Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aceman101 said:
Sashie VII said:
Even if you're right in the middle of the two AIs? :D

Oh, don't you worry about that, I've got enough troops to handle the situation.

gmaharriet said:
To each his own! :crazyeye: :p

Yeah I know, it's a bit crazy but, I like it.

I've just noticed that I'm doing a two front war as well atm. Weird thing to post my earlier remark eh ;)

The thing is your only allowed two or three cities and your playing Emporer and yet your still going very good :clap:. I couldn't do that!

sorry for the offtopicness.

@btfx: note that autorazing is no better than a deliberate raze. You still take an attitude hit. If the site it not going to be totally corrupt, go ahead and raze away.
Seriously? That's a shame, I have always thought differently, but I guess I need to refine my methods.
While we're on the topic, does attacking (not bombarding) a city risk a population reduction. I have a vague recollection of this happening.

Theoretically (I can't think of a situation this would help) if you took [back] a city with >50% of your population, and razed it, no rep hit right?

...While we're on the topic, does attacking (not bombarding) a city risk a population reduction...
Remember that sometimes when you declare war and see a juicy 2-pop AI city ripe for the capture, the AI (sometimes) can cheat and pop-rush a defender under despotism (as soon as war is declared by you....not on his turn!). So, not only will the city pop be reduced to 1 and the city probably auto-razed (subject to culture < 10) but the AI now has an extra defender! ;)

I can't think of an AI cheat in this game which pisses me more than that one. And it's sooo obviously a cheat.

Through exploration and map trading I can see the entire world. There are only 3 saltpeters in the entire world, with 8 total civs (standard map I'm pretty sure). Needles to say I don't have any in my borders. No Civ has more than two, so nobody has any to spare. I'm all alone on a continent and two large islands. I *could* invade a very nearby and very weak Babylon, which would give me a toehold on Arabia's continent and actually be pretty close to their saltpeter, but how can I run an effective war against my largest rival when they have muskets and I have no saltpeter? Or is it possible that there is more saltpeter out there that I"m just not seeing because of the "fog of war?"

Any advice?

but how can I run an effective war against my largest rival when they have muskets and I have no saltpeter?
Longbowmen, trebuchets, and butt loads of pikemen will do the trick very easily. Once you get the saltpeter, upgrade all the pikes to muskets, and it'll be almost impossible for the Arabs to retake that city. End the war ASAP.

Or is it possible that there is more saltpeter out there that I"m just not seeing because of the "fog of war?"
There might be. Hit crtl + shift + m to bring up a clean map. It's easier to see resources under cities and such this way.

Longbowmen, trebuchets, and butt loads of pikemen will do the trick very easily. Once you get the saltpeter, upgrade all the pikes to muskets, and it'll be almost impossible for the Arabs to retake that city.
I'm Greece, so have Hoplites, not Pikes. Upgrading will not be as easy, but should be able to rush enough muskets to provide reasonable protection. I assume Knights would do as well as longbowmen?

If you have knights, why even bother with the pikeman? knights have 3 defense too.

Cheaper adavantage against cavalry.

Question can you continue a game after time runs out.

I'm Greece, so have Hoplites, not Pikes. Upgrading will not be as easy, but should be able to rush enough muskets to provide reasonable protection. I assume Knights would do as well as longbowmen?

They would, but they're more expensive. OTOH, they'll survive more often because they can retreat. But for a slow-moving stack with trebs, I'd rather bring pikes and longbows than knights. Knights are better used in one-dimensional warfare.
Cheaper adavantage against cavalry.

Question can you continue a game after time runs out.
Yes, but you can't win it after that, and the score is no longer kept.

Through exploration and map trading I can see the entire world. There are only 3 saltpeters in the entire world, with 8 total civs (standard map I'm pretty sure). Needles to say I don't have any in my borders. No Civ has more than two, so nobody has any to spare. I'm all alone on a continent and two large islands. I *could* invade a very nearby and very weak Babylon, which would give me a toehold on Arabia's continent and actually be pretty close to their saltpeter, but how can I run an effective war against my largest rival when they have muskets and I have no saltpeter? Or is it possible that there is more saltpeter out there that I"m just not seeing because of the "fog of war?"

Any advice?
Thanks for the great advice on fighting a war to steal saltpeter away from my musket-bearing neighbors. Given the above scenario would it also be possible to simply stay on friendly terms with everybody possible, form MPPs, and try to survive without this vital resource through diplomacy? I"m roughly equal in techs, army, and culture with the strongest civs, though starting to pull away in the science race. Which option (diplomacy vs. war) would be easiest to achieve success with for a newbie in his second game (several years of Civ II experience)?

Thanks for the great advice on fighting a war to steal saltpeter away from my musket-bearing neighbors. Given the above scenario would it also be possible to simply stay on friendly terms with everybody possible, form MPPs, and try to survive without this vital resource through diplomacy? I"m roughly equal in techs, army, and culture with the strongest civs, though starting to pull away in the science race. Which option (diplomacy vs. war) would be easiest to achieve success with for a newbie in his second game (several years of Civ II experience)?
Cavalry are really really really good for taking over the world (or just a landmass). The AI does stupid things, remember, cav have high attack, ow defense, so if there are two huge stacks (of equal size), the one that gets the first strike easily wins, with few losses. The AI will march its stack up to yours, STUPID. This way when you get cavalry you can take a big chunk out of the world. So I would not suggest diplomacy (unless you need to build many many improvements, and would have little or no production for cavalry). Of course, you can aways wait it out until saltpeter is no longer important.

Or you could not pay for conquest, but what's the fun in that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom