1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Turner, Aug 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. metamike

metamike Warlord

=/ I just dont get what you mean... I mean, it's usually, Your new town has border going away from your capital 2 wide, so I move the other one 4 spots away so they close together, and then 1 more because the border that shows its my land still stays connected at 5... I simply dont get why 3 is so much better?

2. gmaharriet

gmaharriet Ancient Crone

First of all, unless you're playing as Japan, you aren't even going to know where the horses are or if you even have horses for quite awhile. Your workers have a whole LOT of roading to do to connect your towns, and your settlers have a long way to walk to found new towns.

If you should be attacked by another civ while you are waiting for all of this to get done, warriors and/or spearmen can't get from one town to the next to help defend in one turn...even with roads.

Also, you're going to have more corruption from your new towns being farther from your palace, and it will take longer to get them roaded into the trade network to benefit from any luxes.

You are going to have more tiles for each city than they can possibly work until you build hospitals, and the game should be almost over by then. Most of those extra tiles are going to be useless for most of the game.

I'm sure there are more reasons, but that's just off the top of my head. :hmm:

3. vmxa

vmxa Deity Supporter

That pretty much covers it.

Metamike unless you are alone or have a large map with less than the std number of civs, you can expect the AI to fill some of those open tiles in for you or else you will have to spend too much on culture expansion.

4. Turner

Turner Deity Retired Moderator

Normally I advise against posting the same thing in different areas of the forums, but in this kind of situation I make an exception. Take your screen shot, with as much of it as you can translate, and repost that in a new thread in the Creation & Customization subforum. I'm not familiar with that mod, but I bet someone over in that forum will recognize it.

5. metamike

metamike Warlord

Wow...holy ****...so...that's why I kept losing every time I was attacked, lack of soldiers...

Btw this isn't sarcasm, your words seriously struck me, I never thought that movement between my country made much of a difference but...wow...Ok yeah, my question's answered, whoever was next can go.

6. Avelon

Avelon Lord

Just one thing that nobody mentioned...
    CxxxxC is optimal if you want BIG trade cities. If you know you've got a landmass to yourself (or only have 1 rival on your landmass), then you could go ahead and make your core cities a 3 x 3 array with no buffer between them and no overlap. Clear out forests, jungle, etc. and road every tile, get granaries, luxuries, happiness buildings, and the maximum garrison, and get some trade routes set up for them. You're gonna get BIG commerce, which means lots of luxury/science if you want, or just a lot of income.

It's still probably a better idea to wait and do this later on, then just stick the FP in the middle of your little trade nexus.

7. metamike

metamike Warlord

Yeah, that's what I usually do, except I leave the jungles for last (figure better to get the good cities/those at least with only plains/grass at least half-way done), and this is simply because the jungles take sooo long to take out. I mean, even with like 20 workers, it took me a LONG time to get my empire free (about 8 cities, and all 20 workers working on jungles).

8. vmxa

vmxa Deity Supporter

No one said it because there is nothing optimal about CxxxxxC. It is just wasteful. The key points have been beat about many times.
    You will not be able to use more than 12 tiles in that 21 tile city for most of the game. Should you ever get to the point of hospitals, it takes time to build them and fill the metro.

It is going to make a lot of tiles for workers to road and travel over for much of the game. Settlers and troops will also have to travel over more tiles.

Protection is harder to accomplish, yeah it is not a big issue for those play in the first 5 levels.

You can still get up a few hospitals and metros later in the game with CxxC, so what is the porblem?

Distance corruption weights in sooner, that is with fewer towns.

9. Keroro

Keroro Dororo: Ninja Frog

@ Farsider44 - In the editor you need to click on the shield icon in the toolbar, and select a civilization, then cities and units can be placed. Alternatively, go to the 'Map' menu - 'Select Active Player' to do the same thing. You can't place cities or units without telling the editor which side they are for first.

10. Zelda's Man

Zelda's Man A Link to Something

Quick question: In Conquests under the HOF, does it only list one entry for each Conquest no matter how many times you beat it? How is it decided which victory shows up, ie highest score, first victory, hardest level?

11. metamike

metamike Warlord

Idk, I mean, isn't if better if you're going for a simple domination victory to get as MUCh land as possible?

12. Padma

Padma the Absent Admin Administrator Supporter

Yes, you need land. But you will take most of it from the AI, anyway. ;) What you need first is a good strong core, from which you can produce what you need (soldiers/culture/science/whatever). And that is done better by making closer cities, faster.

13. scloopy

scloopy Lost One

When trading techs. Can you trade for one that is ont in a line with what you already have? I don't really know how to put it, but a tech you don't have the backgroung techs already.

14. Abegweit

Abegweit Anarchist trader

If you don't have the prerequisites, you can't trade for a tech. To trade for Mapmaking, you need to know Writing and Pottery.

15. scloopy

scloopy Lost One

I thought that was the way it went, but my Grandson kept telling me otherwise.

Thanks

16. Lord Parkin

Lord Parkin aka emperor

Perhaps your Grandson was thinking of Civ4? :)

17. Concona

Concona Son of Etheliar

Can anyone please tell me where to find scenarios for civ3, not Conquest of PTW, just Civ3?!?!?
    I looked everywhere, but could not find any

18. vmxa

vmxa Deity Supporter

I don't rememebr any, but I suspect that you can DL any scenario and import it. You may have to change some things to get it to work. Things like civs that are not in vanilla or units.

You could even mod vanilla to include any needed civ or units.

19. Turner

Turner Deity Retired Moderator

The Ancient Mediterranean Mod
    Double Your Pleasure

Those two are on the top half of the first page in the Completed Mods section. This thread also lists some mods for Vanilla.

20. Vind2

Vind2 Woof?

Does Fascism also get spy bonus?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.