R.E.D. WWII: Concepts & Suggestions

Is there anything to be said for adding a new city for the UK in Europe 1939?

One of the main problems when playing as the UK is that it starts off with a unit limit of 7, and most of that is quickly taken up by convoys. Also in the early game there isn't much room for British expansion, unlike the axis countries, while fairly soon Britain itself is under attack when (or if) France falls. And since Britain starts off with one of the lowest production bases its very difficult to build up a decent army and air force to defend itself, while at the same time finding itself stretched across Europe. Also, as new operation and units are added in the future, this will become worse.

I can identify two practical ways to boost this limit and avoid the slowdown in production. First by killing of its navy units. I think some people do this, but I tend to let France die and reinforce Norway and Africa. And this means that, at the beginning at least, I have to keep a strong navy around the mainland to fend off operation Seelowe. And by the time naval units become useless its already the second half of the game and the allies are on the offensive.

The second way is to take cities in Libya. In the current game this is reasonably easy, but if an operation Sonnenblume is going to be introduced and the African campaign extended then this wont really be an option.

Anyway I decided to make a list of unit limits for each available country for comparison to prove a point.

France: 54 - 28 starting units = Starting Unit supply of 28
Greece: 20 - 10 staring units = Starting Unit supply of 10
UK: 41 - 34 staring units = Starting Unit supply of 7
Germany: 51 - 28 staring units = Starting Unit supply of 23
Italy: 45 - 29 staring units = Starting Unit supply of 16
USSR: 113 - 15 staring units = Starting Unit supply of 98

As you can see Britain starts of with the largest number of units (though mostly naval and spread across the map) but still has the second lowest overall limit. Obviously comparing the UK's situation to that of Germany (who's supply is quickly boosted by conquests in Poland) or the USSR (who start off with a massive supply but lose a large amount of cities quickly after fighting begins) is stupid, but similar countries like france or italy have higher limits.

I'd say Greece has a good limit. High enough for some build up during its year and a half peace, with room for expansion to the north east.

France has a large starting supply, but a large amount of that will be lost to the Germans at first. But enough to absorb that and produce more units alongside the convoys it receives.

I'd say Italy is the country best comparable to the UK. Naval based, and with room for expansion in east africa. However Italy still starts off a higher unit limit, as well as the cities gained during the fall of france.

Anyway to cut this short my suggestion is to give the UK a new city. My suggestion would be Glasgow, since there's a good bit of room in the north west of Scotland. Also Glasgow was one of the big industrial cities of the time. Another possibility would be to make Palestine or something part of Britain, though this could be a bad precedent for the removing other nation states in Africa.

If a city was added with a population of 8, then the stating unit limit would only be boosted to 15, still less than Italy. This would still put pressure on Britain, but at the same time give a little extra breathing space. It would allow britain to build a reasonable army and air force, along with researching units and any future operation, without removing the challenge that the unit limit presents.

Anyway that's my rather long winded suggestion.
Aye, it is a big problem. Maybe to overcome that, Egypt should be British controlled and Algeria/Tunisia/Morocco should be French.

Also, a good Europe map, near the very end of this project should start in 1912 - Greece and friendly city states vs Ottomans. Then WW1 ends and then 1919 Ottomans declare war on Greece and Poland is at war with the Soviet Union. World War 2 happens. Then the cold war in Europe (greek civil war and Operation Unthinkable (a plan for england to attack russia))

Also, a good Europe map, near the very end of this project should start in 1912 - Greece and friendly city states vs Ottomans. Then WW1 ends and then 1919 Ottomans declare war on Greece and Poland is at war with the Soviet Union. World War 2 happens. Then the cold war in Europe (greek civil war and Operation Unthinkable (a plan for england to attack russia))

I feel as though that would overstep this mod's focus. Also, that scenario would have to simulate the Great Depression, which would be difficult to do within the existing economic system. That said, it would be rather interesting to see...

Indeed, this mod is a wargame.

I may add scenarios from other eras based on the same rules (WWI, Napoleon, and a "R.E.D Storm Rising" is also in my wish list...) but I don't think that the mod can simulate inter-wars periods.

