Problem with MP in new patch

smash9936

Chieftain
Amidst all the blessings of the new patch, I would hate to be one of the first to gripe :p but I seem to have a repeatable issue with multiplayer games that I am wondering if anyone else has experienced since the patch. Granted, so far I have played on large/huge map sizes, and am about to test it with a standard map size setting with a friend, but apparently around turn 80 and onward my game has a decent chance of crashing at the beginning of every turn. Thing is, nothing is happening those turns, technically. These crashes happen after the AI finishes doing their thing, and its my turn to go. Just when new notifications pop up, and a unit is auto-selected to move, it freezes, then crashes. So I don't know if map size has to do with it... but I'll try on a smaller map size anyway. I wish there was a way to disable all pop up notifications, because I have a feeling that the 20 things going on diplomatically at this stage of the game is reason for this issue.. Everything else is on low/minimum as far as graphics... I didn't have this issue before the patch, so hopefully doing a lower map setting will help.

I cannot provide a solution, but I have a question:

Have you notice the AI behave differently in MP since the patch? Previously, I think everyone considered it a placeholder and not as good as in SP.

You are going to have problems in any MP game if you are using a large or huge map. MP generally runs better with fewer players.

To answer you question, this last patch did not address any multiplayer issues but I would bet that the next major patch will be MP-focused

I cannot provide a solution, but I have a question:

Have you notice the AI behave differently in MP since the patch? Previously, I think everyone considered it a placeholder and not as good as in SP.

I usually go for science and culture wins, so I've never really tried to do anything diplomatic before the patch update, aside from research agreements. I can sign pacts of friendship with them, and they'll actually stay friends with me for the most part, unless I attack or annoy one of their friends somehow, or I get denounced. If I had to guess I'd say it's the same as single player, in that it is better. My friends and I can settle new cities close to each other without annoying each other in some way causing relations problems.

But yeah, looks like even on smaller maps my game randomly crashes. Re-loading into the game is perfectly possible, but it just seems within 20 turns I'll be back into the risk of crashing. Well... hopefully they do work on multiplayer next.

I have had a problem post patch with MP.We play 2 humans 6 AI when the new turn comes up it and I issue an order to a unit to move from point A to point B the response time is about 30 seconds before it moves after that all my other movement orders respond instantly I just have lag at the very beginning of a new turn.I never had this pre patch.Also are they ever going to give MP games an option to turn Sim turns off.

Well being that I never play AI in my MP games I don't have these issues, but from my experience with even using CS in MP, MP is fragile as it is, adding AI turn processing to the mix is bound to cause even more issues if people are playing with min spec systems.

But what I have noticed since the patch, is that almost all MP games desync/resync going from turn 0 to turn 1, and for many players the terrain and resources change completely. But after turn 1 the game is stable and plays fine.

I'm not sure if this is some issue with players syncing with each other in the staging room, or what happened in the patch that effected syncing in MP, given that there was pretty much nothing done for MP in the last patch.

CS

Any word on when and if we get a real MP patch which would include Pitboss?

Bernout

No official word, and I would not expect them to predict a MP patch until after they fill the MP programmer job they have advertised. So that that programmer can give a realistic estimate for how large the project is, after he is settled in. At most the next patch might have some MP stuff, maybe UI staging room UI stuff if Ed Beech or one of the other few Civ5 devs that are left have time and can stretch their knowledge base a bit.

CS

Top Bottom