Questions about 2 bugs

jrehn

Chieftain
Bug 1

Nme unit do move to my production squares despite we have peace.
Very frustrating, if I am in Republic I can't even kill them.
My units can't move to a nme production unit without causing war.

Bug 2
Sometimes when I destroys a city, one of my captured cities is lost and has to be retaken despite me having units in the city.

What to do ?

Bug 1

In peace time enemy units can only move into your production squares when they unload from ships. You can do the same.

Bug 2

This is also a known bug, but noone really knows how to solve it properly. If the city remains 'yours' (your colour) you might not need to retake it. Just let it build whatever it is building and when it finishes you'll regain control of the city.

Bug 1

In peace time enemy units can only move into your production squares when they unload from ships. You can do the same.
Not true for me, it happens a lot of time that enemy units move into my production square despite peace !
Using version 1 of civ1, maybe fixed in civ 1 version 5 ??

When you have a peace treaty there are only two ways an enemy unit can move on land into your square: A) if the computer already has another unit on that square; B) if your city has stopped using that square and a nearby enemy city is now working it. That basically makes the square property of the AI.

Anyway, the thing about the ships unloading units next to your cities is still is a b!tch to deal with. Here's what you can do about it:
- block off your borders with units. Diplomats will do very well since they cause no unhappiness and require no support. If the computer wants to go on your territory now, it has to declare war and fight. Then you can freely kill it.
- Use diplomats to bribe single units on your territory to reclaim the occupied squares.
- Do a revolution so you can declare war and kill the enemy units. Switch back to republic when the revolution's over.
- If a particular enemy is constantly doing this to you it's clear they want to expand on your territory. No point to have a peace treaty with them. Just do a revolution, declare war and never speak to them again. That way you can keep killing their units.

My units can't move to a nme production unit without causing war.

You can do this, it is a very useful trick. I call it the "Diplosneak". Move your Diplomat onto a square your rival is eating. Then the NME will evacuate off the square. Next, you move a more permanent and defensively stout unit onto that square, and you can pull back your defenseless Diplomat. Now you own it, and the rival can only take it back by starting a war.

Many ways to use the Diplosneak trick. You may wish to get your offensive heavy-hitters onto a mountain adjacent to an NME city, from which they can attack more effectively. If you plan on bribing an NME city away, it becomes much more affordable if you can force it into civil unrest. To do this, use Diplosneak to occupy the high-food squares around the rival city. Soon, they can't support themselves, they go into turmoil, and you can bribe the place for pennies (and not start a larger war).

Sometimes i want to put a rival city in my pocket for later. In this case, i do not want them to have access to shields that they can use for units to break my encircling siege. Diplosneaking units onto that city's high-shield squares keeps the place from putting out dangerous units.

Even odder, sometimes i want a captive city to build Settlers which i can bribe away, since they'll become units belonging to NONE as their home city, thus they don't cost my civ any food or shields to maintain. In this case, i Diplosneak my own Settler onto the rival city's grasslands, lay down irrigation, then retreat my Setty, and let the rival take over the newly developed squares. With access to good food, the city starts putting out its own Settlers, as fast as i can bribe them away. It's like turning a rival city into a cow, and milking it.

If you ever want the rival to start a war so you can punish them, you can do the "Tethered Goat" trick. Identify the rival's most valuable square, a deer-forest or coal-hills, maybe a horse-plains or a shield-river. Then Diplosneak one of your weak units onto that square, and it will act like a grain of sand in an oyster. It irritates the rival so much that they will feel obliged to attack you.

Bug 1

Not true
Here is an example: Indian settler just moved into production square belonging to Smolensk
Civ2.png

Civ1.png

Bug 2

This is also a known bug, but noone really knows how to solve it properly. If the city remains 'yours' (your colour) you might not need to retake it. Just let it build whatever it is building and when it finishes you'll regain control of the city.
In most cases I have civil disorder in the "lost" city. So I have to retake it.

I haven't had to deal with this situation, but one thing suggests itself to me: bribery.
Settlers are not cheap, but you are buying the ability to build another city or get your roads built, etc.
Just a thought.

Not true
Here is an example: Indian settler just moved into production square belonging to Smolensk
View attachment 468494
View attachment 468495

In most cases I have civil disorder in the "lost" city. So I have to retake it.

Ah, my mistake. They can also move on unimproved squares. I'm pretty sure that if the river square you worked had roads or irrigation the computer wouldn't be able to go there.
The whole time I just (wrongly) assumed we were talking about developed squares. The screenshot clears it up now.

About the lost cities, raising luxury rates might work.

Top Bottom