Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
i was playing a game as Persians and I had a few Immortals that I wanted to upgrade but they don't upgrade... Well that is annoying but I can live with it but then I tried to find MDI in the build queue and it is not there. Is this usual if you play as Persia?

The reason that you can't build MI is that Immortals are 4/2/1 units just like the MI. There is no reason to build MI if you are Persia, so they aren't in the build queue. Immortals will upgrade directly to guerillas.

Since Immortals & MDI have the same stats (4-2-1) they upgrade directly to Guerrillas. They upgrade cost is higher however since your Immortals cost only 30sh while MDI cost 40sh. The same happens with War Chariots as they cannot build Horsemen and upgrade to Knights (even though horsemen are not limited as wheeled units are).

[Rats, beaten to the punch]

I thought I saw an Egyptian Horseman once.

Now that you mention it, I think there is something about being able to build horses once the Golden Age has started. There's also something about being able to build your UU even when it's replacement has shown up if you haven't had your Golden Age yet, IE build Samurai even though Cavalry are now available.

I know about the Golden Age thing; but I was surprised when I saw this Egyptian Horseman--I wondered if maybe the AI can do it but not the Human (I meant to start an game as Egypt so I could check it out, but I forgot).

It would be simpler to check by just looking at the C3C map editor. It lists all units and what they upgrade to. Just check what the War Chariot upgrades to.

It would be simpler to check by just looking at the C3C map editor. It lists all units and what they upgrade to. Just check what the War Chariot upgrades to.

I can't look at the editor, but the war chariot upgrades to a knight. I confess that I have never seen an Egyptian horseman, whether mine or from the AI. Are you sure it was Egyptian and not, say, another Civ with a similar background color? Personally, I have several times confused units when I can't tell their colors apart. Thank goodness the game warns you when you try to attack a Civ you aren't already at war against!

I didn't realize that Immortals were at 4 attack. In Vanilla they were a 3 attack and I just never checked when I started building them. it's one of those things you can't see for looking at it.

I'm sure that in the game I thought I saw an Egyptian Horseman, there were no other yellow civs.
I guess that the fact that War Chariots are wheeled and Horses aren't means that you get the chance to build them? But that should mean you can upgrade War Chariots to them, too. I dunno.

I didn't realize that Immortals were at 4 attack. In Vanilla they were a 3 attack and I just never checked when I started building them. it's one of those things you can't see for looking at it.

Immortal was not 3 attack in vanilla. They have always been 4.

Immortal was not 3 attack in vanilla. They have always been 4.
Well there yah go.

I really don't pay any attention to that stuff.. even though I should. I just consider "tougher than" and don't worry about the details.

I've got a question. I just had my first successful campaign and now I have one tiny city stuck in a corner until i've conquered everything. But the city has 10+ Infantry protecting it. My group of marines keep getting destroyed without even taking one out. Any suggestions on what kills infantry quickly?

I've got a question. I just had my first successful campaign and now I have one tiny city stuck in a corner until i've conquered everything. But the city has 10+ Infantry protecting it. My group of marines keep getting destroyed without even taking one out. Any suggestions on what kills infantry quickly?

try to bomb hell out of them (do you have any bombers or naval units nearby?)
and then attack with marines
good luck :goodjob:

tomislav and tone: yeah I just tried that. 17-25 (i lost count after so many different planes being re-based) jets and the first bombers you get, 3 nukes, and an ICMB or whatever. I destroyed the people (the nukes and ICMB) but I lost the troops next to it so I couldn't steal the town.

The bombers and ship bombardment is probably the best way to go. But it would be interesting to see if you could successfully blockade them out. Since they only have one city my thinking is they are having to pay a lot of support to maintain that many units, so if you can fill every ocean square within the cities radius you may be able to bankrupt him forcing him down to 1 or 2 units. This worked great in Civ 1 since cities had to have shields to support their troops.

Just an idea I thought I'd throw out there.

When this happens there is only one solution

shhh... :scan: ... it's the :spear: gambit....

use longbows. I had a game where they were the only unit that could kill infantry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom