• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Possible solutions for AI Mafia-like behavior

RedRover57

Emperor
If you have played a few games post-patch you will be familiar with the following scenario, particularly if you play at higher difficulties:

Aggressive AI civ A (e.g., Aztecs, Greece, France, China, Rome, Japan, etc.) starts in a favorable spot and quickly begins to dominate in its general area. This civ then starts to declare on every other civ on the map (as well as the player), regardless of distance or other circumstances. This frequently results in "permanent" war between the aggressive civ A and the player, particularly when separated by large distance or with another AI civ in between, since civ A will not accept any kind of reasonable peace treaty until the player is perceived as being more powerful. Often in the case when civ A is far removed from the player, they never even send any troops after declaring. So the player is basically stuck with respect to any diplomacy with this civ and has lost this civ as a trading partner, etc. To make matters worse, if the aggressive civ is a civ like Greece or Siam, the player will be forced into war with every CS ally that civ A buys up for the rest of the game, and often they begin to buy them up at a rate of one per turn.

I believe that one of the reasons for this behavior is that the aggressive civ is trying to take advantage of the propensity of weaker civs to give up most of what they own in subsequent peace treaties. You will often see peace treaties happen very quickly between AI civs, with the aggressive civ making out like a bandit (sometimes picking up several cities in the bargain). After a few of these favorable deals, the aggressive civ snowballs into a runaway. Therefore, this behavior by the aggressive civ is basically extortion in Mafioso fashion. When they DoW you from across the map they will often offer up a peace treaty a number of turns later asking you to give up most of what you own. Since it would be suicide to agree you are stuck at war. In my opinion, this behavior is game breaking and greatly reduces the fun factor.

I'm not a software programmer, but it seems that there could be several easy ways to fix this behavior. Some suggestions:

1. No DoW allowed unless the civs borders are within X tiles of each other (distance X to be determined).
2. Statute of limitations placed on DoW. Mandatory straight peace treaty if no troop interaction has occurred in 10 turns. This would work both ways, so if you the player declare on a civ and don't initiate fighting within 10 turns there will be an automatic peace.
3. Cap the amount of gold, gpt, resources, cities, etc. that can be offered up for peace. I would cap this at 25% or maybe even lower. Therefore, the "losing" civ would have some opportunity for recovery post-war and this would hopefully reduce the chance of a runaway by the aggressor.

Comments?

In my current Deity game (Standard/Standard), I got DOW'd around turn 30, then double-DOW'd by 2 more civs around turn 50, followed by two more between 60 & 75. I was so excited for an excellent starting position for Inca.

While it was hairy for a bit, I defended against the ~3 of the 6 who sent troops and am fine now--but the much bigger challenge is losing out on 6 out of 7 trading partners has me in major trouble. It's now turn ~125 and only 1 of the 6 has been willing to make peace without sacrificing all my cities/gold/etc.

I wrote this in another thread, but I now think Marathon may be harder than Standard post-patch (I would have probably reversed that pre-patch). At least at the beginning it's tougher, since the early DOW point doesn't scale as turn speed slows. Standard Deity I'll almost always get DOW'd by at least 1 civ between 15 & 40. Marathon I'll almost always get DOW'd between 25 & 45--the equivalent of turn 8-15 in Standard in terms of build/tech.

It almost seems as the AI now takes ~20-40 turns to explore, etc. and realize they are much more powerful due to the deity start advantage & just DOWs regardless.

Yeah, that loss of trading partners is a killer. It's one of the only ways to stay competitive with the AI on diety.

I actually like the idea of having a built-in limit on cold wars, though 10 turns might be too short a limit.

Maybe some sort of war-weariness could help, though I'm very leery in suggesting that.

Ten turns is plenty long enough to start your war. Usually when a player declares war he/she already has their troops in position. It should be the same for an AI civ. In every single game I have played post-patch I have at least one AI civ that declares on me and never sends a single troop near my cities. Often since they are nowhere near me.