And I'll think about the additional city for England, make sense.

I appear to have a problem with bombing cities. When I try to bomb it it takes damage, then heals the same amount of damage done to it. I also found if you do an air sweep over the city it will also heal the city, this does not matter who owns the city, so I have used it to heal cities that took lots of damage.

Cities will not take air damage past 1/4th of the total. The healing is a bug which has already been reported.

I may add scenarios from other eras based on the same rules (WWI, Napoleon, and a "R.E.D Storm Rising" is also in my wish list...) but I don't think that the mod can simulate inter-wars periods.

Sounds like a good idea (napoleon and ww1).
Also, if England needs an extra city, then the perfect idea is the Orkney isles or a channel island!

I would love to see a Pacific theater WWII map scenario. Thanks for the European one, I enjoy it a lot!

Alright, so a couple of things:

A few things that should be changed, mainly to make the AI better at fighting:

Light Fighters as a class shouldn't be able to attack cities. The AI, particularly England, tends to stack their Spitfires and just continually attack your nearest city, effectively wasting their materials and turn move because usually the city gets down near 1/4 pretty fast. While this does have the effect of 'destroying your industry', limiting Fighters to be unable to attack cities would mean that they'd have to target units, and Units get destroyed and cost a lot in upkeep of materials, so it'd be a better use of their time.

Russia needs a lot more population, and a at least a few more manufacturies behind the Urals. The population would add production, obviously, but it also just needs a much bigger unit cap. This is the easy part. A harder thing would be to force them to keep the vast majority of their units toward their hostile borders.

The convoys heading to Murmansk should deliver 3x or 5x the units to this city, planes and tanks.

There needs to be code that starts spawning infantry in Siberia after Winter 1942.

In the LUA, there is already code for destroyers to hunt subs. Destroyers really should be the only ones able to actually see submarines. As it is, Subs are only a good bet if you can park them in a coastal city, otherwise they are much too vulnerable and aren't worth the money for long term deployment.

e:
I know it's been floated a few times before, but the Atlantic needs to be extended another 7-10 tiles, and some kind of CS America that spawns a lot of convoys. The CS then gets annexed by Britian in Week2 of December 1941. It definitely wouldn't have to be as extensive as the 1936 Eastern Seaboard, just a few very big cities with another 8 or 10 manufactories.

And this Unit cap thing is getting pretty annoyingwhen the AI builds asymmetrical militaries. There is a tendency for them to build wayyyyy too much of one single type of unit, typically a cheap unit. The exception to this is UK's building of the Spitfire, but the caveat is that they dont use it properly (as aformentioned, by attacking cities). A solution to this under the current system is just dramatically more population, which i've been adding after-the-fact to basically all opposing AI's whoever i play. Another thing is to modify the Defines LUA and add a bunch of specific factories to the major AI cities (for AI only), so that they build a balanced class type of Sea/Land/LightAir/HeavyAir units. This is particularly important for UK and Russia.

A couple question:

What is the real advantage to have 'colonies' as CS's and not directly owned?

As best i can tell, the AI doesn't give a flying f**K about their allied CS's when they themselves are under attack. UK especially seems to abandon Egypt pretty early. An alternative to making Egypt more defensible is to add a brief convoy rout that spawns at the bottom of the Red Sea and supplies armor and infantry (Australian/Indian whatevers).

Could Russia benefit from a Unique Building that dramatically increases the rate of Infantry and Artillery Production?

Not just historically, but also in practical terms for the game, Russia needs a tremendous amount of Units to properly defend itself. Because the Germany military with even a halfway decent Human is incredibly overpowered, they really need some kind of further advantage in terms of unit production beyond the Personnel Reinforcement Rate. As i mentioned earlier, they do infact build 40-60 infantry and 20+ tanks, but they never deploy them all together all at once to the front, diminishing their value as a total fighting force. If possible, Units should not be 'garrison-able' to any city east of Stalingrad/Moscow. Im not sure if this would involve a tremendous amount of special coding, or some kind of special building that kills the units ability to fortify within the city, but as it is, the Russia AI wastes about half of its units just sitting in their cities

Not *soon* for the big one.

Waiting for BNW, then I plan a small DLL fix ASAP after the source is released (until then the mod will not work at all), then I'll resume work on the next update, and fix any balance/incompatibility introduced with the new vanilla patch (supposing the BNW release is similar to G+K)

After the initial fix, I'll switch my DLL development to BNW only, as it was already difficult enough to allow compatibility between vanilla/G+K versions of the mod (not only in making the mod, but also in the technical support side), and because my other mod using the feature from R.E.D. WWII will be coded for BNW.

If anyone want to make a Vanilla and/or G+K conversion, I'll be happy to help, but you'll have to know the basis (i.e. how to make a working DLL mod for those versions)

This is not to bash or anything, as you know from posting a few months back I loved it, but..

Is this mod still alive, progress being made? I reinstalled it again and I can't even seem to get to the war as Greece without crashing. It randomly crashes.

I've turned off scripted events and it went faster, but then it crashed again..

I'm playing 1939 Europe, the most stabile map by the looks of it. Newest Data and core files, also using Xtreme with it for that nice look. Is this the problem you think? Please let me know.

Edit: Just saw your last post, sorry. >_>

This is not to bash or anything, as you know from posting a few months back I loved it, but..

Is this mod still alive, progress being made? I reinstalled it again and I can't even seem to get to the war as Greece without crashing. It randomly crashes.

I've turned off scripted events and it went faster, but then it crashed again..

I'm playing 1939 Europe, the most stabile map by the looks of it. Newest Data and core files, also using Xtreme with it for that nice look. Is this the problem you think? Please let me know.

Edit: Just saw your last post, sorry. >_>

The crash is probably the Convoy bug. Enable LUA logging and look at the last events listed in the log and that's the cause of your crash.

You can fix it with the Ingame Editor Mod, removing bugging convoys. ;-)

PS :
Enable lua loging : open the config.ini file (in "..\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5") with notepad or any other text editor, find the line with "LoggingEnabled = 0" and replace by "LoggingEnabled = 1"

Hello Gedemon, I have a few ideas for this wonderful mod. It will improve the game play and experience for the players. If you don't want to hear them or just don't have the time I understand. It adds workers, that are like great engineers. Sorry I posted this in the wrong place the first time. :p

After completing the 1939 Europe map, I have a couple of suggestions.

Firstly, I noticed that only Germany seemed to have access to Paratroopers, shouldn't Britain, Italy and Russia have access to the VDV and British and Italian Airborne forces? Also more Special Forces-Type Infantry could be added, like the the Special Air Service.

Secondly, could the Hawker Hurricane be added to the British side? The Spitfires quickly get very useless against BF-109 after the Germans get the F-variant.

Great mod overall, had alot of fun with both the 1939 Europe and Stalingrad Scenarios. I wish there could be a Cold War Scenario in the future using this map :cool:

Paratroopers for more nations, 2nd infantry types (Marines for US, Naval Infantry for USSR, SS infantry for Germany, ...) and a lot more units (including fighter-bombers) are planned for next version.

Is there anything to be said for removing the teams?

It's just that when playing as part of a team the AI completely dumbs down. Its only a huge problem when the human player is Italy and AI germany doesn't do anything. I suppose it would also help with DoW outside the alliance, like when Italy declared war on Greece and Germany didn't.

I know the reason teams exist is so you can view your allies screen, so is there a way of making no allied civ screens available? I don't know if it's possible but it could help give the allied AI's some more brains.

PS: Can't wait for the next update, sounds amazing :thumbsup:

Viewing your ally's map is vital. But yeah, DOWs out of an alliance would be good!

Hey I just started to play your mod and let me say its awesome.

Also are you going to implement strategic bombing? And better planes that can take out troops on the ground?

The supply system I think needs a little work as well. One of my tanks was cut off right outside one of my cities in America.

Another thing is the dates of Germany declaring war against all the other civs. The dates are all correct, but when France is invading Germany and then Germany goes on to declare war on the USSR it gets kind of ridiculous. My suggestion is that the AI can't declare war on the next country until a condition is met. Like Germany can't declare war on the USSR until France is out.

Other then that I love this mod

Top Bottom