Poland: a particularily challenging game

Damn, i restarted a game (another one on emperor, not sure if difficulty maters much on a RFC though) and this time the Kievans colapsed, there was no one to stop the infinite mongol hordes and so GG poland.

This is really hard, I really don't want to have to expand westward early ahistorically to simply survive.

EDIT:

Nevermind that, spaming guisarmiers from heroic epic krakov like the fist of the north star saved poland :D

EDIT 2: no it didnt, they just keep coming and coming, this is annoying as **** also even if I survive the nazis and then the commies will eat me lol

I was slowly accumulating gold, and somehow I became the richest Catholic country. I then bribed two crusades and killed the Kievans. Mongols, bring it on! :D

I've yet to finish a game with Poland since I always lose interest somewhere along the way, but:

- either fight the Germans before 1200 AD or get France/Burgundy/Vikings to declare war on them in that timeframe (might cost you a tech or two but it's worth it).
- try to obtain at least one crusade, for example by buying it (Target: Kiev/Lithuania/Vikings/Bulgaria so that your troops come home quicker)
- Don't expand out of your core (beyond "the forest" between you and Kiev) before the Mongols.
- After the Mongols make sure Germany is crippled. Take/Raze 1-2 cities, if you can vasallize them, don't conquer their whole territory, it will just lead to wars with France, Burgundy & Spain.
- To counter the Plague, station 1 worker in every city and if possible 1 unit with healing. When the Plague hits, your worker dies and your military units will get sick, but a healer can counter this within 2-3 turns.
- AFTER dealing with the Germans and the Mongols expand eastwards. Fighting these 2 should leave you with a couple of highly promoted units to crush Lithuania.
(I quit my last 2 games after doing this & defeating Austria, but if your Empire runs from Prague/Augsburg to Kiev and you're techleader I think it is pretty much won)
- castles in the cities that might get attacked from Mongols/Germans are really worth their cost.
- Macemen are better defenders than Guisarmiers if stationed behind castle-walls (unless vs Mongols)
- try to get formation-promoted knights as soon as possible! and when you suspect Germany of plotting against you keep a couple of siege weapons ready to soften up their main stack.

Poland my stategy:
Build cities: Poznan, Warsaw, Konigsberg
in Konigsberg palace before 1221 (Teutonic Order will not get the technology)
wonder probably papal palace in Krakau (This wonder what gives lower maintenance costs towns)
not colonize of Pomerania or Silesia Germany will not attack you! build cities ( zamosc and stanislawow)
fast attack on the Teutonic Order as soon as it appears ( conquest ryga and build mittawa)
fast attack on the Lithuania as soon as it appears (conquest misk, pinsk, destroyed Wilnus, build Kownus, Bresc)
in force wonders Kazimierz
later it will be easy
colonization of all the stability ok and Kijow
find Protestantism
plague? Knights move north in Vilnius or the Teutonic Order
friends? they are not needed :)
if you do not colonize of Pomerania or Silesia even Germany will you like

Poland my stategy:
Build cities: Poznan, Warsaw, Konigsberg
in Konigsberg palace before 1221 (Teutonic Order will not get the technology)
wonder probably papal palace in Krakau (This wonder what gives lower maintenance costs towns)
not colonize of Pomerania or Silesia Germany will not attack you! build cities ( zamosc and stanislawow)
fast attack on the Teutonic Order as soon as it appears ( conquest ryga and build mittawa)
fast attack on the Lithuania as soon as it appears (conquest misk, pinsk, destroyed Wilnus, build Kownus, Bresc)
in force wonders Kazimierz
later it will be easy
colonization of all the stability ok and Kijow
find Protestantism
plague? Knights move north in Vilnius or the Teutonic Order
friends? they are not needed :)
if you do not colonize of Pomerania or Silesia even Germany will you like

Welcome to the CFC forum! :beer:
Sry, I'm not entirely sure about all the exact moves you did there
But glad to see that you had a fun game :)

Welcome to the CFC forum! :beer:
Sry, I'm not entirely sure about all the exact moves you did there
But glad to see that you had a fun game :)

Its easy, maybe it was long ago when you learned engilsh, or i have a great experience to translate funny englishes :D

Anyway he suggest to don't ever go westward with poland, settle all solid province, but no cities in Pomerania or Silesia. Squat Prussia and kill Lithuania asap. Then settle all historical/potential province + conquer kiev. (its a good city for anything) after this you can focus on growing and can care about religious uhv. thats all :D cheers

Top Bottom