Quick victories

I won a domination victory as ARC on turn 138 at Vostok difficulty on a Duel map, but didn't get any of the Steam achievements (I should have gotten Chief Extraterrestrial Officer, Pojexali, Resistance is Futile, Aim to Misbehave, and That New Planet Smell).

The achievement issue may be a Steam bug, or it may be due to the method I used to win - I staged a coup in the opponent's capital with a spy.

Check this out:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=13535749#post13535749

N

Fastest I got was t190 Contact (no Progenitor ruins though), t210 Supremacy, t230 Harmony (though I didn't build enough cities to speed it up). Haven't tried Purity yet due to the mechanics. All on Apollo.

The Tech Web combined with Free Techs combined with ridiculous Science from Trade Routes and there you have it.

Quick game ,apollo, small map, protean, extra worker , +2 science, 1 city - domination victory 95 turns

Im not sure if this is a bug or not but on the game I just played, I hit five progenitor ruins on the map an two of them gave me a piece of the signal(I thought you could only get one piece from them?) and was able to "decode" signal on turn 60 something, and ended up getting a turn 110 contact victory.

Pure Cheese: Turn 48 Domination on a Duel Map. Kozlov, Scientists, Clinic, 100 Energy. Elodie landed late.

Just need Affinity 2, 1 Marine, 3 Gunners. (I built 4, but it didn't really slow me down since the bottleneck allowed it to catch up.) Got Affinity 1 with the free Tech, the other with Cultural Burden. Had to go around a giant Canyon/Mountain range and through a 1 tile bottleneck in the Hills/Forest next to a Nest. Siege Worms also slowed me down a few turns. Scientists + Clinic was overkill on the tech rate. So swap in Machinery or Engineers.

A direct path between capitals and/or a Progenitor Ruins Affinity could speed things up a lot. I'd think turn 30-35ish is possible with a Gunner rush on the perfect map/pops.

Not sure if you can do it with just Marines. Something to try.

Attachments

• early-domination.jpg
    early-domination.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 77
Perhaps a quick fix for the contact victory would be to either require all 3 sources of the Signal (no expeditions saving you a ton of turns), or just having the expeditions that would yield the Signal just give you progress towards one of the relevant techs? It would keep it from being too devastating.

I thought that requiring all 3 would be a fix, but you can't make the victory entirely dependent on map luck (even more than it is now). Your second suggestion sounds better.

The stupid thing is: the ruins are very important lore-wise. How would you know about the aliens otherwise?

It's probably possible to change that around in the game-logic that you are disqualified from finding signal fragments in ruins after you found the first one. That forces you to get the other piece from elsewhere - and then it's more of a tech web design issue and has more to do with the general pacing of the game (the very short "mid-game" section).

Pure Cheese: Turn 48 Domination on a Duel Map. Kozlov, Scientists, Clinic, 100 Energy. Elodie landed late.

Just need Affinity 2, 1 Marine, 3 Gunners. (I built 4, but it didn't really slow me down since the bottleneck allowed it to catch up.) Got Affinity 1 with the free Tech, the other with Cultural Burden. Had to go around a giant Canyon/Mountain range and through a 1 tile bottleneck in the Hills/Forest next to a Nest. Siege Worms also slowed me down a few turns. Scientists + Clinic was overkill on the tech rate. So swap in Machinery or Engineers.

A direct path between capitals and/or a Progenitor Ruins Affinity could speed things up a lot. I'd think turn 30-35ish is possible with a Gunner rush on the perfect map/pops.

Not sure if you can do it with just Marines. Something to try.

This reminds me of the Civ V pure cheese Deity victory runs I made with:

Attila/Duel/Deity/Standard Pace.

I'd rush to Battering Rams, usually hoping to a free one from a goody hut being popped by a warrior or whatever, then rush the AI. Got down to turn 50 or so for victory. Main issue was always what the terrain between their capital and mine was (forests and hills were the general problem).

But I have yet to try the same in Civ:BE yet...

It's probably possible to change that around in the game-logic that you are disqualified from finding signal fragments in ruins after you found the first one. That forces you to get the other piece from elsewhere - and then it's more of a tech web design issue and has more to do with the general pacing of the game (the very short "mid-game" section).

So it is possible to get both pieces from ruins? I thought it was a bug.

yes it is this is the worst victory in the game if you don't plan on playing long than use it. if there is 1 vic that needs a serious overhaul it's this one.

nabbed a turn 120 victory on apollo via domination abusing arcs coup, but other than that with the right start contact can easily be gotten 130-150 which kind of saddens me as apollo ai dont even try to win by that point and if they dont attack you directly you can just win every game lol

It's kind of hard for me to understand how people are getting contact victories so quickly. What is everyone doing, spamming explorers like crazy to find the two pieces?

I usually can't find any ruins to get the pieces for the life of me with 2-3 explorers out, and the satellite is too far out of the way on the tech tree for me to get quickly. Most of the time I just eventually decide not to bother and go domination instead like I usually do. (always play on apollo standard/standard or epic, if it matters)

It's kind of hard for me to understand how people are getting contact victories so quickly. What is everyone doing, spamming explorers like crazy to find the two pieces?

I think its just luck. And its the lucky or unlucky ones that are replying to this thread.

Eight players, seven with huge bonuses. Playing many thousands (millions!?!!) of games. Some people are going to get lucky/unlucky in their first or second game.

Top Bottom