Planning the start

Pretty funny! I'm still alive and received this one. I've actually been looking at Civ 6 and going hmm, I wonder...

Ha greetings !
I wonder if more people from back then will report to be alive :D
Maybe we can turn this into a reunion thread :p

Yes, civ6 is why im here again. I had some mixed feelings about civ6 and reading this thread at least reminds me that civ6 does not have the depth civ3 had.

That isn't to say that you looking at civ6 you should not decide not to buy it. Im sure you can afford to pay for a game even if its nothing like civ3 was and you may play it only a few dozen hours :)

Pretty funny! I'm still alive and received this one. I've actually been looking at Civ 6 and going hmm, I wonder...

Hey Sirpleb!

I see I've wandered into some thread about starts. I prefer the 10 food despotic start where you can run a 3 turn settler factory or a 1 turn worker pump. Or at least hopefully you can run a 2 turn settler pump during your golden age. But, that's probably different than the content of this thread.

If you haven't seen it, there's some other thread around somewhere where some civ III vets have discussed civ 6.

I still haven't played any game where I've tried to win all of the victory conditions on the same turn as you did in that one game of the month a while back. You had some good reads.

Thanks Spoonwood! That thread where civ III vets discuss Civ VI sure is informative. It sounds unlikely that Civ VI is going to appeal to me. Maybe after some patches but unlikely. I loved the breadth and depth of Civ III. The ability to win small or to overwhelm the map. The ability to always find a new way to play it. I was never a pure war monger but the two war based victory conditions were my favorites. It is hard to imagine Civ being a lot of fun without them being a focus.

False start, 5 yard penalty, repeat first down...
Start Plan 3.1 fixes bugs from version 3.0.

Attachments

• Start Plan 3_1_BETA.zip
    152.7 KB · Views: 230
Welcome back, SirPleb!
Yes, indeed, the GOTM competition has survived to this day... Currently GOTM 156 is requiring everyone to play for the 20K victory condition (and everyone is complaining that I made the task too hard... :mischief: So you would be very welcome to try your hands on it and prove them wrong... :D)

Regarding Civ6: I played 2-3 games single-player and a handful of games multi-player so far. It's "ok", but not that great. In fact, I liked Civ5 better in many aspects, despite the obvious shortcomings of Civ5 like the strange happiness system that makes rapid expansion very hard. But Civ5 had the best combat system of the entire series, it had very varied and interesting nations/leaders providing a broad range of approaches/strategies to choose from, and the "one unit per tile" rule requires some delicate strategic & logistic planning (especially in multi-player -- the AI doesn't seem to handle it too well...)
A few aspects of Civ6 are a bit "dull" compared to Civ5 (combat system, religion, variety of available civ traits) and others still appear unbalanced. But I see potential that with the next couple of patches it'll turn into a good game. Whether it will become "very good" remains to be seen.

But of course Civ3 remains "the best Civilization ever", as Firaxis themselves wrote on the CD box back then...! :love:

Top Bottom