Pounder's Railroads TNG

Pounder

Phaethon was here
Edit July 2, 2017: Alternate set on post#14

Edit January 8, 2015: Alternate set on post#9

Original post starts here

I finally got all the tiles done with the new format (countless hours over a long period), but I want/need to rework some of the tiles that I'm not happy with.

I thought I would post what I've done so far, sort of a beta release.

Maybe I could get some feedback.

Attachments

• railroads.pcx
    339.7 KB · Views: 818
Last edited:
They look good, Pounder! Maybe it's just me, but they seem a little big. Personal preference.

And maybe a little too "pixelated"? I dunno. I would also enjoy some buildings to go along with it, like water towers, maybe some small towns and the like.

They look good, Pounder! Maybe it's just me, but they seem a little big. Personal preference.

And maybe a little too "pixelated"? I dunno. I would also enjoy some buildings to go along with it, like water towers, maybe some small towns and the like.

Yes, they are 33% bigger, that was my original objective.

The original rails I did were 6 pixels wide, and these are 8 pixels wide.

It is kind of hard to avoid some level of pixelation, the rails and the ties are only one pixel wide, so if you are going trying to curve them or go off on an angle it will be a challenge.

I wanted to see the colour of the terrain through the railroads, something the Firaxis railroads don't do.

Like I said, I want to rework a few of the tiles.

I am planning to add any buildings on the first release. I prefer to add buildings via resources. Currently I have 128 resources in my game and many of them are buildings and small towns. I found that when you use buildings as part of the railroads they get covered by resources and the like and it can look pretty bad with the two graphics on top of each other.

I am tempted by these but I just love my round railroads and I'm not ready to change them yet. Very tempting... but not yet.

Make no mistake, they are used and appreciated. :) I really love the new update, thank you!

I posted this preview some time ago, but I never posted the file. Thought I would post the preview here so it would be easier for me to find. If there is any interest in the file, I'll post it, it is the file I use currently.

Original post starts here

Some may feel that the railroads are too dominating when the map is fully railroaded.

There have been a few versions of light railroads.

My idea to reduce rail coverage was to add telephone/telegraph poles and at the same time remove the railroads completely from the fully railed tiles.

The railroads will still show mostly along the coasts and around lakes, and the tpoles will indicate that the rails have been built and the benefit is present, but there is less graphic clutter and the layers below irrigation and such will become more visable.

I have added 3 buildings to the fully railed tiles, no buildings on the other tiles. So about 1% of the total file (272 tiles) has buildings and about 18% (3 of 17) of the fully tiled have buildings.

Since the buildings are part of the file, the wires can go over the buildings.

The rails still start and grow as they always have as the workers build them, it is only as the fully railed tiles start to show will the disappear.

Telephone poles appear throughout the file.

Attachments

• railroads.pcx
    381.1 KB · Views: 359
I've completely missed this thread. Yes, I would like to try the "railway-de-clutter" files. My mod uses different terrain set than that in your preview, but that shouldn't matter, should it?
Thanks in advance.

I am in awe of some of the work that Pounder has done. I just wish that I had maybe one-thousandth of his ability.

I spent some time fixing about half the tiles, pixel by pixel. Gone stop for a while, just too tedious.

I post the file as it is today, I can see the difference, maybe some won't.

These is an update to the alternate file that only has telephone poles for fully developed rails. It is still railroads until you star t to become fully railed.

Attachments

• 2017railroads.pcx
    380 KB · Views: 521
Top Bottom