RANDle in the Jungle

Bumb :bump:

Or is everyone too lazy:rolleyes:

It is very hard to generate a good Khmer start. There are usually good commerce sources to be found, but there are often no food at all. And more often than not, it starts in Africa.
And if we start in Africa, not only there is a horde of impis and camel archers coming to pillage, but we often just have 1 settler (although I did flip 2 Ethiopian cities once, unfortunately I have to quit the game because of the "cheap settler" bug).

However, if we are going to play in Monarch, doesn't that sounds like the right difficulty? At least we have elephants to fight off the camel archers.

Ok, I have a start.

We start in Southeast Asia with China to our North. Two settlers (which is rare), two decent city sites (also rare), and not much barbarian threat.

If people decide to use this, I can either lurk or join as the last one, since I have played a bit and know the surroundings. But I shall leave the opening to someone else.

I am using the optimising files from MAM, so if people are playing they should use the same files (found in this post).

Showing the start:

Attachments

• Suryavarman II Medieval Age Turn 157.CivBeyondSwordSave
    321.1 KB · Views: 105
I'll take a look at the save tommorow (sp?) morning, getting ready to hit the sack.

Thats a long tomorrow :lol:

Note to self: never say you're gonna do something tomorrow without writing it down. :p

Here's my thoughts on our position:
Moved a couple of units to reveal more area, looks like only 1 decent city site, but that's for 3rd or 2nd city. For our 1st city I haven't a clue :crazyeye: my thought is on the hill 1W, and then we need a filler city to claim copper and stone, I think the best spot would be 2, even tho it's still pretty bad-looking.

Attachments

• Suryavarman II Medieval Age Turn 157.CivBeyondSwordSave
    321.3 KB · Views: 126
  • Civ4ScreenShot0015.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0015.JPG
    130 KB · Views: 1,012
If you generate enough Khmer starts, you will see that this is not shabby at all.

The best city is no doubt the one SE of the rice. Food, commerce resources, on the river and on the coast. You really can't ask for more than this. Notice that gold in the jungle can be mined. With bureaucracy, this can support research early on.

The 2nd city has to be one 1S of the stone. 3 resources and decent production to start. Good enough for me.

Again, as the Khmer, if you start in Africa there is the possibility of never getting a food resource until the 3rd or 4th city. Having food for the very first two cities is good enough. And we are in Asia so we can meet more civs to trade.

General direction:
1. Are we going to be pacifist or to conquer China early?
2. Are we adopting Buddhism or free religion via the Shwedagon Paya?

We also need a roster.

Maybe we should decide that after 10-20 turns, to see which direction of play will be best.

Just a question but shouldn't we use version 1.1 optimized, it would make the turn waits alot shorter. Still undecided.

P.S.-Everyone has to have it installed otherwise the saves won't work properly as I discovered.
The saves are compatible with non-optimized saves. At least they should be...they work for me. I updated the original post in my thread, too. Just an FYI.

Top Bottom