Quick question

Civ2Fan

Chieftain
Hello there,

I'm new here and this is the first time I've visited so I apologize if this question has been discussed before.

I'm not sure what version of Civ 2 I have, but I have a bug or something that causes the center of the map to create some type of boundary that my ships cannot cross. For instance if I send a transport from one continent to another and this boundary is in the way, it reaches the boundary and then turns around all goes all the way around the other way. But land units don't do this.

Is there a patch or something I can get to correct this?

Thanks

I believe this is just a bug in the "go to" command. You describe your sea units "turning around". This would probably be because they are not under manual control, am I right?
It is just a feature of the game that the "go to" command is fairly screwed, and so I never use it except for occasional caravans and freight on land. The computer will always take the longest route, I believe, and there is no way to get around this unfortunately.

The game doesn't treat the meridian line correctly for most things. You can even build two cities, one on each side of the line and they can both work on the same terrain.

The easiest way I found around it is to send the ships up to the Meridian line, then manually move them across it, then give them goto orders to the final destination.

Originally posted by Danja
Isnt it annoying when you make units go somewhere and they go the opposite direction?

Yeah, but in someways, I'd rather do it manually because I usually find something else I need to do with my unit, like defending a city or something. It can be a hassle to try and find the unit and call him back.
The Civ3 pathing system is nice, though. :cooool:

after playing civ2 for a couple of years, i can't see how anyone would trust the movement of a unit to the go-to command, it just doesn't work well enough, often enough. My advice is to give it up and do everything one space at a time

Thanks for the responses, but it happens when I manually tell ships where to go. The "go to" command doesn't work all that well I've found, since the ships tend to get trapped when they're next to islands or archipelagos.

Thanks again.

Top Bottom