In my last Deity game Alex declared on me early and never sent a single troop because he was also at war with every other civ around him. I had to sit in perpetual war with him for 150 turns while he bought up every CS on the map. We finally ended up fighting when he settled a city closer to me. I was also at war with China and Germany for this entire time so could not take an army to attack Alex and throttle him until he sued for peace.

Besides, ten turns is also the length of a peace agreement so it fits.

Unless this gets fixed it really isn't even worth playing.

The AI needs to put up or shut up.

I thought of 2 more fixes that need to be implemented along with the above:

4. Reduce the propensity for AI civs to declare on you just because you are perceived as weak, because often you actually aren't weak and can wipe out dozens of their troops with just a few well promoted troops and a well defended city. The attacker needs to at the very least offer up a straight peace when they have lost significant troops in comparison to the attackee. Currently it appears that you need to either wipe out all of their troops or take one or more of their cities before they will consider a straight peace (unless they are also getting hammered by one or more other AI civs at the same time).

5. Stop weak AI civs from declaring war against players just from desperation. This often ends up as a quick suicide for that AI civ, particularly when they declare on you just because they are badly losing a war against another civ. If anything, they should try to enlist your help against the other civ if you have been friendly in the past.

Hah nice comparison to the mafia. I agree the behavior is annoying.

-I don't like the limitation based on geography. The AI -can- launch intercontinental invasions, even if they only work vs. other AI's.

-I do like the idea of some propensity for peace if there has been a lot of time with no troop interaction. Maybe not automatic forced peace, but maybe the AI 'realizing' that you won't cave to their demands and accepting a white peace.

-definitely needs to be a adjustment of the AI's strength evaluation from a human player. Human troop totals need to be tripled in the AI's strength estimations.

I suppose you wouldn't need the limitation based on geography as long as a time limitation is imposed for the DoW. In other words, it would be fine if Alex DoWs you from across the map, but he would need to engage your troops before 10 turns are up. If he wants to send an army across the map past another civ that he is also at war with then good for him. If you end up wiping out all of the troops that he sent then he would have to send more and engage you again before 10 turns have expired since the last battle, or there would be automatic white peace imposed.

Dunno. The geography limit is unacceptable.

But everything else might work.

But yeah, the AI needs to learn that he just got schooled hardcore and suck it up. No way in hell i will give up everything i own when i am schooling ur soldiers.

In the Europa Universalis series they have a white peace declared if the combatants are far apart and haven't even fought for a number of years or have no way of reaching each other.

Might be a decent solution to the problem. Knowing the psychotic Civilization 5 AI though, they'd just declare on you again ASAP.

The AI should not declare war on you based on numbers(military amount of gold you have) but more why? AI should consider do i hate this guy(negatif modifiers) or is he ok a lot of positif modifiers... If its a lot negatif i will strike when he is weak...

Problem solved....... AI letting there action revolve on numbers is bad result no diplomacy

There needs to be some automatic trigger for the AI to propose a peace treaty to end an inactive war on even conditions. The peace demands are ridiculous. I haven't played an immortal game yet that didn't wind up with a 80+ turn war that was completely uneventful.

-definitely needs to be a adjustment of the AI's strength evaluation from a human player. Human troop totals need to be tripled in the AI's strength estimations.

Yes, we've discussed this in another thread, and I still think it is a great idea and would go a long way to countering some of the more bizarre behavior.

I just hope beyond hope that Firaxis hasn't decided that the last patch (the "diplo" patch) was enough.

The cold wars don't bother me overly much, and I really don't want a peace forced on me as a player, so I'm against #1 and 2.

The outrageous demands, on the other hand, are just silly and annoying. The AI shouldn't bother at all and I would like to see that fixed.

The outrageous demands, on the other hand, are just silly and annoying. The AI shouldn't bother at all and I would like to see that fixed.

If the AI did a better job of quantifying human player's strength, frivolous wars would be less common, AND peace treaty expectations would be more in line.

I did realize that from a developer's standpoint, not all CIV 5 players are alike. Though I think it's wiser to err on the side of the stronger players who can match an AI CIV at a 3 to 1 ratio or more.

