R&F and Multiplayer

Metecury

Prince
Have the devs specified whether all players in a multiplayer game must have the expansion to play together?

As of right now unlike the multiplayer of Civ 5 wonders, city states and civs that come from DLC can be present in the game even if not all players have said DLCs, I was wondering whether the same will be possible with R&F.

Paradox games allow everyone to play whatever version of the game the host of a multiplayer game has with all DLCs even if the others do not own them. Honestly I find this to be the best approach since it is hard to get all in a group to get the expansions immediately and generally they end up doing so anyway down the line because they got a chance to try it out in multiplayer and want to enjoy the same mechanics when playing on their own.

So do we have any idea about what Firaxis has planned in this regard?

I would be surprised if you could play R&F multiplayer if you don't own R&F. There are a lot more changes than what a DLC provides.

That said, I don't think we have confirmation either way.

Have the devs specified whether all players in a multiplayer game must have the expansion to play together?
I would expect so, it's not optional components like DLCs but changes to the game engine itself. Hard to see how it could work if you were on different expansions.

As of right now unlike the multiplayer of Civ 5 wonders, city states and civs that come from DLC can be present in the game even if not all players have said DLCs, I was wondering whether the same will be possible with R&F.

I didn't realize they had changed that for Civ 6, that's pretty cool.

Paradox games allow everyone to play whatever version of the game the host of a multiplayer game has with all DLCs even if the others do not own them. Honestly I find this to be the best approach since it is hard to get all in a group to get the expansions immediately and generally they end up doing so anyway down the line because they got a chance to try it out in multiplayer and want to enjoy the same mechanics when playing on their own.

So do we have any idea about what Firaxis has planned in this regard?

I'm guessing not unfortunately, but who knows. The big issue would probably be that it's likely to be pretty large - like 1.5 GIGS + - which is a lot to download every time you start a multiplayer game. In comparison, the DLC are pretty small (as are most of Paradox's games). I guess they could just download it for everyone and only 'activate' it if you had it a key or multiplayer, but that has it's own issues.

Top Bottom