- Dec 1, 2017
This is a thread listing out small (or reasonably small?) balance changes and tweaks people would like to see implemented eg via NFP community updates. My thoughts below (which I update from time to time).
Feel free to add your own suggestions or comment.
Feel free to add your own suggestions or comment.
- Aircraft Carriers: these should work like GDRs, i.e. upgrades / promotions through the Tech Tree and can’t form Fleets or Armardas. See this mod as an example.
- Bring back Lumbermill adjacency for Rivers (maybe +1 adjacent to a river after you unlock Square Rigging, rather than +1 at Steel).
Rebalance Anti-Cav combat strength and rework their promotions. Specifically, lose Echelon and instead give AC a Tier 1 Promotion +10 Defence v Ranged (or v City Attacks), replace Redeploy with Hold the Line, and make the Capstone / Tier 4 Promotion “Fortitude - no negative Combat Strength from injuries”.AC got some good tweaks and all units got rebalanced. So, hopefully this is all good now.
- Rebalance Infantry v Tanks given both use Oil.
- Walls don’t need a direct buff, but maybe need to be more relevant. Specifically, I’d like to see Medieval and Renaissance Walls give +% for AC and Seige, which would buff Walls but also help AC better fill the niche as “cheap no resource units you can mass produce”.
- Fix England not getting a free unit / trade route if you capture a city on a new continent before you settle a city.
- Democracy, Communism and Facism exclusive cards should be useable with equivalent Tier 4 Governments (losing access to those cards are a big reason not to take Tier 4 governments).
Get Rid of Recruit Partisans Spy Mission. It’s just another reason not to build Neighbourhoods.[Well, this got tweaked, but not in a great way. I guess I’ll just treat this one as closed.]
- Consolidate a few spy missions. Do we really need separate spy missions for raising Diplo Visibility and increasing spy levels? Better yet, let us send Spies to Capital Cities as Ambassadors, and then rework and split missions between Spies and Ambassadors.
- [NEW] Let Spies be placed in Ally Cities. However, if you do, you have an increased chance of your missions failing / Spies being caught, you get huge relationship modifiers and grievances if you’re caught, and you can’t run certain missions (eg sabotage Dam, Sabotage Industrial Zone, Sabotage Spaceport).
- Let Military Engineers place roads without a charge (maybe costing one iron or one horse).
- Give Cities linked to capital city by rail a bonus (Railways just aren’t relevant as they are). e.g. +5% Growth, increasing to +10% Growth after you research Electricity.
Religious Beliefs need a rebalance similar to Pantheons. (Personally, I’d like to see more UUs unlock from Religious beliefs (i.e. more than just Monks), and maybe a few more beliefs that work with Loyalty.)[Looks like this one got actioned, more or less.]
- [NEW] Religion and Loyalty. Could Religious Beliefs have a bit more interaction with Loyalty? The current +3/-3 Loyalty is fine, but there’s room for more. eg Religious Colonization - additionally grants Cities on Foreign Continents following this Religion +2 Loyalty. Scripture - additionally grants Cities following this Religion +2 Loyalty if they have a Tier 3 Religious Building.
- [NEW] Monks and Nihang. Monks and Nihang should have a base Melee strength based on your strongest Melee Unit (the same as Vampires and City Strength). Monks need that so they stop being irrelevant late game; Nihang need that so they stop being OP.
- [NEW] Gurus and Conquistadors. Can these instead be unique units tied to specific Beliefs? That would mean three Religious Unique Units. Conquistadors would be tricky, because you wouldn’t want them turning up eg Classical Era. But if they still required Niter, and or also required a specific Civic or Building to build, it would be fine. You’d have to give Spain some other UU, eg Tercio.
- [NEW] Reformation Beliefs. Can we get back Reformation Beliefs from Civ 5? So, if you founded a Religion, there would be a fifth set of beliefs, but you could only get them after you’d unlocked a certain Civic (eg Reformed Church). They could then do cool things like letting you use Spies to spread Religion, or give you other ways to manipulate Loyalty.
- Maybe rebalance Banks and Stock Exchanges - they just don’t seem particularly relevant given how much gold there is in the game (eg maybe Banks provide gold based on how many luxes there are in your empire; maybe Stock Exchanges produces gold based on how many total trade routes you have). [Stock Exchanges got buffed a little by Corporations mode, but they’re still pretty awful.]
- [NEW] Rebalance and expand buildings. Get rid of flat yields generally, and make buildings more situational. eg Market gives Luxes +1 Gold, Library gives +1 Science to Plantations and Reefs, University and Archaeology Museum / Art Gallery gives +2 Science / Culture respectively but additional +2 in a Golden Age.
