problem with direct connect with 3+ players

Amanda111

Chieftain
Me and my friend had been playing by direct connect for some time now with no issue. My brother decided he wanted to join in and so we tried having my friend host but that's when we ran into issues.

We tried having my friend host and me and my brother connect to him, my brother host, every possible combination when we every person had ports 2033 through 2056 forwarded on both TCP and UDP. We tried with firewalls off (purely for testing), everything we could think of.

No matter what we tried it would always tell me or my brother 'contacting established peer X" in an endless loop. We thought it might be my modem, like some kind of incompatibility because me and my brother couldn't connect at all.

So then the next day I went to my friend's house and got on their network thinking it would work and the issue persisted when more than two people trying to connect, either saying "contacting peer" in an endless loop or "contacting established peer X". But me and my brother could connect at least.

We are kind of at a loss as to what to do. The only other information I can offer is that we are playing the More Naval AI modmodpack for the Fall From Heaven II mod. Though I'm not sure why that would affect anything. My modem at home is a Netgear 7550 DSL modem, and my friend's is an Arris DG1660A cable modem. I'm not sure what modem my brother has but I'm pretty sure it's the same as my friend since they have the same ISP in the same town.

The only thing I can think about why it didn't work at my friend's house might have something to do with the fact that his modem wanted a local LAN IP for what device the ports were being forwarded to and it wouldn't allow a second rule with an overlapping port range to also direct to my computer. As far as when I was at home and couldn't connect with my brother, I have no idea.

Does anyone know how we can fix this so we can direct connect? Virtual LAN/lobby is out of the question for us, at least for now since we've had issues with some friends connecting by the lobby or virtual LAN in the past with mods and this is a more sure way at least with just 2 people.

Hi,

Did all players set the following entries in c:/windows/system32/drivers/etc/host :

148.251.130.188 civ4bts.natneg1.gamespy.com
148.251.130.188 civ4bts.natneg2.gamespy.com
148.251.130.188 civ4bts.natneg3.gamespy.com
148.251.130.188 civ4bts.available.gamespy.com

Top Bottom