Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
It actually happened to me. And the worker got destroyed. But I would never let them destroy my settlers. I always take 2 units with it :D.

I have been playing an AW game and when I took Hamburg it was settling in to be a major siege situation with both the Germans and the Iroquois wanting to get their hands on it. (I got mired down trying to keep a town in my last AW game and wasn't going to do that again)

I played a couple of turns while the enemies started showing up and I just figured I was better off without the city.. they might rush a settler but they would give up the onslaught without the cheese in the trap. I was right. they lost interest when the town was gone.

I abandoned the city as I said after about 2 turns... is this considered a Raze by the AI?

If you have more the 50% of the pop in the city you disband, the AI will not give you an attitude hit. If it's equal or less than, then yes, it's an attitude hit.

It is a rep hit if less than half of the population of the city is of your nationality. :)

Edit: Ah, didn't see Turner's post. (new page) :wallbash:

I was sure that I posted my thanks yesterday but the message is not here so I guess that is another blunder to rack up lately.

So thank you gentlemen. Appreciate your prompt reply.

Is it a good idea to take the time to create a settler/2 or 3 worker combo so I can instantly settle them and rush barracks in Despotism, and if so how many do I need exactly to rush it.

(This is in civ 3, and obviously to have a small healing outpost outside of what you think might be a long siege with mounted units which flee)

Is it a good idea to take the time to create a settler/2 or 3 worker combo so I can instantly settle them and rush barracks in Despotism, and if so how many do I need exactly to rush it.

(This is in civ 3, and obviously to have a small healing outpost outside of what you think might be a long siege with mounted units which flee)

Not in every city, I'd evaluate if it is really worth it to build these barracks in a specific city. It will take one turn to complete the barracks, and one turn to heal. If you just fortify and heal the units, they would have healed 2 HP already. Any half damaged vets will be full health and the red-lined vets would only need one additional turn from that point.

That said, one pop gives 20 shields. A barracks cost 20 shields to a militaristic civ, and 40 shields to other civs. So you'll need only 1 worker if you are militaristic.
You can only rush at max 50% of the town's pop, but you'll still only need 2 workers if you have a 20 shield unit available, then you can short-rush that 20 shields unit, switch to barracks and then rush the remaining 20 shields.
If you don't have a 20 shields unit available, you'll need to get to pop 4 first.

I know this has been answered but I want to know exactly how anti-air-defense works?

Is there a chance that when a naval ship is bombed it intercepts the bomber with a missile or does it work in a different function?

Not in every city, I'd evaluate if it is really worth it to build these barracks in a specific city. It will take one turn to complete the barracks, and one turn to heal. If you just fortify and heal the units, they would have healed 2 HP already. Any half damaged vets will be full health and the red-lined vets would only need one additional turn from that point.

That said, one pop gives 20 shields. A barracks cost 20 shields to a militaristic civ, and 40 shields to other civs. So you'll need only 1 worker if you are militaristic.
You can only rush at max 50% of the town's pop, but you'll still only need 2 workers if you have a 20 shield unit available, then you can short-rush that 20 shields unit, switch to barracks and then rush the remaining 20 shields.
If you don't have a 20 shields unit available, you'll need to get to pop 4 first.
But if it's a new build wouldn't it cost 40 shields to rush for militaristic and 80 for non?

I know this has been answered but I want to know exactly how anti-air-defense works?

Is there a chance that when a naval ship is bombed it intercepts the bomber with a missile or does it work in a different function?

I've always understood it to work the same as if two land units were fighting, except that it would just be the one roll. I could be mistaken on that tho.

Air defense is rather difficult to comprehend at first, but I've heard it explained in this way....

The unit's anti-air defense isn't really a 4 or 2 or whatever the civpedia says it is. Rather, it's a .4 or .2. The number given in the stats is divided by ten. Then, that number is applied against the bombers defense. So, a destroyer (with AA of 2) has a 1/10 chance to shoot down a bomber (def of 2).

When there are multiple units in a stack with AA, the best four of them get a chance at knocking down the bombers. Having more than four flak or mobile SAM's in a stack is pointless, as they won't get a chance to shoot.

Not quite as often as the city riots. ;)

If the city goes into Civil disorder, there is a chance (50% ?) that the nuclear plant in that city will melt down. If you keep your people reasonable happy (and avoid severe War Weariness) then you won't have a problem.

I have never seen a nuclear plant melt down in any of my games.

Here's my Q.

Whatever happened to the "Screenshots of the Worst Start ever" thread that was here a while ago, where people posted THE worst starts they ever had, and I think some people even played those out.

Not quite as often as the city riots. ;)

If the city goes into Civil disorder, there is a chance (50% ?) that the nuclear plant in that city will melt down. If you keep your people reasonable happy (and avoid severe War Weariness) then you won't have a problem.

I have never seen a nuclear plant melt down in any of my games.

Also, it will never happen on the first turn of civil disorder, so as long as you take action right away, you'll never have a meltdown.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom