1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick (dumb) question about resources

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by Nell2ThaIzzay, Feb 13, 2005.

1. Nell2ThaIzzay

Nell2ThaIzzay Chieftain

Is there an easy way to check out where a particular resource might be on the map?

Here's the situation I'm in:

I just entered the Industrial Age, and the first thing I researched was Steam Power, so I could locate a source of coal. So as soon as I research it, I check my trade advisor (when I researched Gunpowder, I didn't think to check the map for saltpeter, but luckily a source appeared right where I already had a road and mine, so I had instant access to it), and there's no coal connected to any of my cities.

Coolness, no problem, but I'm just wondering if there is a way, w/o checking every single tile on the map, to get a location on where some coal might be. I've done a manual check, and I don't see any in my borders. I also have the entire world mapped out, due to being the first to get Magnetism, so I have plenty of ships searching the oceans, and I traded world maps with the Incans so I have a view of the whole world. In my scan, I haven't located a source of coal inside my borders or otherwise.

Now of course, it is very likely that it's there, and I just missed it. This is why I ask if there is a way to get a basic idea where it might be at, so I can decide if and where I'll need to go to war to get it.

And if it helps at all, I also attatched my current save file.

Now, in the meantime, I'm off to embark on my quest for coal. And I thank you in advance for your assistance to this dumb question :eek:

2. Trev

Trev Prince

Use ctrl/shift/m I think, this eliminates all cities and improvements from the map, leaving terrain only, making it easy to see any resources present

3. Nell2ThaIzzay

Nell2ThaIzzay Chieftain

Cool, thanks.

I did locate coal, unfortunatley there is none on my continent. It is located only by the Incans and another deposit by the Celts.

However, I've made a trading partner in the Incans, and I have my coal this way. But thanks for the keyboard commands, I'll remember that next time. :goodjob:

4. soul_warrior

soul_warrior Termite!

you could also check the diplo screen, check if any of the AI have some for trade.
    it would minimize your searching area...

5. Tomoyo

Tomoyo Fate

F2 I find is easier though.

6. TimBentley

TimBentley Deity

7. Nell2ThaIzzay

Nell2ThaIzzay Chieftain

Normally I would just do that, but in this particular instance, myself and the Incans were the only 2 civs to have Steam Power researched (in fact, to be honest, I believe I was the first), and I didn't wanna wait around for other civs to research it to find out where it was at.

8. MajorFallout

MajorFallout Battalion-Command

Another thing to bear in mind...
    Strategic resources; some of them do appear ("we've discovered a new source of xxx") occasionally. I believe that Iron, Oil and to a lesser degree Coal & Aluminium can appear later on, as new tile resouces, by your cities and workers later on.