question about global warming and troops

sirgalahad1313

Chieftain
I had 2 questions that I've been trying to search answers for and have found nothing specific.

1) even though I changed the 2 xml files(vanilla and warlords) to show "0" global warming, I'm still getting a lot(my game is old age wise...around 2340 A.D.) Did I miss a file? Is there more than 2? and if not, is there a mod that will eliminate that garbage completely? It's Destroying my cities as I'm trying to build an army to tackle 5 master/vassal states at once.

2)what is the maximum amount of military troops you can have in warlords? Maybe it's my imagination but it seems as though as I make troops in 1 city, they disappear in another lol. Too much of that kool-aid maybe.

I had 2 questions that I've been trying to search answers for and have found nothing specific.

1) even though I changed the 2 xml files(vanilla and warlords) to show "0" global warming, I'm still getting a lot(my game is old age wise...around 2340 A.D.) Did I miss a file? Is there more than 2? and if not, is there a mod that will eliminate that garbage completely? It's Destroying my cities as I'm trying to build an army to tackle 5 master/vassal states at once.

2)what is the maximum amount of military troops you can have in warlords? Maybe it's my imagination but it seems as though as I make troops in 1 city, they disappear in another lol. Too much of that kool-aid maybe.
For your first question, there already is a mod the removes Global Warming. I forgot what its name is but you can probably find it in the C&C forum.
Second question, I had no idea there was a limit on your number of troops:eek:!

thnx louis the XIV, I guess the kool-aid is the answer to #2 roflmo, so I take it there is no limit. As for the mod, I'll look again, maybe i just missed it.

Found what I think is the right mod but unfortunately it's designed for BtS xpack which I don't have *sigh*. Must be an older version somewhere for Warlords only, I'll keep looking.

Last edited:

1) I don't know how you have made the change but here is how I remove global warming from the game. The file GlobalDefines.xml which exists for every version of the game (vanilla, Warlords and BTS) holds many parameters that effect the game. One of them is:

Code:
<Define>
<DefineName>GLOBAL_WARMING_PROB</DefineName>
<iDefineIntVal>20</iDefineIntVal>​
</Define>​
Changing the 20 to 0 removes global warming from the game.

The file is located in:
...\Civilization 4\Assets\XML
...\Civilization 4\Warlords\Assets\XML
...\Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Assets\XML

You can copy the GlobalDefines.xml file from the main game directory to a similar position in the customassets folder (so, in the xml directory in the customassets folder for the version of CIV where you want the change, all three if you like) and then change the 20 into 0 in that copied file to remove global warming. Files in the customassets directory are looked at first when the game is looking for game rules. It's an easy way to do it and easily reversible.

If you are playing a mod that disables CustomAssets, which many do, then you need to make the change in GlobalDefines.xml in the mod's xml folder, as well.

2) How much gold are you producing? If there is not enough gold to support all of the units, then creating a new one will cause an older one to be removed, due to not enough money (gold) to pay their salary. I can't think of any other reason for you to be having this problem.

Last edited:
A lot of great mods remove Global Warming and I hear a lot of people removed Global Warming from Civ 4.
I don't understand why that is? What is so bad about Global Warming in the game? It is all part of the challenge.
Could you please enlighten me? I have rarely played a Civ 4 game till over 1900 AD because I either win, lose, or get bored and create my own version of the mod/scenario I'm playing.

@s.bernbaum ya that's where I made the changes which just confuses me even more. I just don't get it. Money I have aplenty. have almost 100k cash. So much I've turned some cities near enemies to culture bombs

@Louis the XIV well I'm at year 2500 A.D. since I took too long to attack and let my enemy vassal everyone and their dogs. I have 3 vassals but score-wise, 2 are the weakest on the map. I may just quit this game and start a new one. As for global warming, as a builder It simply ticks me off to have spent so much time and effort to build my cities just right for maximum cash/culture/science etc. that losing tiles 2 per turn as i am now is just frustrating for me.

