Problem with Fall Further

Miknah

Chieftain
Hi, new user and first time I've posted.

I've tried installing Fall From Heaven and Fall Further following a recommendation from a friend and found what I have is wildly different from what they have. When I look in the load a mod section in game I find FFH-Age of Ice, which seems to be just a specific scenario with only one leader/civilisation choice and a single small map plus a worldbuilder save. I only have the option to play a scenario or custom scenario, no play now or custom game options. Though this scenario is pretty cool, it is rather limited. I've downloaded 2 files FFsetup051 and FF051 Patch C, plus the BTS 3.19 patch, I originally downloaded the FFH2 file which gave me the Age of Ice mod but nothing else and since installing the other 2 files nothing has changed. Oddly I removed FFH2 from my computer but still get the mod in game.

I assume I've done something stupid here and if you haven't guessed already I'm not really a techie person (just love strategy games) so any simply worded advice would be a massive help. I'd really like to get this sorted as FF looks like an absolutely amazing mod and I'd really like to get my teeth into it.

Can anyone help?

You're probably clicking on the 'Beyond the Sword Features' menu, which contains a bunch of mods that are built in to Beyond the Sword, including the FFH Age of Ice scenario.

From the main Beyond the Sword menu there should be a 'mods' option that FFH and/or Full Further should be in. If they aren't then perhaps the mod isn't being installed in the right place. Right click on your Beyond the Sword shortcut and click 'Open Folder' (or from Steam right click on the game in your library, select Properties, then click Browse Local Game Files). That will take you to your Beyond the Sword install folder, and there will be a folder named Mods there. Open that up and make sure that FFH and/or Full Further are in there.

If they aren't you'll need to find where they are being installed, which is probably the default Beyond the Sword location (if you've installed it somewhere else, or are using Steam). Have a look in C:\Program Files\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods and you might find them there.

Failing all that just take a flash drive over to your friends house, copy across his FFH mod folders, and then put them in your mod folder.

To save having to go through the Beyond the Sword menu every time you want to play there should be a link inside the FFH folders to start the mod automagically, so just copy them to your desktop or whereever. You may need to change the paths in the shortcut to get it looking in the right place.

And lastly, Fall Further has been discontinued a while back, you and your friend will probably want to upgrade to a newer ModMod. Check out Rise from Erebus which is a continuation of Full Further, and comes with an updated standalone installer, or Tholal's More Naval AI which despite the name contains a wide variety of bugfixes as well as improved AI, but is a more Vanilla experience (no new civilizations for example).

As for getting into the game check out Xienwolfs Manual. Its a little out of date these days but still contains a whole heap of useful information.

Thanks for the reply.

I've tried right clicking on the shortcut but it gives me no option to open file, just open which simply runs the game. The place I've been looking in game is in Advanced/load a mod, and it's not in there. I think you're right about the location, it's in C:\Program Files\2K Games\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4 Complete\Beyond the Sword\Mods, if that's not right where should I put them? Also both the FFsetup051 and FF051patchc files are in there, is that right?

Unfortunately my friend lives on the other side of the country so flash driving it isn't going to be possible.

Lastly, would it be your advice to just forget it and download the Rise of Erebus mod instead, and if so could you give me it's correct location now to save me having to bug everyone about this again?

Cheers again for the support. :)

Alrighty then, the only thing you've forgotten to to is install the mod. You've got the mod files, but they are executable files, so you'll need to run them to have them installed. Your install directory looks pretty common so they should just install fine.

And it turns out that RifE is also discontinued, bloody hard to keep track of all the modmods these days, refer to thus: https://docs.google.com/presentatio...-ZM_wfbtA5Pul-8oacSF0IM/edit?pli=1#slide=id.p

You can download RifE here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=12320
And you can get the patch for RifE here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=20218

But you'll probably want to get Ashes of Erebus, simply cause its the most up-to-date and includes all the extra stuff you'll be wanting. You'll need a file archiver (aka compression software), that can open .7z files. 7zip is recommended - http://www.7-zip.org/download.html.

The mod recommends that you Save a profile of your current Civ options ("advanced", "options", "other", "create new profile"). If AoE messes with your options, you'll just have to reload your normal profile

Then Download version 14.11 (~790MB) and extract to ...\Your_Civ4_BTS_Folder\Beyond the Sword\Mods\ - download here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/ashesoferebus/files/Ashes of Erebus 14.11.7z/download

Ah, great thanks. Thought I had the compression software but looks like I didn't transfer them to my new computer, I had tried to run them but obviously nothing happened. That'll be the issue. Thankyou for the help (and patience).

Top Bottom