1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Questions about China

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Athenaeum, Aug 15, 2015.

1. Athenaeum

Athenaeum Prince

1. Does China's general bonus stack additively or does it compound with the great general bonus honor policy?

2. I noticed the Chu-Ko-Nu doesn't actually come with the logistics promotion, but a simple trait "May Attack Twice". Does this mean it loses its ability to attack twice once you upgrade it into a Gatling Gun.

3. What percentage do the promotions "Great Generals 1" and "Great Generals 2" increase the spawn rate of great generals?

2. Amrunril

Amrunril Emperor

I'm not sure about the specifics of questions 1 and 3, but Cho-Ko-Nu definitely keep the ability to attack twice when upgraded.

3. Athenaeum

Athenaeum Prince

What happens when a Chu-Ko-Nu gets Logistics upgrade? 3 or 4 attack?

Or would it still remain 2 since they only have 2 movement, and use 1 movement point per attack?

4. Amrunril

Amrunril Emperor

They would still be limited to 2 attacks by their 2 movement.

5. Athenaeum

Athenaeum Prince

Say they were on roads?

6. Athenaeum

Athenaeum Prince

Never mind that.

7. MarauderCH

MarauderCH Warlord

The only way to get three attacks were to be playing as Persia and get gifted one. Then have the right promotions during a golden age and you would get three attacks.

8. poom3619

poom3619 Ping Pang Poom!

1. Additive. I don't think any +X% bonus in CiV is compound

2. They don't lose "Attack Twice" when it's upgraded. It's inconsistent as some UU do lose it's unique trait when upgraded. Attack spend a movement point and Chu-Ko-Nu with logistic promotion will still attack twice. You could upgrade it until it become Mechanized Infantry which they now can attack three times... It came very late in game, of course.

9. Red Menace

Red Menace Prepare to be Menaced

ranged line doesnt merge in with mech infantry in BNW

10. Athenaeum

Athenaeum Prince

Well, in some ways science is sort of compounded under certain instances. When you build a library for example, it gives you 1 science for every 2 citizens, so that's essentially a 50% science bonus (I know it's not a modifier but still). When you build a University for a 33% science boost, it takes the science you're getting from population plus library as the base. So in that sense, the bonus you get from Universities, Observatories, etc does compound with the science bonus from libraries and public schools.

11. killmeplease

killmeplease Mk Z on Steam

Hypotetically you can train a Scout to Scouting III (+1 move), then upgrade it to Archer in a ruin, then upgrade to Chkn, then get Logistics and voila you have a unit which can fire 3 times.

practically impossible though :)

12. Athenaeum

Athenaeum Prince

Problem is, practically the only way scouts can train is through fighting barbs, which caps promotions at 2. Unless you wanna build barracks/armory/military academy + brandenburg gate but scouts will probably be obsolete by then.

13. killmeplease

you can level them up in a defensive war

14. Redaxe

Redaxe Emperor

It's very hard getting to 60exp with a scout; I might have just managed it once. You're pretty much limited to defending only and even a pikeman can kill a scout in 1 turn if you're careless or unlucky. Then the chance of finding a ruin is pretty much slim to none.

I think there is a mod or a option that removes the upper limit to experience from barbs so I guess that is one way.

15. Mesix

Mesix The Allfather

This actually does not work (unless a patch changed something). I have done this and I had a 3 movement unit which could shoot two times. The Logistics and UU abilities do not stack.
    Another good way to train scouts is with a CS. You can camp a scout on a forested hill near a CS and get +2 exp each turn that the CS shoots at you. It is a great way to get that Tier 3 promotion.

16. killmeplease

thanks for the info

17. johnnybaseball

johnnybaseball Chieftain

The only way I've been able to get all the scouting promotions is in situations where I end up in a war, and my opponent parks a scout near my borders. They'll generally just fortify their scout, and you can attack it with your own scout, but can heal twice as fast, because you're standing in your own borders. It's the only unit you can safely attack with your scout, but if you can get the promotions, that scout can be really useful.

I suppose, on certain maps, like ones with a "new world" where, if you get there first, you're pretty much guaranteed to find ruins, it is possible to level the scout all the way up and then find a ruin to promote to a CB.

18. ThorHammerz

ThorHammerz zzz

Alternatively, any mod that adds a movement-bonus promotion/buff (that a china player could actually acquire) would also do the trick.

19. Athenaeum

Athenaeum Prince

Hey guys, I have a question that's a bit unrelated.

When fighting barbs, do you get Great General points from taking ranged attacks, or giving them?

I have noticed that melee combat with barbs does not contribute to general points. However I have pulled up my general progress before and found it to be nonzero when i had not been at war with anyone the whole game.

So I'm pretty sure ranged combat with barbs does contribute to general points, but im not sure if it counts both ranged attacks and defenses or just one and not the other.

20. Redaxe

Redaxe Emperor

Yeah I'm not quite sure how this goes either. I have a feeling that you get Great General Points from barbs so long as your unit has less than 30exp but I'm not entirely sure if it is as simple as that - there might be some other factor as well.