POLL: National Parks' Glowing Green Outlines

Do you want the glowing green park outlines removed?

• No, I want my nature contained in sci-fi force-fields.

Votes: 30 28.8%
  • I only care about REAL issues like AI, you aesthetically obsessed freak.

Votes: 24 23.1%
  • Please Pan yes! Let the system designed to celebrate nature look... natural!

Votes: 26 25.0%
  • Other: "the loaded format of these answers offends me"

Votes: 24 23.1%

• Total voters

Aesthetician

Chieftain
Hi all,

Long time civ player and lover, but first time poster. What has caused me to join all you lovely fanatics is an issue I have with the game which is of a very different vein than those who are concerned with AI or design implementation. I ultimately adore the narrative implementation in the design of civ 6. I think it has been brought to a whole new level from previous iterations.

My niggle is a specific vestigial art relic.

I loved the art style of civ 6 right from the promotional material (I remember a number of folks were turned off by it in contrast to civ 5). When I am playing civ, a major component of my game experience, immersion, and satisfaction, is related to the visual and environmental narrative. Specifically, I like to feel the beauty or exploitation of the world as represented before me.

I was super hyped when National Parks were announced as a feature. I was, in turn, horrified when I saw the way they were originally demarcated was with an immersion breaking glowing green outline: like some alien radioactive bathroom tile. When they updated the art to have the lovely ranger station and fence, I was again thrilled, only to discover that my natural sanctuaries were still contained within Tron's home-decor rejects.

With the new patch on the horizon, I see the glowing green outlines still persist. PLEASE devs, PLEASE get rid of them! Or make them a toggled feature if some folks like the ease of seeing them. Nothing else in the gameworld overlay is as glaringly absurd. You have even added a great search feature now so these seizure inducing outlines are not persistently required on the map.

The world is beautiful: alive and vibrant. These green outlines, on the system specifically designed to represent the preservation of the natural, are ludo-narratively dissonant.

I understand the complaint. But honestly, I don't really care about it.

If they get rid of it, I hope they add something to the tile graphics that makes it clear they're in a national park. I know parks get this lookout tower thing but I think that only appears on one of the four tiles

I like how visible the border is. The biased variants of the answers will not give an objective result, so why even make the poll?
I hope the humor in the answers reads as just that, levity, and does not muddy a rather simple poll. I think the structure of "no", "I don't care", and "yes" is easy to parse. For anyone who does not find them chuckle worthy, I gave the "Other" option.

If there is a consensus that my tone is offensive, I will certainly change them. The park outlines are more important than my intended playful manner.

I understand the complaint. But honestly, I don't really care about it.

If they get rid of it, I hope they add something to the tile graphics that makes it clear they're in a national park. I know parks get this lookout tower thing but I think that only appears on one of the four tiles

Well, there's also a fence around the park and a giant "<City> National Park" label on it.

I don't like the green border, but I can live with it. A more pressing issue imo. is the stupid restriction that all tiles have to belong to same city. Half of the time, I can't found natural parks on perfectly valid spots because of this restriction. Just make it so that the park belongs to the city who owns the hex the naturalist is standing on when founding the park.

Also, the "4 tiles in a diagonal" restriction is rather annoying.

Yeah, it would be great to be able to remove the lines.

Will not drop a single tear for them if gone, although preferably they should be kept as a "tickable" item (as resource icons or river names) and/or inside an overlay lens.

What I'd like to see, tough, is a "clean map" lens, that removes all labels and marks (including city names, borders... and potentially units) to get a bird's eye view / aerial photo of your empire and surrondings. It was there in Civ IV (can't remember if in Civ V too, but i'm positive it was), and was great if you wanted for a moment of relax, forgetting the game and just looking at the world.

With Civ VI lenses, this seems easier than ever, but unfortunately it seems I'm not able to find it (more other lenses might be useful too -- I should check if there is a lens request thread in Ideas & Suggestions sub...)

Yeah, it would be great to be able to remove the lines.
I agree. Ideally, ease of view UI should be optional in more ways frankly, but optional.

It is important that @Victoria can still play regardless of drunkenness. So as much as parks are outlined in bright green, theatre squares could be outlined in purple, commercial hubs in yellow, etc. but all of this being a toggle feature would be wonderful.

I play the game with grid turned off. Perhaps these outlines could be part of the grid toggle for those who prioritize clarity of easy readability.

Edit: Just read that @Josephias is looking in a similar direction.

What I'd like to see, tough, is a "clean map" lens, that removes all labels and marks (including city names, borders... and potentially units) to get a bird's eye view / aerial photo of your empire and surrondings. It was there in Civ IV (can't remember if in Civ V too, but i'm positive it was), and was great if you wanted for a moment of relax, forgetting the game and just looking at the world.

With Civ VI lenses, this seems easier than ever, but unfortunately it seems I'm not able to find it (more other lenses might be useful too -- I should check if there is a lens request thread in Ideas & Suggestions sub...)

What I wouldn't give for a screenshot mode that removes all screen clutter and lets us freely rotate, tilt, and zoom the screen for the perfect pic.

I generally only make NP's in games I'm pursuing cultural victory. And the borders help me determine where I can make more. I would be okay with a toggle to toggle the borders on and off, however. But I still want them in one fashion or another in order to plan future NP's.

I'd say it's a lower priority than, say, some more variety in woodlands (conifers are lovely--but not all the world is covered in conifer forests :p ) or more city art styles (industrial/modern diversity would be nice--I dread my civ turning generic in the Industrial Era :sad: ), but yes, a prettier option for parks would be nice--and the option for smaller parks/non-vertical-diamond parks would be nice, too.

I don't know what you're up to, heretic, but if you want me to vote yes, then it must be the will of the one true God to vote no.
Technically a pagan is a pagan, not a heretic. :p Unless they're syncretizing Pan into Christianity; then they're a heretic. :p

1) You left off the option for "I play multiplayer, and what is a 'National Park'?" :shifty:

2) I would like my national parks surrounded by so much green glow that you instinctively think they're radioactive.

3) In all seriousness, the outline should be relegated to the tourism lens, if we're just talking aesthetics.

visible with the fence

I never even realized they had a fence around them. What kind of National Park has a fence around it? Ours don't, though some exceptions may be made if there is nearby cattle grazing.

The art is my favourite part of Civ 6. I've been very impressed by the art team, but this is a rare miss from them.

The green outline is ugly and unnecessary. It should go.

I do like the idea of an "I'm drunk" toggle option, which would restore the green outline, and as @Aesthetician suggested, but similarly bright coloured lines around all of your districts.

There should also be an "I'm very drunk" option, which sets all those lines to flashing, puts a "Bad guy" balloon above all enemy units, "Good guy" balloons over your units, and forces you to click "Are you sure?" three times before you can declare war.

Bonus points to any modder who connects this to a breathlyzer system that auto-sets these options for you.

Top Bottom