PolyCast Episode 318: "The Point of No Return"

DanQ

Owner, Civilized Communication
Imminent. The three hundred-and-eighteenth episode of PolyCast, "The Point of No Return", features regular co-hosts Daniel "DanQ" Quick, Stephanie "Makahlua" and Jason "MegaBearsFan" Grade with returning guests "CanusAlbinus" and Jason "NewEarthRelic". It carries a runtime of 59m59s.

The summary of topics is as follows:

- 01m34s | News
Soon to play on the Nintendo Switch is Civilization VI, though the announcement appears to have been premature.
- 08m47s | Forum Talk
Using the Shift-and-Enter key combination to bank CivVI production, science and culture is questioned for strategy and suitability; then, the purpose and _ of the various district projects (1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8) in the game (18m04s) and what effects to give to Future Technology and Civics (24m06s).
- 34m36s | Senate
In light of the Loyalty mechanic used in the Rise and Fall expansion pack for Civilization VI, what is the present status of an Archer rush.
- 45m21s | Miscellaneous
A call that more games like CivVI are "need"ed on the iPad.

- Intro/Outro | Assorted
Sky water and port access.

PolyCast is a bi-weekly audio production recording live every other Saturday throughout the year, in an ongoing effort to give the Civilization community an interactive voice; sibling show ModCast focuses on Civ modding, TurnCast on Civ multiplay.

I have to believe the shift+enter functionality is intentional and perfectly fine. I don't see it as an exloit... certainly not a bug.

If you choose to build nothing, you are sacrificing a lot. The only time I can see myself using this is after several cities are up and running and I'm satisfied with my army size. Even better if the city is maxed on districts/buildings. Or the situation Maki brings up where you're a few turns off from a key tech.

I personally like the way the projects work in Civ VI, although admittedly I don't use them much since I consider them to be something to do when you have nothing better to do. I don't like permanent projects in civ or any other game because it's too easy to forget about them. This is a nice reminder every few turns. It works perfect.

The problem with Shift-enter is that you can block people from getting great people, as well as just bypassing the population requirement on Settlers. Early game there's usually very little to build anyways and thus most abusable there. I mean I sometimes do it to end the game when there's a few turns left and I really don't want to click on pointless decisions.

Projects are not a bad concept but a horror UI wise compared to just building science and wealth. I also think campus projects are too good and it's often better to just run those or maybe theater/commercial ones and not build anything. But this is not new. In Civ 4, most stuff was inferior to building wealth too. So I think campus and theater ones need a nerf, while others need buffs especially the weak Industrial/Harbor ones of which their Great People suck most of the time anyways.

As far as moving Civ6 or games that pricey to platforms like the iPad is the limited viability of the game on it.
I played civ4 for 10 years and hope that civ6 will improve and I can play it maybe for another 5 years. I can foresee a time when civ is no longer developed for the iOS and it gets left behind as iOS updates come out and you are no longer able to play the game anymore

The problem with Shift-enter is that you can block people from getting great people, as well as just bypassing the population requirement on Settlers.

Please explain.

Even if... These are the things that need to be fixed, not the ability to end turn with a keystroke.

Please explain.

Even if... These are the things that need to be fixed, not the ability to end turn with a keystroke.

I think the issue is that SHFT-Enter doesnt just defer production; it defers everything. That includes research, civics, and great people. I've never seen it happen, because I dont use this "feature", but as I understand it, if a player defers selecting a great person, other civs cannot claim a great person in that category. I would assume it would also defer pantheon/religion selection as well.

If I'm incorrect, hopefully someone will correct me.

I think the issue is that SHFT-Enter doesnt just defer production; it defers everything. That includes research, civics, and great people. I've never seen it happen, because I dont use this "feature", but as I understand it, if a player defers selecting a great person, other civs cannot claim a great person in that category. I would assume it would also defer pantheon/religion selection as well.

If this is true, THIS is the bug. Deferring everything should mean that everyone else has a better opportunity to take advantage of it.

And while I have your attention, I'd like to say you've been an outstanding addition to the show. Your knowledge is spot on, your delivery is professional and your attitude is the best. Big time upgrade.

If this is true, THIS is the bug. Deferring everything should mean that everyone else has a better opportunity to take advantage of it.

Indeed. I wasn't intending to pass judgement, simply reminding why people see this as an issue. SHFT-Enter turn skipping would certainly be much less of a problem (if a problem at all), if it didn't cause these secondary issues.

As I said on the show, it has bailed me out on a few occasions where the game bugged out and kept telling me that a unit needed orders (even though all my units had acted) or something like that, and wouldn't let me end the turn.

And while I have your attention, I'd like to say you've been an outstanding addition to the show. Your knowledge is spot on, your delivery is professional and your attitude is the best. Big time upgrade.

Thanks! I appreciate that. :)

Top Bottom