Problem with opening C2C

c0pr4x

Warlord
I don't know why.. but sometimes it happend that C2C just doesnt open. I don't see the mod loading. When i checked the game seem running in the background but just don't load...

how can i fixed that? So i could run the game everytime?

Tanks!

I don't know why.. but sometimes it happend that C2C just doesnt open. I don't see the mod loading. When i checked the game seem running in the background but just don't load...

how can i fixed that? So i could run the game everytime?

Tanks!

Your "preload" time is taking a long time, possibly because your computer is marginal. It should eventually load after about 5 minutes at most. It will eventually load (as it is running "in the background" as you say), but if it takes longer than 5 minutes you may have other problems running it as well. Some things besides a marginal computer that add to the preload is:

Shutting off your computer
Unpacking the FPK files
Running other programs (including antivirus programs) at the same time

In the game i have no problem at all. And i have a good computer i think no?

Intel Core i7 920@2.67 gHz
6 Go RAM

It still is the preload that you are describing (and the amount of RAM over 4G is pretty much irrelevant) and that is where you need to concentrate your concern. As long as it finally does load, it doesn't really matter in the long run. Watch some TV or eat a sandwich while you are waiting. But make sure you aren't running unnecessary programs at the same time (so surfing the web is going to make matters worse).

Your "preload" time is taking a long time, possibly because your computer is marginal. It should eventually load after about 5 minutes at most. It will eventually load (as it is running "in the background" as you say), but if it takes longer than 5 minutes you may have other problems running it as well. Some things besides a marginal computer that add to the preload is:

Shutting off your computer
Unpacking the FPK files
Running other programs (including antivirus programs) at the same time
It makes a serious difference if file caching is activated in the Civ ini or not.

Ok... and how i know file caching is on? It has to be On or not?

Not very good at computer! ;)

It makes a serious difference if file caching is activated in the Civ ini or not.

Does that really affect the preload all that much? I was under the impression that affected the initialization time more.

EDIT---To the TC: I'm pretty sure the default is caching on so if you don't know how to change it it should be on, which makes it "faster".

Does that really affect the preload all that much? I was under the impression that affected the initialization time more.
What I mean is this setting in CivilizationIV.ini (found in the My Games/Beyond the Sword folder):
Code:
; Disable caching of file system (may slow initialization)
DisableFileCaching = 0
If that is set to 1, then the preload time before the splash screen is shown increases by a lot. So best have it at 0 (which is usually the default but sometimes Civ4 seems to delete that file and rewrite it with this set to 1).

then the preload time before the splash screen is shown increases by a lot.

By "splash screen" I'm assuming you mean the ~320x200 pop-up initialization window before the main menu, not the main menu window (which is what I call a "splash screen"). I assumed that the cache didn't affect that part, just the initialization time. What the TC is having problems with (from his description) is when nothing appears to be happening, which again I thought the cache didn't affect (mostly because I have the cache disabled for other reasons, so that is why I may have been mistaken---I don't mind long preloads as I can always do something else while waiting and the "splash screen" is less than a minute for me---though it is longer than other mods).

By "splash screen" I'm assuming you mean the ~320x200 pop-up initialization window before the main menu, not the main menu window (which is what I call a "splash screen"). I assumed that the cache didn't affect that part, just the initialization time. What the TC is having problems with (from his description) is when nothing appears to be happening, which again I thought the cache didn't affect (mostly because I have the cache disabled for other reasons, so that is why I may have been mistaken---I don't mind long preloads as I can always do something else while waiting and the "splash screen" is less than a minute for me---though it is longer than other mods).
I call the pop-up during initialization of the program a splash screen and so does Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Splash_screen

There is more than one cache.
The file cache I mentioned is something built-in in the Civ4 exe and we don't know exactly what it caches but I assume part of it is caching some information about the files in the FPKs. This cache mainly speeds up preloading time before the splash screen.

Then there is the built-in XML cache which allows base Civ4 to start really fast but it is deactivated/does not work in mods.
As a replacement for that I added a separate XML cache functionality to the DLL which speeds up the XML reading (which happens while the splash screen displays). That one is activated/deactivated in a global define.

This cache mainly speeds up preloading time before the splash screen.

Then there is the built-in XML cache which allows base Civ4 to start really fast but it is deactivated/does not work in mods.
As a replacement for that I added a separate XML cache functionality to the DLL which speeds up the XML reading (which happens while the splash screen displays). That one is activated/deactivated in a global define.

Ok. I assumed both of them speeded up the second part but not the first part. In any event, assuming the TC isn't a "computer person" and that the default is caching on, it should already be set at the fastest unless something accidentally got changed (since someone not computer savvy isn't going to muck around anyway with the default settings).

Ok. I assumed both of them speeded up the second part but not the first part. In any event, assuming the TC isn't a "computer person" and that the default is caching on, it should already be set at the fastest unless something accidentally got changed (since someone not computer savvy isn't going to muck around anyway with the default settings).
The file cache can be switched off by Civ4 itself (and I don't know what causes it to do that) so it is something that is worth checking if the preloading phase is very slow.

Top Bottom