Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
The ships can be placed at a distance as in diagram A. Diagram B is naturally more efficient, but problematic without rop, and certainly not required.

In other words, if you have the ships, you can do it however you like. Just make sure you don't let any holes form, or the trade will get through.

For some reason the AI always wants to sink as many privateers as possible. Not because your not at war with them. If you were at war with them, they seem to always go for the privateers. They do with me, anyway.

Speaking of privateers (which I've never tried building), do you get any WW if your privateers are sunk?

I'm not sure gmaharriet. I guess we'll have to leave that to the more experienced players.

But I'm guessing yes, just like any other unit.

Although something else just occurred to me. Privateers are hidden nationality units, so publicly not even your average citizen knows that it belongs to their nation. This probably affects that also.

Historically people knew about their privateers, since they would be manned by random men, not the government's navy. They were used to raid cargo ships and whatever was on those would be stolen. Even though the ships weren't marked as their country's the men who manned them still had wives and stuff.

I was talking about the average citizens. Most would not know, and in those days lost ships aren't known to be lost until they're way overdue.

But my real point was that it losing a privateer shouldn't induce war-weariness in CIV as

1) You're not at war.
2) You didn't officially lose a unit (although AIs and you of course know) since they're hidden nationality units

Of course, I would concede that in RL terms there probably should be:)
Actually I was pushing for the opposite, in RL the privateers are run on a volunteer basis. It's like piracy, except you don't attack ships of your own nationality. I don't think there is such a thing as pirate weariness, and most of those men aren't married. If anything, it should reduce corruption (crime rates went down drastically when Americans started producing privateers). I did a big history project on these ships once, that's why I'm so passionate.

By the way, in RL privateers don't morph other ships into their clones either :assimilate: I just assumed I would get money for transport kills with a privateer, so I was surprised when they started multiplying.

Actually I was pushing for the opposite, in RL the privateers are run on a volunteer basis. It's like piracy, except you don't attack ships of your own nationality. I don't think there is such a thing as pirate weariness, and most of those men aren't married. If anything, it should reduce corruption (crime rates went down drastically when Americans started producing privateers). I did a big history project on these ships once, that's why I'm so passionate.

By the way, in RL privateers don't morph other ships into their clones either :assimilate: I just assumed I would get money for transport kills with a privateer, so I was surprised when they started multiplying.

I see. That's an idea for realism :) Why not get gold per-cost of the ship killed by our privateers?:D

If you really like privateers/navies (of galleons, frigates, sloops...etc) and you really like some fun, I would suggest you try Paasky's "Pirates, Yaaaargh!" scenario! It's awesome.

And your privateers will be attacked by the AI, no matter if they're in AI territory or not.

Which is why you have to cover them with one of your national navy ships.

Which is why you have to cover them with one of your national navy ships.
If you don't have ROP and don't want to build a huge super-blockade you can use privateers to cover the harbor cities. Cheaper in the short term.

Indeed, but they'll get attacked with a passion, and thus you'll have to keep producing them forever. If you cover them, it's a one time build, you'll not have to keep building more just to keep the blockade up.

Do Privateers turn other ships into Privateers...similar to what Man O' Wars do? (I'll really have to build one someday to experiment!) That would seem very realistic to me, since I believe captured ships (and crew as slaves!!!) were often kept by Pirates and commandeered into increasing their power to capture even more shipping.

Yes, pirates used to mostly raid ships by getting really close and then getting pirates on board the ship, but nowadays, you can't do that anymore with the massive ships.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom