1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Questions about The BUG Mod

Discussion in 'Civ4 - BTS Unaltered Gameplay (BUG, BAT and BULL)' started by alerum68, Sep 6, 2007.

1. ruff_hi

ruff_hi Live 4ever! Or die trying

I have seen it work (as you also said). I'm just saying that your experience may be spotty. One aspect to look into is that (as I have been told) ... all players must be using the same BUG options. You might want to agree on the options and then request all players use the same ones.

2. 45°38'N-13°47'E

45°38'N-13°47'E Chieftain

I knew about the same options. That's why we clear UserSettings folder and everyone replace it with my own. This should ensure that everyone has the same options.

3. 45°38'N-13°47'E

45°38'N-13°47'E Chieftain

Well, just an update, I've been able to play directIP with two other players. No out of sync for almost 160 turns over 1200 with Rise of Mankind: A New Dawn. Only pitboss is still going out of sync after the first turn. There's probably something with the graphics, which pitboss can't handle (I think), or maybe with how some component of the mod, possibly BUG, is handling the "pitboss player"

4. VCrakeV

VCrakeV Chieftain

Is it possible to select which features you want when installing? Some features conflict with a mod I use. I was going to merge them, but I can't find the tutorial. Clicking on the link in the respective thread just brings me to a download page.

5. Lemon Merchant

Lemon Merchant Not into your drama

AFAIK, there is no way to choose which components can be installed. BUG is not a very modular mod. Everything fits together and crosses many common files.

As for the tutorial, it was destroyed several years ago and never recreated.

6. MantaRevan

MantaRevan Chieftain

Hi, I use BAT mod 4.1, and I'd like to add some extra music to the soundtrack to bolster the classical and modern eras. How can I do this in a way that is compatible with your mod?

7. Lemon Merchant

Yes, I believe that you can do it. It requires some XML editing. Look in the Sound folder of \BAT 4.1\Assets\XML to find the files that you need to edit.

Keep in mind that the actual music files must be mp3 and they must live in the folder where all of the other music is. I think that's in BTS\Assets\someplace. You'll have to look for them.

I know that people have replaced music quite easily. You may have to make extra entries for more sound files. Try it with one. You'll know right away if it works because the mod will crash if it doesn't. The sound XML is really really fussy.

8. MantaRevan

MantaRevan Chieftain

Thanks for the response :goodjob:. If I make the edits to the general BtS XML, will those changes take effect while using BAT 4.1?

Totally unrelated side question: Quill18 once said in a video where he used one of your mods that it raised the AI's level of competency. Does BAT 4.1 contain alterations to the game's AI?

9. Lemon Merchant

Don't edit the general BTS XML files. If they are already included in the BAT folders, then edit those. If they aren't included in the BAT folders, then copy them from the BTS folders (or Warlords or Vanilla Civ folders - depending on the file. Some aren't in the BTS folders), then edit them in the BAT folder. You never want to directly edit your Civ master files.

When you load a mod, the game reads first from the mod's folders to find any info that it needs. If it can't find the information that it needs to load, then it looks in the BTS folders, then Warlords, and then Vanilla Civ, until it finds what it needs. So as long as you put your changed files in the BAT folder, the game will read them before the regular BTS files, and it will ignore the regular BTS files as a result.

Also, get a good editing program like Notepad++. It's free and it's wonderful. You can get it here:

https://notepad-plus-plus.org/

BAT 4.1 does not change the AI at all. It subscribes to the BUG Mod mantra of not changing gameplay. However, BAT's sister mod, Better BAT AI, does improve the AI and still gives you all the goodness of BAT with an improved and smarter AI.

If you'd like to try it, the download link is in my sig. Enjoy! :)

10. MantaRevan

MantaRevan Chieftain

Thank you for the informative response! I don't actually want the AI to be changed from its default state, so this is a good thing. I like to play save files and then send them to my dad using worldbuilder and it would hardly be fair for comparison's sake if my version of the game contained gameplay alterations!

11. Lemon Merchant

Save games from BAT 4.1 and Better BAT AI are not compatible, so no worries there. :)

12. TheNoseKnows

TheNoseKnows Chieftain

How can I merge BAT with K-MOD? I've been playing with BAT for a while, and want to try out the rule changes of K-MOD without losing all the nice graphics of BAT.

13. Lemon Merchant

It's been done.

MMod is an unauthorized fork of BAT with KMod and is not fully complete, AFAIK. As I understand it, it's been unavailable for some time. The author also can't be bothered to credit any of the modders involved, beyond Karadoc, so it is not supported in any way by me.

If you're going to do it yourself, it's a heck of a lot of work. ;)