Production as a road to victory

fullflava

Chieftain
For me the key is to get into the industrial age to set up for a win in the latter stages of the game. I like long games, so sue me.

Anywho, keeping healthy established foreign relations is key for me. This way I can boost my economy through a realistic representation of trade, economic development, military buildup and infrastructure development. But once I hit the Industrial Revolution, lookout.

First off, build Leonardo's Workshop so you can improve your military at half the cost. Build the Hoover Dam to dot your map with hydro plants, and as soon as you can build factories in every city you control. Trust me, sacrificing military buildup in the short run pays off in the long tenfold, especially when you find yourself able to build your space ship about 10 times faster than your nearest competitor. Remember, the reason the United States turned the tide in WWII was not just because of its immediate military strength, but because it had a manufacturing base capable of outproducing both the Japanese and Germans at the same time. By the time the US landed at Normandy the German war machine was literally out of gasoline, its factories were kaput and the US was churning out enough tanks to run four blitzkriegs of Poland. Trust me, follow the mid-20th century model of the US if you enjoy a long game.

This strategy will force you to play nice with the AI for quite a while, but this will also allow you to lay rail lines all over the map while developing an infrastructure that will allow you to build battleships, tanks, mechanized infantry and modern armor at an astounding rate. The payoff comes in the modern age when you find yourself able to produce as many as 10 or more veteran (you do have the Art of War don't you?) units every turn to add on to draftees you are pulling out of your larger cities. Once you install nuclear power plants, you are on easy street, because if you play your cards right, you can have an economy that is pumping anywhere from 150 to 1200 per turn into your coffers.

So here's the breakdown:

1. Just get to the industrial revolution with solid relations and a high culture score. I have found high cultrue generally prevents overt aggression in most cases. Then begin building factories in every city you can.
2. Build Leonardo's Workshop and the Hoover Dam ASAP. Beat the AI to these two very important wonders and you will get an incredible advantage when it comes to building guns.
3. Keep enough workers around to keep building rail lines in every nook and cranny of your empire. You will need every shield you can get your hands on and the workers will be handy for pollution outbreaks.
3a. In the case of pollution, if you can keep a good 40 workers (either slaves or homegrown) around you can control most pollution problems in one turn. Do it and save yourself the trouble of waiting for sqaures to become available again. Also remember to micromange the cities every turn to maximize the production levels. When a square gets cleaned up, make sure that it gets worked again immediately.
4. As soon as you can, build cleaner running power plants and get those nuclear plants up and running. Unlike the real world, nukes here only go in to meltdown if you let a city go into prolonged unrest.
5. Build recycling centers and mass transit. They lower pollution levels to two per turn if both are built. Trust me, they remove a ton of hassles.
6. Churn out the military units and build an invasion force allowing you to run a classic two front (read: two enemy) war if need be.

On a side note:

I prefer to build a gigantic navy to coinide with my ground forces. I like to have about 20 to 30 battleships and as many AEGIES cruisers as possible at the ready and at least five aircraft carriers. This way I can ring my empire and repel transports and marauding vessels while supporting an anivasion force. Trust me, nothing beats a state isolated from the riff raff in this game.

Any thoughts guys? Similar experiences, anecdotes, feedback, strategies? Anywho, I love this site.

Though your suggestions are somewhat vague(you are saying what to do more than how to do it), it's good advice.

I would say though, in the higher levels you are not garenteed wonders like leonardo's or sun tzu's (though you should be able to get the dam), so basing whole strategies around a few wonders can result in.... bad times.

My main question is, why draft when at peace or even at war but on the offensive? The units are defensive, it causes unhappiness, and they are conscript. I'd say it's a waste of upkeep quite frequently. If you disagree I would LOVE to hear how, as I want to draft (it's a fun concept).

Basically I follow the OCP strategy. Generally speaking, if I have a solid number of cities (at Monarch level or higher) I can usually outperform the AI in GNP by following a peaceful coexistence stratefy throughout the Middle Ages. I primarily focus my attention on tech advancement then turn around and trade whatever tech leads i have to acquire luxuries and a healthy cash reserve. I don't bother to up the happiness pay scale until much later in the game when I have begun upsetting the populace by drafting their countrymen during a democracy.

How I conduct my draft sort of follows the Eisenhower method: I sort of tell the people it's their duty to defend against Communism.

Here's how it works:

By the time I hit the Industrial Age -- if my production levels fall within the OCP strategy's high end and I have pop levels in the mid-20's -- I begin drafting conscripts on a semi-regular basis and balance out the unhappiness quotient by building police stations, cathedrals (I requirement for my style of play,) temples and colisseums. I keep my income levels high by trading a lot, even if it means bringing some rivals close to me because I can drain their coffers and usually still outperform them in science research. I can't give you specific numbers because I have not gone so far as to work them out, but I can tell you this, if you micromanage your cities on every turn you can manipulate your populace better than the policy wonks in the White House.

Unfortunately, it's not a sure thing every time out. A lot of it depends on whether or not the other civs have been warring with one another. If they have and I have avoided entering the early conflicts, I can generally trade resources, techs and luxuries with them and in a sense finance the wars and act like a Swiss banker with a very large military backing me up then build settlers to fill in the spots left when a rampaging force wipes out cities. As far as I am concerned, having towns with a happy and corrput citezenry evens out if I can deprive the other civs of territory and resources along the way. Depending on the circumstances I will wedge a settler in between low culture towns and rush build temples and libraries and literally starve my competitors out of existence. For me, it's about gaining leverage any way possible.

Now I am not saying "how" to do it because it is not an entirely fixed process, it's more of a holistic concept to approaching the game. I mean ****, I have an approach, but unlike a lot of the guys here (who know their stuff my man) I kind of play by the seat of my pants with a general; concept in mind. While I love the OCP model because it means long games it's not a fricking Bible. I mean really, if I get in to a position where I have the Persians crawling up my ass by planting 50 units on my southern border because I hold oil reserves and a two tech lead while they are giving me gems and 75 gold per turn for something as ridiculous as espionage, then I conscript to holy high Hell, switch to a wartime model and blast them in to the stone age instead of focusing on building a hydro plant. Know what I mean?

Personally I try to go in thinking long term and then respond in the short term to specific instances that influence the power flow between countries. Know what I mean? I think it takes the fun out of the game if you "have the game beat" and simply turn it in to a calculus problem.

Welcome to the dark side, fullflava! :)

I see you have turned away from the peaceful victory conditions of the modern age, and even decided to skip the ultra-late Modern Armor in favor of tanks. You have indeed grown powerful.

Now I urge you to try a cavalry blitz using Leonardo's Workshop for mass horseman upgrades. Once you have mastered the art of Middle-Age production and warfare, your journey to the dark side will be complete. :D

but I really don't think I am all that good at the game yet. I mean i have not even been able to get a Deity level game started properly. Know what I mean?

As for Middle Age cavalry, that's an interesting concept that I toyed with quite a bit. I personally enjoy the Hell out of WWI and WWII style battles, but I see nothing wrong with following the model of the Napoleonic Wars. A rampaging force of cavalry streaming in to enemy territory raping, pillaging and overruning everything in it's path sounds absolutely diabolical and fun.

fullflava, I would say that was a good "how" with the OCP and whatnot.

I like how you envision civ as real life--it sure makes the game a lot more fun.

In fact, just for you, I'm going to draft once I get too far ahead in my Emperor game--the first concript to become a regular gets renamed to fullflava's 1st Brigade ;)

I like how you write too.

Top Bottom