1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

"Pokrovka" is surely not Scythian city name

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by lex_kravetski, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Loaf Warden

Loaf Warden (no party affiliation)

And even then, we're stuck calling them the "Olmec", a name given by the Aztecs to a people who, in their own time, were living in the same region that the ancient culture had lived in. Presumably the ancient Olmec had their own name for themselves, but it would not have been "Olmec", and we have no idea what it would have been. There's no way to represent the Olmec in-game--or anywhere else--without fudging the names.

2. Bad Wolf

Bad Wolf Chieftain

Thank you for this, I'll probably end up using a lot of these. A lot of them sound really cool!

3. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

Still, is that simply deciphering word meanings or do we have any phonetic knowledge of the language(s) that the Olmecs spoke at all? I've seen it suggested they spoke a Mixe-Zoque language, but I presumed that was based on location rather than direct linguistic evidence.

4. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Chieftain

You're welcome, but I just extracted suitable Scythian words from this post:

Alphons is the one who found the infoI just 8'converted' it into a 'Civ-friendly' list!

5. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Chieftain

I couldn't tell you - my linguistic training amounted to one class 50+ years ago in college, and then a lot of 'practical experience' courtesy of the US Army sending me to places where English wasn't spoken! My impression from what I've read is that most of it is reconstructing written words and phrases from 'Olmec' glyphs which are presumed to be similar to later Mayan glyphs for which there are translations - all very 'theoretical' and I'm not certain that they have any correlation to the sound of the words and the language at all.
    I do know, since I was doing the reading trying to come up with an 'Olmec' city list, that the linguistic work that has been done was little or no help for that at all!

6. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

Cool. I have no formal training, but historical linguistics is a hobby of mine.

7. Manifold

Manifold ModderProtectionAdvocate

back to the topic again:

I scooped up hope while I watched the trailer of the Roman Empire. There was a city name missing, so I guess they are still not finished with the city lists.

That means: the capital of the Scythians still can get an atmospheric and reasonable name:D:D:D

8. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Chieftain

Dunno about the rest of you, but one of the reasons I'm posting on these forums is, hopefully, to get some last-minute changes made to the so far revealed Civ VI!

9. Alphons Rodulfo

Alphons Rodulfo weakling

For me it is too! Otherwise it would just be complaining, wouldn't it?

10. zobra

zobra Chieftain

They way OP puts it, it's almost like they had a town named ''New Port'' or something similar. So i understand his gripes.

And it's Attila's speach was real words jumbled up, they where just jibberish. So why couldn't they just make a jibberish town name instead?

11. Guandao

Guandao Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka

I caught some Scythian city names from the video today:

Issyk

Chertomlyk

Pazyryk

Kul Ora

Myriv

Kostromskaya

these all seem to be the modern names of Scythian archeological sites...

12. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

So...we can give the Polynesians city names based on entire islands, but naming Scythian cities after Scythian tribes is too much to ask? :wallbash:

13. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Chieftain

Civilization VI:
    Step One:
    Buy/Download the game
    Step Two:
    Modify the %^$#&*^ Scythian City List
    Step Three:
    Play Game without Snarling at the Screen... :mad:

14. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

Assuming mods actually work offline this time. Mods never worked for me in Civ5 except when I was connected to the internet. :sad:

15. Manifold

Manifold ModderProtectionAdvocate

I hope it is possible to change the base files of the game specifically the city lists so that I did not care about anymore. I don´t like this mod-system for just basic optimization to enjoy the playing.

16. Alphons Rodulfo

Alphons Rodulfo weakling

Yeah, I too would like the basic game to be as good as possible and not rely on mods too much. My reason is that I like to play GoTM games, which typically do not allow any mods. I can imagine mods being probematic in multiplayer mode too.

17. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Chieftain

Who said anything about Mods? I go right in and change the City List in the files - been doing that since Civ II, and it looks like I'll be doing the same thing in Civ VI. Keep a copy of the original city list in a separate file so I can re-insert in case some problem arises later, but have never had to do that.

Mods are for changing Big Stuff, like the Tech Tree and Units, which so far it looks like they have mangled in Civ VI as badly or worse than they did in Civ V.

18. Guandao

Guandao Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka

Is the placement of Kurgans a reliable indicator that Scythian settlements were nearby? Just curious.

I hope they change Mongolia's list when they add them to the game. Civ5 city list for Mongolia was bad, it had Tabriz (a Persian city), Tiflis (aka Tbilisi, capital of Georgia), and Hsia (not a city, but a reference to Western Xia, which was conquered by the Mongols). But no Khanbalik or Xanadu!

19. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Chieftain

Maybe yes, maybe no. There is very little evidence of an actual settlement near any of the Kurgans, but then permanent evidence would be hard to come by for a nomadic lifestyle - fire pits and tent-pole holes tend to disappear after a few years, let alone many centuries!

And, of course, there is a lot of evidence around Europe for religious 'monuments' and 'tombs' like the Kurgans that are not associated with settlements or cities at all - Stonehenge, the other standing stones of northern Europe, the Pyramid-tombs and later Royal Tombs in Egypt, etc. It's speculation on very little evidence ...

20. Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko Chieftain

I think 'Hsia' was actually meant to be 'Ning-Hsia' (Ningxia). For all the Civ V civs prior to the Korean DLC the city lists were just copied over from Civ IV, though because of the way they did it some mistakes were introduced - usually missing part of the name off. The same thing happened with 'Machu' for the Inca - it should have been 'Machu Picchu'.