I don't like your first ideas, but I will agree that 4 and 5 sound good.

#2 is nice in theory, but I hate how it would affect Defensive Pacts. If someone declares war on my AI buddy and they're capable of holding them off, it would annoy me to no end if my reinforcements arrived only to be told I was in time-out for not having hit anyone early enough. Likewise, the AI usually spends several turns preparing its forces before it helps you out with a Defense Pact, so they'd be pretty much be rendered useless.

On #3, I agree that the AI's demands are insane, but putting a strict cap on them is not the solution. I know I wouldn't accept peace from an AI with three luxuries and 20GPT if I could only get one of its luxuries and 5 GPT no matter how hard I was creaming them. The calculations should be based on damage done, like the new fighting common foes modifier is. Wiped out half their troops and only lost 10% yourself? Welp, that's a war you're winning. Lost two cities but still have a large army? You should count that as a loss, Alexander.

As an anecdote, I'm pretty sure the AI does consider positioning in its calculations. The shortest war I ever had was when Alexander DoW'd me, rode his cavalry into my borders, saw that I had a fort with a fortified Infantry unit next to a coastal city protected by a river and cannons, rode his armies out on the next turn, and asked for straight peace. We were at war for maybe four turns.

Devs could bring back war weariness. Happiness reduction based on number of turns at war. Hopefully that would reduce all of the junk wars we are seeing.

@Keejus

#3 is primarily for AI vs. AI wars, where the weaker AI is currently too quick to give up everything to a stronger AI. If this happens early in the game, the weaker AI cannot recover and is effectively dead. This can lead to the snowballing effect we see when one AI becomes a runaway early in the game. If there was a cap then the weaker AI may have a chance to recover from an early war.

Human players have the option to continue to war if they don't like the terms of a peace treaty. I have always found it stupid that the AI is willing to give me almost everything for peace, even though it means suicide for that AI.

Edit: Also I can't say as I have ever used a Defensive Pact. I just assumed that they don't work (like the rest of diplomacy).

If war weariness is re-implemented it better affect the attackers, otherwise taking a happiness hit for all the DOW against me as a player would do more harm than their troops would.

War-weariness for troops loss would make sense and solve the AI's suicide wave attack problems. Additionally SP could affect war-weariness, but that's another topic

4. Reduce the propensity for AI civs to declare on you just because you are perceived as weak, because often you actually aren't weak and can wipe out dozens of their troops with just a few well promoted troops and a well defended city. The attacker needs to at the very least offer up a straight peace when they have lost significant troops in comparison to the attackee. Currently it appears that you need to either wipe out all of their troops or take one or more of their cities before they will consider a straight peace (unless they are also getting hammered by one or more other AI civs at the same time).

I would rather have that the AI keep track of kill ratio. So that in later wars it will not underestimate it's adversary.
also for AI >< AI wars, if Hiawata has the great wall and alot of forrest, get invaded and get a 3:1 kill ratio, then the aggressor should consider that in future wars.

Just make sure kill ratio expectations diminish over time.

@Keejus

#3 is primarily for AI vs. AI wars, where the weaker AI is currently too quick to give up everything to a stronger AI. If this happens early in the game, the weaker AI cannot recover and is effectively dead. This can lead to the snowballing effect we see when one AI becomes a runaway early in the game. If there was a cap then the weaker AI may have a chance to recover from an early war.

Human players have the option to continue to war if they don't like the terms of a peace treaty. I have always found it stupid that the AI is willing to give me almost everything for peace, even though it means suicide for that AI.

It makes sense for AI wars and I'd have no problem with its implementation there, and a limitation on how many cities the player can get would be fine, too. If an AI's willing to surrender everything, it's usually because it's in a position where the player can completely wipe them out if they want.

Also, with a hard cap, the offers will only get worse the more damage you do, since the AI will have less and less for you to demand.

Edit: Also I can't say as I have ever used a Defensive Pact. I just assumed that they don't work (like the rest of diplomacy).

Certainly the AI sometimes just sits on its hands and then declares peace, but it's far from every case.

Top Bottom