Questions about colonies...

mjd260

Chieftain
The colony concept is one that fascinates me the most in this game, but I haven't gotten to it yet and I want to find it if I'm in for a let down.

When you set cities as colonies and they become a vassal state of yours, do you get to name the new civ or does it just pick one randomly? For instance, if I, playing the Spanish, decided I wanted to name the cities Caracas, Maracaibo or Cartagena, etc., and they were to be called the Venezuelans, will the AI force them to be the Koreans, or whatever?

Also, if I'm playing max 18 civs and none have been destroyed, can I make colonies a vassal state so there'd be 19 civs in the game?

Also, I read somewhere that you can only grant colony status to cities on another continent. Can on one turn you create a colony with half the cities on the continent and on the next turn make a colony with the other half? So you'd make two colonies from one continent?

Thanks.

I will give an answer for that first question:
Yes, AI will force them to be Koreans or something else. Usually it's random,
but colonies formed by Europeans are more likely American.
Am I right?

1- Yes it's a random selection, but I do believe you can alter the chances of it being a certain nation over the others. How to do it... I don't know.

2- Before you liberate the cities you are going to turn into a colony, change the names in the city screen.

3- Under normal circumstances you can only have a maximum of 18 civs in a game, therefore if you have 18 civs already, you will not be able to add in a colony. There are MODS that change this though.

4-Yes, colonies have to be on another landmass, and you need at least two cities. The only way to get around this to something more like you're talking about would involve the worldbuilder

The only time I tried to make a colony, the computer gave me a list of two sets of three cities I could make into colonies. They weren't the cities I wanted to turn.

And is there a way to know what civilization I'd be creating? In one of my games, Peter (Russian) created Catherine (Russian too). This wouldn't be too bad. Is there a way for this to happen more often, for me included? :confused:

I'm now playing a game where I already have two colonies, and when I tried to create a third one (from recently overrun territory) my other two colonies revolt, and an independent ally declares war on me.

Is there a limit on the number of colonies one can have? Since the land I'm making into a colony was taken over in just a few turns, I don't think I'm suddenly hitting some kind of population ratio where my colonies become too big and rebel, nor would that explain why the independing AI empire who was an ally the turn before would suddenly claim I declared war upon them.

Ditch,

I had this happen too. It's a glitch. You need to download Bhruic's patch to correct the problem.

To answer the question regarding multiple colonies on a single landmass. No. You cannot split a landmass into multiple colonies. You can only create 1 colony per landmass.

Where is the "Create Colony" button?
The manual says it's on the F1 city advisor screen but I don't see it there at all? Can anyone help with this one?

Thanks!

Next to cities that can be turned into colonies, there appears a fist. It's a button. Click it!

If there are no fists, none of your current cities can be turned into a colony.

Edit: Actually, the button is in the lower right corner. The fist icons next to cities are just icons... :)

There is no button in the corner if you can't make at least one colony.

Where is the "Create Colony" button?
The manual says it's on the F1 city advisor screen but I don't see it there at all? Can anyone help with this one?

Thanks!

Little button with a fist, lower right corner. It isn't there (or it is dark, can't remember) if none of you cities can be granted independence or liberated.

Thanks for the info!
I actually saw that little fist and thought that it meant the city was unhappy (getting ready to riot or something).

Raketooy, I have to ask -- Recreativo's logo as your profile picture? I'm all for the little guy, but I don't think their chances of staying up look good this year.

Top Bottom