friends and I just recently bought BtS, and want to play together. However, we live in different parts of the country and have very different schedules. Pitboss seems like the perfect solution for us. However, I've only ever done direct online games before, so I have some questions. (sorry if they seem dumb)

1) Where do I get the latest copy of pitboss? (on my BtS disc?)

2) Do I install the whole game, or just a pitboss service to my "server" (acting as one anyway)?

3) What kind of hardware requirements are needed to run a pitboss server?

4) What ports do I need to forward in my router?

5) What kind of bandwidth requirements are needed to play a reasonable game?

6) I don't suppose there is a way to host the pitboss service at my webhosting company's server?

Thanks for the help guys.

When I installed BTS the BTS PB was also installed.

MY dx was updated, rest seems fine. Just remember the CIV will update to 174 so if you need the old version then dual install for ease if you have the HD space.

If you can get PB on the server and running dont see why not unless they dont want it.

First of all, thanks for taking the time to read my thread!

My friends and I just recently bought BtS, and want to play together. However, we live in different parts of the country and have very different schedules. Pitboss seems like the perfect solution for us. However, I've only ever done direct online games before, so I have some questions. (sorry if they seem dumb)

1) Where do I get the latest copy of pitboss? (on my BtS disc?)

It is in your C-drive's Firaxis/Civ4/BtS folder, the same folder your singleplayer BtS executable is in.

2) Do I install the whole game, or just a pitboss service to my "server" (acting as one anyway)?

You install the whole game.

3) What kind of hardware requirements are needed to run a pitboss server?

Not much. 300MHz (so fast pentium-1), 128MB RAM will do it.

4) What ports do I need to forward in my router?

TCP 2056, there's a "port forwarding guide" thread stickied in the subforum parent of this one.

5) What kind of bandwidth requirements are needed to play a reasonable game?

Broadband. I'd say 384kbps or better.

6) I don't suppose there is a way to host the pitboss service at my webhosting company's server?

If they are willing to run a Windows XP Pro box for you, sure. Doubtful, though.

ok, great. Thank you for the help. I'm surprised at the min requirements but that's fantastic. I was just hoping my old Athlon XP 2200 could handle it, and it certainly meets those requirements! I've definitely got the bandwidth req's under control too.

I'll check out the sticky on port forwarding, I should be able to handle that with easy.

And yeah, I figured it was one heck of a long shot on the webhosting. There's certainly no way I'll be able to rig it up on shared linux webhosting :)

Again, thank you for the help.

Top Bottom