Propaganda

FM_Freyland

Vote with your wallets!
What exactly are the limitations on carrying out propaganda? I ask because I tried twice to use propaganda on a German city, both failing, and then I cannot try propaganda on *anybody* anymore. What am I missing?

Thanks

Jonathan

If i had to guess, given the limited info you've told us, the thing you are "missing" is money.

javad said:
Does Propaganda EVER work?

Propaganda works fairly well when used correctly. What you have to realize is that it will cost a considerable sum of money, and it is only useful in certain situations.

1. Annexing towns that have just changed hands.
The reason being that the culture for these towns is 0 there usually aren't many military units there, and the population is usually fairly low due to the size reduction on conquest, pop rushing and drafting. This causes the cost of the propaganda attempt to be significantly decreased which allows for repeated attempts on the same turn.

2. Establishing a beachead on those backward AI Islands that you occasionally find on Archipelago maps.
This allows you to gain a harbor, build up culture, and move your troops in all before you start the war.

3. Taking one square islands without a pain in the ass marine invasion.
IMO worth just about any price in gold to avoid that much micromanagement deadly bombers has made this much easier, but it still takes forever and a bunch of resources to set up and execute a successfull marine invasion.

4. (Regent and below) Pulling half of an AI's continent out from under them during a gov change.
It might just be my imagination, but during anarchy it seems like the cost of Propaganda goes down, and the success rate goes up. So gift or sell a new gov to a non religious civ, kill research to make money,watch your mil advisor for their anarchy period to start and hit them with every cent you have. Chances are you'll pull at least a few.

5. Retaking your towns that have just fallen to the AI.
They're your people, they're probably resisting, the town's culture is zero, and it's usually under cultural pressure from your other neighboring towns, so it will very likely work.

The main advantage to propaganda is that it is the only way of acquiring cities peacefully. It does cost a lot and it is never guaranteed to work but it effectively allows you to buy cities. If it worked any better it would be unbalancing.

FM_Freyland said:
What exactly are the limitations on carrying out propaganda? I ask because I tried twice to use propaganda on a German city, both failing, and then I cannot try propaganda on *anybody* anymore. What am I missing?

Most likely your opponents have recently switched to Democracy which is completely immune to propaganda.

Is it possible to 'get caught' while performing propaganda, thus creating an international incident? Like a spy can get caught?

Worked on Monarch, I even won the game through it - got the last % land area by bribing 3 minor towns.

but it is really ineffective normally, I agree.

SesnOfWthr said:
If i had to guess, given the limited info you've told us, the thing you are "missing" is money.

The previous attempts on the same cities were well within my budget, so that cannot be it.

I believe Cu Chulainn probably hit it on the head with the democracy reply. I will have to check on that tonight.

Thanks!

Jonathan

You cannot successfully initiate propaganda in that city if you already failed. It is the same as with planting of spies, if your are caught, you will have to wait some turns before trying again.

You cannot successfully initiate propaganda in that city if you already failed.

Definitely false. I've done it many times, including on the second try. In fact, I suspect the opposite is true -- subsequent propoganda effects are more likely to be successful.

Propoganda is very inefficient, but it can be made to work. See http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=86752 for a game where it was used fairly heavily...with mixed success. There's also some discussion of what influences cost and possibly success in there, too.

Arathorn

I read somewhere... the first attempt increases the chance for success of later attempts. I don't know if the second attempt is required on the same turn or not to take advantage of it.

i did remember AI using propagada once on one of my core cites. it didn't flip but my cizitens were annoyed (confused was the word used by my advisor)...

Longasc said:
You cannot successfully initiate propaganda in that city if you already failed. It is the same as with planting of spies, if your are caught, you will have to wait some turns before trying again.

Yes you can,
you probable have mixed propaganda with planitng a spy...
if you falied to plant a spy you can't plant it again on the same turn and have to wait few turns to try again...
If you have stuck of cash you can use propaganda on a city again and again until it flips...
I tested that myself, but only on low levels, I seem never have enough money for propoganda on higher levels.

Or, what might be going on, and where no one of you might have thought about, is that the other Civ is a democracy, thus being able to be bribed into your civ.
It's just a guess, because "not being able to" is a bit foggy.

jaap_jan said:
Or, what might be going on, and where no one of you might have thought about, is that the other Civ is a democracy, thus being able to be bribed into your civ.
It's just a guess, because "not being able to" is a bit foggy.

Please see Chu Cullain's post above. :twitch:

In a recent game, the AIs had tons of money and initiated propaganda against one of my border cities several times. I was in monarchy and the effect was unhappiness (similar to war weariness), despite the city being only pop 6 and me having 8 luxuries plus 2 mp. The message I got when clicking on the 2 unhappy citizens was something about "propaganda going on". I suppose in republic the city might have rioted and that would have increased the flip risk significantly.

Top Bottom