1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Question about stacking support units and corps/armies

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by gunnergoz, Oct 5, 2016.

1. jekke

jekke Warlord

Let's get some numbers into this. Say I have two units of strength X against a single opponent unit of strength Y (ignore promotions for now). Let's assume all units are melee, for the sake of simplicity. Now I can either attack the enemy twice with my units, or merge my two units into an army with a strength of X+10 and then attack once. In which case will my attack inflict more damage, and does it depend on the difference X-Y?

At a first glance, I would expect two attacks are better against weaker units (X-Y >0) and an army is better against stronger ones (X-Y < 0). I wonder if math works this way too.

2. qadams

qadams Bohemian

That will take some time getting used to, thinking in terms of point differences instead of percent differences.

3. stealth_nsk

stealth_nsk Deity

We don't know the exact formula, but based on what we've seen, 2 units are better here than corps made of them. The point is - in 1UPT you have only limited amount of units which could attack during each turn, so additional units will not help, while making xisting ones stronger - do. But it's still strategical decision. If you have small amount of units you'll probably don't want to join them.

4. dturtle1

dturtle1 Prince

10 str difference is roughly the difference between a stalemate and a Major Victory. 25 str difference 1shot's. Say you have 2 units, each with +5 difference against a single opponent. Rather than attacking with each individually it would be better to combine them into a corps and attack once. Not only will you do more damage(you now have +15 difference, which better than a major victory) you will take far less dmg as well. This is before considering the benefits off less tiles being taken up by units allowing more overall strength to be brought to bear. The only time you dont want to join them into corps is when you need the coverage, as an example. you require a minimum of 2 and up to 4 units to successfully surround a city. Or when you have already have a large combat advantage, +10 str is huge when you have no combat advantage, it however gets progressively worse the more combat advantage you have. You are maybe better having two +15 units then one +25 unit purely due to flexibility, though their are case to be made either way.