A lot of great mods remove Global Warming and I hear a lot of people removed Global Warming from Civ 4.
I don't understand why that is? What is so bad about Global Warming in the game? It is all part of the challenge.
Could you please enlighten me? I have rarely played a Civ 4 game till over 1900 AD because I either win, lose, or get bored and create my own version of the mod/scenario I'm playing.
Global warming, as implemented in the game, doesn't really add to the challenge as it affects all civilizations proportionately. Some just feel it's a stupid mechanic that starts randomly messing up cities and maeks thing aesthetically displeasing. My games also rarely go long enough to start global warming, so I haven't bothered to mod it out.

I mean it should be called "Nuclear Winter" instead of Global Warming. I like its effect. If you launch 100 nukes, the world chaotically falls apart with famines and improvements collapsing. Maybe it should be a "cold" and not a "hot" effect, but the main thing is tiles become arid and unusable which is not unrealistic - certainly not by this game's standards. It doesn't have a huge gameplay effect, because in the odd chance your game goes to nukes it should be close to finishing. Though I've had the odd game or two where it looked plausible that you could stall out production-wise before achieving victory. Mostly I think it just adds to the epic and chaotic feel of a nuclear endgame. Your world *should* look aesthetically displeasing, you're blowing up the world to be king of the ashes.
The issue though is that instead of a harsh nuclear winter followed by a return to the mean, the game just slowly adds more and more damage over time. That's fine assuming you're playing to win and so the game probably won't go much longer, and worst case scenario til 2050. It's a big issue if you're modding or playing for fun past 2050.

It's preferable to KMOD, where one civ starts building factories, and 10 turns later tiles start dropping like flies. And the game is like BRO watch out for your pollution. And I'm like BRO I'm not even industrialized. The year is 1650 and my entire empire is pulling a Venice.

I mean it should be called "Nuclear Winter" instead of Global Warming. I like its effect. If you launch 100 nukes, the world chaotically falls apart with famines and improvements collapsing. Maybe it should be a "cold" and not a "hot" effect, but the main thing is tiles become arid and unusable which is not unrealistic - certainly not by this game's standards. It doesn't have a huge gameplay effect, because in the odd chance your game goes to nukes it should be close to finishing. Though I've had the odd game or two where it looked plausible that you could stall out production-wise before achieving victory. Mostly I think it just adds to the epic and chaotic feel of a nuclear endgame. Your world *should* look aesthetically displeasing, you're blowing up the world to be king of the ashes.
The issue though is that instead of a harsh nuclear winter followed by a return to the mean, the game just slowly adds more and more damage over time. That's fine assuming you're playing to win and so the game probably won't go much longer, and worst case scenario til 2050. It's a big issue if you're modding or playing for fun past 2050.

It's preferable to KMOD, where one civ starts building factories, and 10 turns later tiles start dropping like flies. And the game is like BRO watch out for your pollution. And I'm like BRO I'm not even industrialized. The year is 1650 and my entire empire is pulling a Venice.
If you throw 100 nukes the world falls apart? Is that in a mod? As far as I know that is not in Civ 4, it is in Next War though.
I once used WB to give myself as many nukes as I can and see if the Earth will actually collapse and I must have thrown over 100 but nothing happened, except that all the civs hated me.

In vanilla civ IV, tossing around enough nukes or causing enough pollution (which I believe the game measures by the total amount of :yuck: caused by buildings on a given map, so coal plants are primary offenders?) will cause random tiles to instantly transform into useless deserts, which the game calls Global Warming. "Random desert fairy magic" would have been a more accurate term, admittedly, but that's neither here nor there.

Nuclear fallout is caused by either nukes going off or AIs (including city governors) being stupid enough to build nuclear power plants and waiting for them to pop instead of staying with proper, reliable coal power. Fallout on a tile will stop most if not all units dead in their tracks, causes a lot of unhealth in any nearby city, and greatly reduced tile yield. Fallout can be cleared by workers, but it takes more tech to do that than it takes to throw nukes around. So if you're going to toss around nukes make sure you toss them around early, when your enemies will still be double crippled by them and the UN hasn't shown up to ruin your fun yet :devil:.

Yeah I knew about the nukes, before I found out about this forum I used to play a lot of Earth 1000 AD scenario that ships with BtS and in the late game the Russians would get an enormous army and I shot 2 ICBM's and it was gone:lol:!
Global Warming never really affected any of my games because I rarely get to the late modern era.

Top Bottom