Questions about The BUG Mod

If it works in Linux like it does in WIndows and OSX, I may be able to help. However, as I mentioned earlier, I know nothing about Linux, except that it is derived from Unix. For starters show how you have BUG installed, in the same manner as the Read.Me uses to show how it should be. Of course, just call your user folder "user" or something like that, not your real user name.

The fact that your old save games are missing makes me wonder if the game has become corrupted, which would explain why you can't launch BUG. You are using BTS 3.19, aren't you?

You probably already know this but since you say it has been a while, old saves should be located in Documents/Civilization IV Beyond the Sword/, the same folder as the one where CustomAssets and BUG Mod folders are located for always launching BUG with BTS.

(BTW, I am just a user of BUG, having nothing to do with its creation.)

Hey I hope someone can help.

I've been running the up to date BUG mod for a long time now. However I installed the most recent BULL mod, and now any text from the BUG/BULL mods are now Debugged? sort of.

Thanks

upload_2020-8-26_9-3-59.png

I have installed bug mod but cannot get it to automatically load. Not sure what I am doing wrong.

First thing is to make sure it is installed correctly. Not having it just right is most commonly what causes this problem.

Assuming that you are using Windows:
This how it should be installed. Make sure that you don't have an extra "BUG Mod folder" in the sequence. At each step it is important that you tell it to overwrite files.

C:\Documents and Settings
<your user name>
My Documents
My Games
Beyond the Sword
CustomAssets <-- folders in Assets go here
BUG Mod <-- create this folder
Info <-- copy these two folders here
UserSettings​
PublicMaps <-- copy files from PrivateMaps here​

When the installing is done you should have:

(wherever your home directory is)
/Documents (depending on your version of Windows this may be "My Documents")
/Games (depending on your version of Windows this may be "My Games")
/Beyond The Sword
/CustomAssets
/BUG Mod
/Info
/UserSettings​
/PublicMaps​

Also be sure that you have given the game Admin privileges

If you are using a Mac, the folder names are a little different and you need to make a minor patch in BUG Mod. If you need that, post again and I will post the patch.

First thing is to make sure it is installed correctly. Not having it just right is most commonly what causes this problem.

Assuming that you are using Windows:
This how it should be installed. Make sure that you don't have an extra "BUG Mod folder" in the sequence. At each step it is important that you tell it to overwrite files.

C:\Documents and Settings
<your user name>
My Documents
My Games
Beyond the Sword
CustomAssets <-- folders in Assets go here
BUG Mod <-- create this folder
Info <-- copy these two folders here
UserSettings​
PublicMaps <-- copy files from PrivateMaps here​

When the installing is done you should have:

(wherever your home directory is)
/Documents (depending on your version of Windows this may be "My Documents")
/Games (depending on your version of Windows this may be "My Games")
/Beyond The Sword
/CustomAssets
/BUG Mod
/Info
/UserSettings​
/PublicMaps​

Also be sure that you have given the game Admin privileges

If you are using a Mac, the folder names are a little different and you need to make a minor patch in BUG Mod. If you need that, post again and I will post the patch.

Thanks, I reinstalled manually and it seems to have worked because I installed the mod to the same folder as the BTS program file.

Might not be necessarily related to BUG, but oh well.
I am having problems installing the BAT mod, which is a direct add-on for BUG. It says that it cannot detect BTS 3.19, even though installing BUG didn't have any problems. I also get an error if I proceed - error opening file for writing. Any solutions to solve this temporarily or permanently?

Download the zip file and unzip it to \Your user name\Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\Mods.

It should then load properly. The installer doesn't detect Steam or GoG installs. The folder and path will look like this with BAT 4.1 in it.

Screenshot 2021-10-26 153011.jpg

Download the zip file and unzip it to \Your user name\Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\Mods.

It should then load properly. The installer doesn't detect Steam or GoG installs. The folder and path will look like this with BAT 4.1 in it.

View attachment 612795
Oh. It doesn't detect GOG downloads, I suppose that's why. I'll try it out and I'll tell you if I get similar errors with this method
But how do you download ONLY the zip file? I can get the installer but how do I seperate these two?
Found it, I'll see if it works
Edit: It actually launches. Many thanks

Last edited:
Issue: I can set field-of-view on the over-world (I like the 60 setting), but it only works for the first city screen. When I go from one city to another from within a city screen, the field-of-view is reset to 42, until I go out to the over-word again.

Question: Is there a way to keep field-of-view settings for all cities when flipping between cities from city screens, and not just the first?

I'm trying to download the BUG mod and am really confused about the process. I've read a LOT on this website and the web page, but haven't gotten very far. Is it possible that the directory that everyone is referring to is outdated?

"My Documents" for example doesn't seem to exist. Does that matter? It would be incredible if there was a video showing how to install this thing for a basic Steam Civ IV player such as myself.

Hi!

I have written a very little code:

def onBeginActivePlayerTurn(self, argsList):
ePlayer, iGameTurn = argsList
pPlayer = gc.getActivePlayer()
Name=pPlayer.getName()

I use BUG Mode and typed in directly.
Error: Can't find event manager

If I have deleted the last line it work.
How can I solve this error?

Issue: I can set field-of-view on the over-world (I like the 60 setting), but it only works for the first city screen. When I go from one city to another from within a city screen, the field-of-view is reset to 42, until I go out to the over-word again.

Question: Is there a way to keep field-of-view settings for all cities when flipping between cities from city screens, and not just the first?

I coded that and I hated the fact that it would NOT reset for the first city. When I had multiple cities, I would quickly hit left and then right arrow so that I had the zoom at 42 for the city I just opened.

Short answer is NO ... 42 is used when in city view, your setting is used when not in city view.

Q: Why do you want to see tiles that your city can't use?

How to install on Linux? I am using Civ4 bts via wine. Installing via CustomAssets instructions didn't work - seems to be ignored. Tried to overwrite bts files but got many errors.
Anyone went through that process and can share some tips?

Help!
I'm unable to get BUG working properly on a new computer. (Windows 11 23H2, CIV DVD installation patched to 3.19). I keep receiving these errors when I start a new game; the Tech Advisor screen pops up automatically; also there is no user interface.
I've tried:
- Installing BUG from exe
- Manual BUG installation
- Copying My Games/Beyond the Sword folder from a good BUG installation on another Windows 11 computer.
All give this same error!

I'm wondering if it is an issue with the python scripts? Prior to installing Civ IV, I installed python to run an unrelated script. After installation, the .py file extension was not recognized, so I changed something in the environment variables so that Windows would recognize .py as a python script. This was my first experience with Python, so I can't remember/retrace my steps now.
1709180051465.jpeg

EDIT: I found the problem: New Windows installation; OneDrive auto-installed and changed the My Documents directory. I had uninstalled One Drive and redirected all of the default folder locations, but missed a few registry keys. After fixing the file path in the missed registry keys, BUG finds the init file and starts no problem.

More troubleshooting, none of these fixed the problem:
- Uninstalled Python
- Deleted Python from Environment variables
- Replaced all CIV files with those from a known-good installation

What could be happening here?

Last edited:
Top Bottom