questions fom a new player

civ2greg

Chieftain
I used to play civ2 about 3 years ago and I am interested again. I have a few questions.

1)when does the power graph come up or can it be accessed?

2) what are some basic tips for a starter

3) what is the best people to start with?

Welcome to CFC:)

1. The powergraph comes up after you've finished a game, which is after you've landed a spaceship, conquered the world or retired (which is done on the file menu)
2. One is to expand a lot in the beginning so that you have many cities, another one is to build an SSC (searched for it).
3. There is not much difference between the civs when you play them, but as the AI a leader of a civ have different styles. Some don't like Greeks or Mongols, and to avoid them you could pick that civ. The differnece the in order in which they are assigned a starting position makes purple civs get worse starting positions and more techs. I wouldn't say there is a better civ, but they have differences.:)

You could save the game at some point and then resign, which would trigger the PowerGraph to see where you are at, then reload the saved game and continue. I think your "final state" is recorded in your personal Hall of Fame or whatever, no biggie. If you just want to know what your relative Power Rating is, you need to discover one other civ in order for your Foreign Advisor to tell you (you are Pathetic, or you are Supreme, or whatever).

Tips for a starter: read CFC and Apolyton.Net, but dont try to learn everything before playing. Best thing to concentrate on is learning about Trade, as that is the most neglected but vital aspect. Play a few games as Chieftain, then a few as Warlord, then a few as Prince; as soon as you feel comfortable with a level, move up one. The major difference is that as cities grow there will be fewer content citizens before they start becoming unhappy. To get up to Emperor and Deity levels you will need to master the issue of citizen unhappiness. There are several strategies for dealing with it, from keeping all your cities small to adding Luxuries, or "happy improvements" (temples, collosseums, cathedrals) to happiness wonders like Mikes Chapel and Bachs Cathedral. The computer controlled civs may seem arrogant and dangerous, like North Korea, but once you experience how they play you will develop your own strategies for getting around (or through) them. Choose at the beginning whether you want to aim for winning by spaceship or war, as that will influence your early research strategies; you can switch later on if you do not set the "bloodlust" option on, but you may find yourself behind in research. Look at Barbarians as opportunities rather than threats: you can bribe them too, and if they are closer to another civ than one of yours they become unsupported units. Read up on the different governments and try to get out of Despotism ASAP (usually to Monarchy; look up the tech path to that). There is a pattern to the special terrains that can determine where you build cities, even if a special is "hidden" by being under grass. A good place to learn strategies and tactics is by reading the Strategy forums and joining some of the group games like Game Of The Month or Democracy Game.

If you are playing the World map each civ has a fixed starting location (there is a "randomize" option too), otherwise they do not determine what YOU can do, but some of the "inclinations" of AI-controlled civs is determined by who they are. Beware the Mongols, they are the most bloodthirsty; befreind the Babylonians, as they are the most peaceful. Usually...

Originally posted by ElephantU
...even if a special is "hidden" by being under grass.

Do you mean that an engineer can change the terrain, say from grassland to forest, and make silk or pheasant appear in that space if the grassland had covered up a resource there?

Originally posted by Xyvyr
Do you mean that an engineer can change the terrain, say from grassland to forest, and make silk or pheasant appear in that space if the grassland had covered up a resource there?

Yes. But, it doesn't have to be an engineer. A settler can also 'mine' the square to have it change to forest and have the special appear.

The main problem is not mining, but finding which square your settler should mine. This means recognizing the pattern (2-4-2). This requires some training. Press 't' and look at the map.

Originally posted by la fayette
The main problem is not mining, but finding which square your settler should mine. This means recognizing the pattern (2-4-2). This requires some training. Press 't' and look at the map.

Right on :goodjob: You'd think that with so many resource seeds it'd be a bit more varied than that. Oooh - fishies in with whales, now that's just mind blowin! :crazyeye:

ElephantU wrote: A good place to learn strategies and tactics is by reading the Strategy forums and joining some of the group games like Game Of The Month or Democracy Game.

Joining the Demo game is an excellent idea. I've been playing for years, but I learnt lots from the other guys in the Demo game. I'm still learning!

I agree with all of you : Democracy Game is the best CIV2-University !!

Top Bottom