- [NEW] Buff Industrial Zone T1 and T2 Buildings. eg Workshop - additionally provides +1 Production to Camps and Pastures in this City; Factory - increase bonuses to +4 (+8 when powered).
- [NEW] Audience Chamber. Make the +3 Housing and +1 Amenities apply to the City that has the AC and any City with a Governor (ie so you’ve got a few more Governor titles to spread around given your Gov Plaza City automatically gets the bonus).
Rebalance Culture and Science City State bonuses. There is just too much Culture and Science in the game, and it's part of the reason the game flies by. My suggestion is that Cultural and Science City States no longer give yields per City, but instead only provide additional Culture and Science to your Capital or City with Government Plaza. Either that, or just make the bonus much smaller, e.g. +% for Cultural or Science buildings.[Looks like the Diplomatic Quarter has taken care of this one. Awesome.]
- Reduce Science Adjacencies. There is just way, way too much Science in the game. My suggestion is reduce Mountain and Reef Adjacencies to +0.5 and get rid of Jungle Adjacencies altogether. You could then maybe add +0.5 Adjacency for Neighbourhoods (slight buff to Neighbourhoods, and won't overpower Campuses because Neighbourhoods come so late).
[NEW] Envoys. Post June 2020 envoy changes were good but hit Mercantile and Faith CS a bit hard. Perhaps they could be buffed back to 2/2/4.[sorted.]
- One more dedication per Era (ie 5 instead of 4). The current 4 per Era are very repetitive. [NEW] Also, add the Era Overflow Mechanic from Dramatic Ages Mode into the base game.
- Maybe get rid of England’s free Melee unit and free ships (it can capture ships with a Sea Dog anyway). Instead, just give England a flat +% building Melee and Naval Units in Cities with a RND on a foreign continent. Maybe increase pollution from English factories.
- Give the Cree a free starting Recon unit. Their Recon unit is more expensive, which makes the slower to get our Recon units early game. Giving them a free Recon would offset that, and be an interesting (and not OP) tweak.
Rework Sumeria’s LA. It’s quite confusing to use in practice.Sumerian are still a mess post April 2021 update. But at least they’re a better mess.
- Make Mountain Wonders count as mountains for adjacency.
[NEW] Amenities. August Amenities changes are good, but a bit off. Make “Content” 0-2 (not -1 to 2) and buff the bonuses from Ecstatic. Buff Arena, eg provides +1 Culture and +2 Gold if City is at full Loyalty. Monarchy additionally provides +1 Amenities to all Cities per Camp. Colonial Offices Policy Card additionally provides some Amenities bonus (maybe +1 Amenity with a Governor or a Harbour / Commercial Hub).So glad FXS rolled back this change, making Amenities a lot more meaningful. Now, if we could just get them to roll back the Spy v Allies changes...
- Increase happiness and or power demands from the mid game onwards and or make happiness more important. It’s just too easy to keep everyone happy, and neither happiness nor power actually does much. [August Update has sort of tweaked Amenities requirements, which is very cool. I still think happiness requirements need to ratchet up a bit mid game onwards, but still a good change getting rid of the free amenity for each City.]
Give Mines more of a Negative, because at the reason there's no reason not to just spam hill mines. Maybe give Cities a + or - Happiness based on how many Appealing and Unappealing Tiles they have, capped at +/- 2. Mines already reduce Appeal, so that would give them a bit of a negative, and it would also just make Appeal a bit more useful overall. If that was combined with a general rebalancing of Maintenance, Happiness and Power (see above) then it really shouldn't be too powerful overall.[I think Appeal is mostly balanced okay these days, meaning Mines are maybe about right powerwise. If I was going to nerf mines at all, maybe just remove their adjacencies for the IZ.]
- Make Food a bit less Local, e.g. Internal Trade Routes just provide +1 Food, but if you build a Granary, then Trade Routes to that City provide +1 Food per Improved Food Resource (or, instead, +0.5 per Farm).
- [NEW] Rework Natural Philosophy (and Aesthetics). eg +50% Campus Adjacencies in Cities with a Governor and +50% for Cities with a Library. (Equivalent changes for Theatre Square.)
[NEW] Rework Rationalism (and Grand Opera). eg +1% Science per Campus Adjacency and +1% per Population if City has University and a Governor (Max 15%). (Equivalent changes for Theatres Square Buildings.)These cards got reworked a bit. Not ideal, but ok.