Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
What unit's better for raiding towns, archers or horsemen?

And are catapults worth as early artillery?

Horsemen can withdraw from battle if they are losing and can walk up and attack in the same turn - the archer will have to sit right by the city, where a high-attack unit stationed in the city can hit it before it can do anything...and it has 1 defense.

Catapults can be very handy. Not something to really go out of your way for early on, but definitely useful. You can soften up defenses or damage the A.I. stacks of death (many units stacked together).

I realize that the realistic answer to that question is "forever." But I've got a game (Warlord) in which I'm playing the Mongols, sharing a continent with the Russians, English, and Germans. Across the ocean are the Dutch, Arabians, Portugese and Celts. Apparently at some point, I ruined my reputation. I think it might have been by attacking without a declaration of war, but I'm not even sure about that. I haven't broken a treaty, ROP or trade deal in at least 1000 years, I've given gifts of luxuries and resources . . . Despite this, it's nigh impossible to get anyone to trade with me, even for lump sum deals. Just about the only things I haven't given away at some point or another are gold and cities. Assuming that I can repair my rep at least a little, how long can I expect this to last, or is it solely a function of how much I'm willing to grovel and give?

The amount of time that goes by is not a factor. So any damage is perm. Gifting will only affect their attitude, not your rep.

Killin gthe civ should do nothing, if they have already had contacts with others as now all know of your perfidy.

even if u have bad repution u can still trade if with civs who r at war with the one u betrayed and u can always sell vital resources (they need it to make units or improvements) and they pay just as if u r the white heart lane D:

Reputation will not stop you from trading with anyone, It just stops you cold from using gpt with anyone at all. You can always trade for techs with techs or cash as long as they would have made a deal in the first place.

I can't recall any where I had a bad rep and they make a gpt deal, but I don't suppose they have an issue when they pay. It is when you want to pay gpt, they balk.

Mp reason for them to be concerned if you want to break adeal when they are paying you. If you actually had a bad rep they will not do any deal where you offer even 1 gpt.

The way to test your rep is to offer a deal that the advisor says that is acceptable. Then add in you paying them some gpt. It that is rejected, your rep is shot.

IIRC reputation and other civs attitudes towards you are seperate. If you have a massive empire then other civs very rarely have a good attitude to you, regardless of your reputation. While the subject is up, is declaring war while you have military units in opposition territory considered a ROP rape even if you don't have a ROP with them? Has anyone done detailed tests on what affects your reputation?

Those are victory points. They will not be in the game if you turn of that option at the start of the game. You have to own them by putting units on them.

Usually you capture the town or raze it and plant your own.

vmxa said:
The amount of time that goes by is not a factor. So any damage is perm. Gifting will only affect their attitude, not your rep.

Killin gthe civ should do nothing, if they have already had contacts with others as now all know of your perfidy.
However, if you can manage to eliminate ALL other civs who know of your perfidy, then your reputation will of course be fully repaired. ;) Generally this is only possible on continent-type maps (where two or more groups of civs are on seperate islands to begin with). Providing the continents are far enough apart, if you can eliminate all others on your continent before one side or the other begins constructing Caravels (or Galleons), then you will be fine to make any trades with the civs on the other continent once you meet them. However, it usually proves to be a difficult task to ensure that all traces of the rival civs are eliminated before the other continent is found (or finds you). You have to act very quickly. :)

Yes it is hard to do when you are not on an island. Even a contient is going to be hard, unless it has only 2 other civs. Mostly someone with met the others and the word is spread instantly.

Anyway I do not aquire a bad rep, so it is not an issue.

Ok, this question I guess requires a larger than small answer, or else it can't be answered correctly. Point is, there's something wrong with my playstyle, and I'm almost sure what it is. This the is...:My science/gold/corruption management all tied together into one damn knot! What I don't get, is what city improvements to build/not to build, how many science farms to have, how to create good science farms (since irrigating grassland does nothing I'm pretty sure), How to balance corruption, etc, etc. Also, which method should I use in Warlord Standard size games in order to excell in science: Lots of money and buy it from others? Or high science funding/science farms and be the first one to get it?

Also, a link to a thread explaining thoroughly ring-city-placement would be awesome, since even though vmxa already tried to explain it to me once, I sure as hell didn't get it :( Sorry man.

Anyways, thank in advance.

@metamike: If you decide HOW you want to WIN the game before you start playing (viz. The Victory Type), the strategy for building city improvements and resource management is much simpler. :)

My bad, my bad, my bad, DOM/CONQ victory, in PTW/Vanilla, that being said, if youve only read this post, read the one post two above this one ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom