Problem with Sid Meiers Chronicles Music for Civ II and TOT

StonejackatWin

Chieftain
Hey guys and gals,
i just the other day purchased chronciles. However when i load up the game there is no sound. However on the readme file it says the sound files for both civ II and TOT are completely on the second chronicles cd. However i put either disk in the cd drive and still no music. Has anyone else had a problem with the new chronicles pack? If so how did you solve the no music problem in the game. Its not the same without any music. Plus i can't find any music files in the disks themselves. Please any input would help tremendously

StonejackatWin

Presuming you are using a PC, not a Mac or PS2, can you Explore the second CD to look for a folder/subdir named /SOUND?

However when i explore the contents of the 2nd cd the only music i find is alternate tracks for civ 4 and also some manuels ect. I also explored the first civ II disc for music files and can't find any except the sound effects. I'm puzzled by this because the readme files say the music files are on the second disc. Hopefully someone knows the answer to this riddle

Later
StonejackatWin

Are you talking about sound effects, music, or both?

You wouldn't find the music on the CD if you're browsing through it in Windows, because they're on the disc as CD audio tracks, not data files. You should see the tracks if you open the Windows CD player... That doesn't solve your problem though.

What drive letter is your CD drive? Do you have multiple drives even?

Mercator,
Thanks for helping at least find the music. I can't believe i didn't think of that. However i think the only way to get the music to play is burn it onto the computer and than play it on random selection. Or just play if off the disk through windows media player. It's a pain that you can't manualy pick the music from the actual game. At least i have the music now so i guess beggars can't be choosers. And by they way my cd drive is E:\ while my DVD is D:\

again thanks for the help
StonejackatWin

That probably explains it... Civ2 has issues with multiple CD drives. Try putting the CD in your DVD drive (it prefers using the first drive, or maybe even just D:\).

Another thing that might help... Find the Civ.ini file in your Windows folder (C:\WINDOWS\CIV.INI, presumably) and add or change the WhereIsCD line to your CD path, like this:
WhereIsCD=E:\Civ2

Edit: Changed WhereIsCD path from E:\ to E:\Civ2. I guess it should match the location of the executable, though I don't know if that really matters.

I tried it all, but the soundtrack seems not to be on disc 2. Not in media player. Only Civ IV sounds and podcasts. So... any new ideas?

Have you tried, say, Audiograbber to see if it can see the tracks? Or playing it in your stereo? Or perhaps creating a CD image with your favourite CD burning program and then either burning that on another CD or using Daemon Tools to mount it as a virtual CD?

I find it hard to believe the audio tracks really aren't there. If it's taking this much trouble though, maybe the CD really is bad. In that case, you should be able to return it and ask for another one.

Have you tried, say, Audiograbber to see if it can see the tracks? Or playing it in your stereo? Or perhaps creating a CD image with your favourite CD burning program and then either burning that on another CD or using Daemon Tools to mount it as a virtual CD?

I find it hard to believe the audio tracks really aren't there. If it's taking this much trouble though, maybe the CD really is bad. In that case, you should be able to return it and ask for another one.

I tried audiograbber (I use my computer as cd player, so I don't have a stereo). Only thing I see is one data track. See attachement.

Attachments

• Adiograbber.JPG
    Adiograbber.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 205
Well, that certainly looks like the audio tracks really aren't there. All I can think of now is going back to the store and seeing if you can get a new CD... It's not very likely that just one CD doesn't have the audio on it, though. I bet it would be the same for an entire batch of CD's.

Top Bottom