Punishment Sphere

mayford

Chieftain
What buildings that are not needed more can be dismantled after the construction of the Punishment Sphere, except for the Recreation Commons?

What buildings that are not needed more can be dismantled after the construction of the Punishment Sphere, except for the Recreation Commons?

Hologram Theatre (-2 Drones; +50% Psych)
Parardise Garden (+2 Talents)

Bear in mind that +50% Psych and +2 Talents get your city closer to a Golden Age, which gives various bonuses including +2 GROWTH. These could be useful for triggering a population boom. But yeah, you probably built your Punishment Sphere to skip all that. In my mod a Punishment Sphere costs as much to build and maintain as a Rec Commons! I tend to forget about them and don't use them, force of habit and lack of desire. But if you want to torture people into submission, you can.

I also made Rec Commons and Hologram Theater cheaper, because it's a PITA that they're not.

Bear in mind that +50% Psych and +2 Talents get your city closer to a Golden Age, which gives various bonuses including +2 GROWTH. These could be useful for triggering a population boom. But yeah, you probably built your Punishment Sphere to skip all that.

Golden Ages require Talents; Punishment Spheres preclude Talents.

Ah crap, you're right! Shows you how much I've used them over the years.

This would also imply that even though a Research Hospital and a Nanohospital aren't strictly useless at a Punishment Sphere base, they're expensive marginal gains.

Bear in mind that +50% Psych and +2 Talents get your city closer to a Golden Age, which gives various bonuses including +2 GROWTH. These could be useful for triggering a population boom. But yeah, you probably built your Punishment Sphere to skip all that. In my mod a Punishment Sphere costs as much to build and maintain as a Rec Commons! I tend to forget about them and don't use them, force of habit and lack of desire. But if you want to torture people into submission, you can.
Punishment Sphere covers all bonuses from the Golden Age, IMHO. Moreover, playing for Zakharov Golden Age is very difficult to achieve. What kind of mod do you have?

P.S. Research Hospital and a Nanohospital still give an increase to the research, because they are not completely useless.

I do post my releases regularly here. I'm actually about to kick 1.21 out the door today. It's minor stuff.
Great news!
I think that it would be right for each faction to add a bonus in view of the original construction of a building. Like, for example, at the University or Hive. This would equalize the chances of building buildings, especially at the start.
Sparta, for example, the Command Center, etc.
The University has become just mega cool! At the start, it explores technologies three times faster than others. Too much, imho.

Great news!

Unfortunately testing has revealed the AI won't actually build the 5 units I was trying to get it to build, so 1.21 is back to the drawing board for now. You're not really missing anything though. I'm trying to get the AI to do a few units that real human players often utilize to their advantage.

I think that it would be right for each faction to add a bonus in view of the original construction of a building.

Unfortunately there is no mechanism to do what you suggest. Firaxis didn't think of that back in the day.

The University has become just mega cool! At the start, it explores technologies three times faster than others. Too much, imho.

But do they survive in the midgame? My experience running AIs vs. other AIs on Transcend, is that by midgame some other faction is often trashing the University. To me that means they're still not in the strongest tier of factions, even with their new tech advantage. I think the reason for this is that on Transcend, all the AIs are given a huge tech advantage, so it takes a lot ot distinguish a faction that way. I'm not willing to give them any more than a free Biology Lab, that would just be getting ridiculous.

So my questions would be, what difficulty level are you playing on, what map size, what are the factions in your game, who is the University fighting against, and how close did they start to their enemies?

I play basic SMAC on max difficulty on a standard planet with islands. I usually save at a certain point. Then I beat the AI at each Victory condition, reloading after each win.

;)

Top Bottom